Space X Crew Dragon Explodes

Nicnac

On April 20th SpaceX was performing an engine test on its recovered Dragon 2 capsule when an anomaly occured. Large clouds of orange tinted smoke were seen for miles around the test site and sources have reported that the capsule can been destroyed. There's not much information to go on at this time, but it's likely that this will result in the commercial crew program being further delayed.

Elon hasn't commented yet which he is usually quick to do after such events which doesn't seem to be a good sign.

A good video by Scott Manley:

Orange smoke means a bunch of Dinitrogen Tetroxide probably along with some Hydrazine... Nasty stuff.

We don't even know what state the capsule is in currently. Rumours say it's in pieces but this has not been confirmed.

The Draco Thrusters -one of which was probably causing this- are in a separate, armored compartment within the capsule to protect occupants.

Source

How far is this gonna push back the possibility of US astronauts to launch on US rockets again?

Boeing has also had issues with their launch abort systems recently.

UPDATE:

some unofficial footage of the test firing:

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

Elon hasn't commented yet which he is usually quick to do after such events which doesn't seem to be a good sign.

maybe he's finally learnt his lesson and not posting anything until it's been reviewed by a few people to make sure it doesn't land him in hot water

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

maybe he's finally learnt his lesson and not posting anything until it's been reviewed by a few people to make sure it doesn't land him in hot water

funny, cause the water landing probably caused this failure :P

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Dont worry, according to Elon Musk everything is going as planned

Rapid, Planned and Scheduled Disassembly.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

How far is this gonna push back the possibility of US astronauts to launch on US rockets again?

It depends on whether it was the refurbished unit and if the refurbishment can be linked to the problem.

3 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

It depends on whether it was the refurbished unit and if the refurbishment can be linked to the problem.

It was the unit that was supposed to be refurbished later and send up again. They will probably not be able to do it now but They do have a backup vehicle. Just would have been smooth af to reuse the first Dragon right away to show the technical superiority over ovther systems. Scott Manley estimates this might push back the next Dragon Launch a whole year..

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

58 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Was only 750k fine per word last time.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

he definitely hasn't and i doubt he needs to have anything reviewed. thankfully spacex is not public so the SEC can go fuck themselves.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

This will continue to happen till they find a way to include a BBQ on the capsule. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Well first reused capsule explodes, why am i not surprised? second one will work perfectly.

33 minutes ago, Kierax said:

This will continue to happen till they find a way to include a BBQ on the capsule. 

Mmm yes, I do love me some hydrozine infused steak! One of those feed you for the rest of your life even!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

47 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Mmm yes, I do love me some hydrozine infused steak! One of those feed you for the rest of your life even!

The space BBQ must exist :D 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

A lot better to learn hard lessons at this stage. I want us on the moon, mars and grabbing asteroids before I die. So best to make the most of the opportunity to learn from this now. 

good thing that this happened during test.

Details separate people.

Curious - it exploded around the 8 second mark during the final countdown, which means it exploded prior to proper ignition.

That will no doubt help the engineers figure out what the cause was.

hope it was something limited to the re-useable nature of it, and not an inherent design flaw.

They'll now need to test a fresh capsule in the abort launch system. I hope it doesn't delay things overly.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)