How loud is your D5 pump?

I was watching a Singularity Computers video and he mentioned that he leaves hid pumps running at 100% at all times because of how quiet they are.

I've just completed my first ever loop and my D5 PWM (EK 140 pump/res combo) is anything but quiet at 100%.  Even 50% is audible to me.  I'm wondering what other people have experienced with their D5s?

Regarding the noise i do have one concern.  When filling the loop i didn't realise that when turning my PSU off the pump didn't stop instantly and I think it sucked in air for a second or two.  I'm aware that pumps should never be run dry and i'm wondering how to tell if a pump has suffered damaged?

My last noob question is about powering the D5.  My EK one has a molex and a 4pin, should both be used together or is it meant to be one or the other?  I'm currently running it with both connected and i can still make use of the PWM.  

Thanks

I have dual D5's, and I run them at 65%. Can't hear them unless i stick my head up to the case. I think most of the noise people experience with the D5 is related to case reverberations and not the pump itself. I made padded feet for mine and this helped with the issue.

I have a D5 vario , its at its max setting (5) all the time, for the last 4 years.

Runnign a pump dry isnt ideal, but for a short burst, and when damp, it isnt goign to hurt it.

D5's will sound noisy in 2 scenarios.

1) Micro bubbles/ air going through the pump will cause cavitation and will sound like a churning grinding noise.

2) the pump isnt suitably isolated from the case, resulting in the vibrations being amplified and thus noisy.

I ,until recently, had my Pump isolated via about 3 layers of thin foam.

1 between the main bracket and a custom L bracket,

1 between the L bracket and a wood spacer,

and another between the wood spacer and the bottom of the case it was bolted to.

The result was i barely felt any vibrations on the case and it was near silent, couldn't hear it over the gentle woosh of air from the rad fans.

However i have recently changed cases and now it it directly attached to the rear of the case with only 1 very thin layer of foam between it and the case, i feel the vibrations on the case now and it is somewhat audible if i turn my fans down to like 500 rpm, but at 1000 rpm i cant distinguish the pump humm from the noise of moving air.

Long story short, D5's are very quiet, so long as u at least attempt to isolate them. if you dont, then of course you will hear them. And if u fail to purge air from the system, or base ur judgments on the immediate sound of the pump after filling ur loop without giving it time to settle, then again its going to sound incredibly noisy.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 hours ago, Goobertron said:

<snip>

My last noob question is about powering the D5.  My EK one has a molex and a 4pin, should both be used together or is it meant to be one or the other?  I'm currently running it with both connected and i can still make use of the PWM.  

Thanks

If you want to control the speed of your pump, you'll need to run both the Molex and the PWM cables. On your D5, if you leave the PWM cable off (or it isn't getting a signal), the pump will run al 100%.

As for noise levels, I have mine running at 40% for daily use and 60% when benchmarking. At 40% with my Pump/Res mounted to my front radiator via an EK-UNI pump bracket I can honestly say I've never heard the pump once the air was out of the system.

The picture below shows how i've mounted my pump/res, it's the only logical place for it imho. Please ignore the loop order nonsense, its an old picture.

bsXaeMQ.jpg

It's quite thin metal that it's mounted to which probably doesn't help.  Would you be able to advise me on how to soft mount it?

Thanks

9 hours ago, Goobertron said:
I was watching a Singularity Computers video and he mentioned that he leaves hid pumps running at 100% at all times because of how quiet they are.

I've just completed my first ever loop and my D5 PWM (EK 140 pump/res combo) is anything but quiet at 100%.  Even 50% is audible to me.  I'm wondering what other people have experienced with their D5s?

Regarding the noise i do have one concern.  When filling the loop i didn't realise that when turning my PSU off the pump didn't stop instantly and I think it sucked in air for a second or two.  I'm aware that pumps should never be run dry and i'm wondering how to tell if a pump has suffered damaged?

Thanks

I have a d5 in my define s and its audible but it doesn't help the metal is thin in areas, and my desk also doesn't help with vibrations, i can hear the pump a little due to this, i can hear it in the room below simply because of the desk transferring those vibrations.