Missing the 5.25 bay

romanovangel

Who else is missing the good ol' 5.25 drive bay ?

I know now days you don't really need it anymore but it can still be useful....

Ex: I still need a DVD' s 

I had a lot of problems with 2 laptops and 1 pc where they just couldn't connect to the internet and needed some software from a old DVD ( nothing I downloaded worked )

I want a HDD/ SSD connection port.

I plan to install more operating systems on multiple cheap HDD to try them out ( for fun :)) and I don't want to reinstall or have a single ps for all of them

And what is with fan controllers ? Some people use them 

So a 5.25 drive bay can still be usefull

I still have a dvd drive installed :). It is mainly used when my hdd dies and decides it is now a dvd drive and opens my actual dvd drive when i try to open a file on it. RIP old hdd.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

Okay? Buy a case that has 5.25" slots then.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#G=1,12

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

As far as I'm concerned, cases never had enough 5.25" bays. That's why I'm building a machine with 14 of them.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

9 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

As far as I'm concerned, cases never had enough 5.25" bays. That's why I'm building a machine with 14 of them.

image.png.887aae52bdda4614ad1f0a70352afe21.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

image.png.887aae52bdda4614ad1f0a70352afe21.png

Well, gee, I love you too. 

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 hours ago, quakeguy81 said:

If you really wanted to go old school back when 5.25 inch floppy drives were a thing before we even had CDs or DVDs.

ibm5150.jpg

If you want old school, how about 8" floppies and punch cards? I used to file the punch cards we used to "quickly" look up stock balances and use a thermal transfer machine to transfer transactions from what looked like an overgrown carbon copy to large transaction cards for each stock code. Talk about primitive sneaker net...

Jeannie