Bad case thermals

Fragman1995

Hi guys, what do you think about the looks over function we are getting on the latest years. I got an s340 (i know its not that new but the trend continues) and I did some testing of the temperatures under different conditions, here are the results:

image.png.176b2cd35a1723304f4b5c3932ce9f86.png

*The second square should say "Without front panel but with filter"

So there seems to be a clear correlation between lacking airflow from filters and front panels and sidepanels, to an increase in the cpu temperature. There was also an increase on the gpu temperature but I do not have the recorded results.

That’s why I went with a case that didn’t have a psu shroud but a mesh front. Fractal focus g for cheap (under $50) coolermaster h500 (around $100) for good airflow 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Well, this case is not optimized for airflow at all. It's just for looks.

So yeah...

So I flipped my noctua to intake from the top (imma have a nightmare with the dust later on) and the temps got like 10°C lower.

What is your case layout at the moment? General rule is to have no intakes from the top, and overall trying to run a positive pressure. 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

3 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

What is your case layout at the moment? General rule is to have no intakes from the top, and overall trying to run a positive pressure. 

Red fan is intake, white one is exhaust and the d15 is pulling air from the top grill 

7116EFAD-7015-4247-A8F6-4C457843C024.jpeg

Of course you are getting 10 C lower temps with that setup feeding "cold" fresh air directly to the CPU from the top instead of it pulling air from the top of your GPU that is pre-heated (even with "fresh" air from the front fan).

44 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Of course you are getting 10 C lower temps with that setup feeding "cold" fresh air directly to the CPU from the top instead of it pulling air from the top of your GPU that is pre-heated (even with "fresh" air from the front fan).

I set it that way mostly because the noctua was doing an awful high pitched noise. Turns out that when the fans are in pull they will do that noise, in push they wont. If I tried to do push with the exhaust to the back of the case I would run into clearance issues, as the fan on top of the ram would not let me close the case. I could have done intake from the back of the case, but I settled for the intake on the top, so that the air from the CPU cools at least the backplate of the gpu.