Help with overclocking

I have a 8600k and a gigabyte z370 Ultra gaming and I’m having trouble with the vcore for overclocking when I manually change it it will boot just fine into windows but when I run a stress test the core drops to way below what I set it at, I have it a 1.32v and when I stress test it only will give me 1.28v in Hardware Monitor and before the test it shows the correct voltage, any tips on to what might be causing it iv disabled everything that is recommended for overclocking but it won’t budge over 1.28v, I am newer to overclocking so any tips on where to start?

That is because of a setting called LLC (load line calibration) it causes vcore to drop when he cpu is pulling more power. Try turning the setting up to medium or high or turbo (turbo raises voltage under load). LLC can be found under voltage then advanced power settings in your bios.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

Yea, this is correct.

I would google the motherboard you have (or at least the manufacturer as usually each manufacturer has different settings that are known to be "correct overclocking LLC settings" to see what yours should be.

Basically, to explain what is happening, when you hit the CPU with a load you get what is called vdroop, the voltage drops due to the load being applied. LLC helps combat that, when it senses a large load, it applies more volts to try and compensate. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, alatron978 said:

That is because of a setting called LLC (load line calibration) it causes vcore to drop when he cpu is pulling more power. Try turning the setting up to medium or high or turbo (turbo raises voltage under load). LLC can be found under voltage then advanced power settings in your bios.

I have looked at that but the option that was changed in the guide I was using changed it but my motherboard doesn’t have a option to change it with a drop down menu so should I just type in turbo to change it? all it allows me to change with a drop down is the ac/dc load line and not the load line calibration 

2 minutes ago, Maddtwisted said:

I have looked at that but the option that was changed in the guide I was using changed it but my motherboard doesn’t have a option to change it with a drop down menu so should I just type in turbo to change it? all it allows me to change with a drop down is the ac/dc load line and not the load line calibration 

It should say 'Cpu VCore Load Line Calibration' in voltage > advanced power settings, on the recent bios's but if it doesnt you should just look around and try to find where it is hiding, if you cant find it after looking, check the manual that comes with the motherboard.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

1 minute ago, alatron978 said:

It should say 'Cpu VCore Load Line Calibration' in voltage > advanced power settings, on the recent bios's but if it doesnt you should just look around and try to find where it is hiding, if you cant find it after looking, check the manual that comes with the motherboard.

I see it but it doesn’t have the option to change it like the ac/dc option does, I’ll look at the manual but it’s just weird that it doesn’t have a drop down menu to change it to turbo when I click on it I don’t get any options

8 minutes ago, Maddtwisted said:

I see it but it doesn’t have the option to change it like the ac/dc option does, I’ll look at the manual but it’s just weird that it doesn’t have a drop down menu to change it to turbo when I click on it I don’t get any options

Also on the vcore next to the 1.325 I put in it only shows 1.3v so idk if that is also a factor

51 minutes ago, alatron978 said:

So the manual said nothing about changing it, is there a chance the newer bios update locked it out ? I’m on f14 for the Gigabyte Z370 Ultra gaming 

1 hour ago, alatron978 said:

Found it out u have to type it in and make sure to capitalise the t in turbo for it to work