Chromecast bandwidth usage

tahmid133712

I've noticed recently that the internet slows down terribly when my mum is watching YouTube on the Chromecast. I'm guessing it's using a lot of bandwidth since the videos are streaming at 1920x1080. Does anybody know how to lower the resolution of the Chromecast or limit it's bandwidth usage to force it down to lower resolutions? I have 11mbps package with Sky and I can't really change that.

get a fire stick or a roku so you dont have 2 devices talking over your wifi and jamming up the system its whats screwing you over is what i think. also i think you can change video settings of what your casting from the device your streaming from.

3 hours ago, tahmid133712 said:

11mbps package with Sky and I can't really change that.

That would be your issue. 

3 hours ago, tahmid133712 said:

I'm guessing it's using a lot of bandwidth since the videos are streaming at 1920x1080

Im not sure about bandwidth usage with youtube, but Netflix has their info listed as about 5 Mbps for HD content. You add in all your other internet devices and yeah its pretty fucking bad. What you might do is see if your mom could put the quality down to like 480p or something, that would be a little less stressful on your connection. 

On a side note, I heard Comcast is trying to buy Sky. While Comcast is a bunch of bastards, maybe if they buy Sky you might get a better internet connection out of it. Comcast has Gigabit in about all of its foot print here in the US. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

That would be your issue. 

Im not sure about bandwidth usage with youtube, but Netflix has their info listed as about 5 Mbps for HD content. You add in all your other internet devices and yeah its pretty fucking bad. What you might do is see if your mom could put the quality down to like 480p or something, that would be a little less stressful on your connection. 

On a side note, I heard Comcast is trying to buy Sky. While Comcast is a bunch of bastards, maybe if they buy Sky you might get a better internet connection out of it. Comcast has Gigabit in about all of its foot print here in the US. 

Is there comcast in the UK tho?

1 hour ago, tahmid133712 said:

Is there comcast in the UK tho?

No. But if they buy Sky then technically there would be Comcast in the UK, because they would take ownership of those assets. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.