Reboot and select proper boot device

General_Sad
Go to solution Solved by TheDelphiDude,

My guess is that during the installation the bootmanager was written to the HDD rather than the SSD. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can fix it by removing the HDD, booting from installation media such as a flash drive or DVD, choose the option to repair and then the command prompt.

At the command prompt type:

C:\Windows\System32\bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-US

replacing C with the drive letter of the your actual Windows installation, hit Enter. Now exit the command prompt, and reboot your system. Hopefully it'll boot to Windows. If it does, reattach the HDD if so desired.

Recently i bought an SSD and replaced an old HDD which needed replacement. Today I decided to remove the old HDD, but when I fired my pc up it gave me the message: "reboot and select proper boot device". I already installed windows on the new SSD and when I reconnect the HDD it doesn't give the message and works normally.

Specs:

SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2010)

CPU: Intel Core i3-8350K

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti

RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 C15 2x4GB

MBD: MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7B45)

Edit: I tried formatting the old drive, but still nothing.

20 hours ago, Yellow_ said:

Tried playing with boot orders at all?

Yes, i tried to put my SSD in front of everything, but still nothing

Disable or Enable Legacy Boot in Bios.

A computer may also be affected by the “Reboot and select proper boot device” error if its primary hard drive partition is no longer configured as the active one. You can use Diskpart to fix this with a bootable USB.

Remove CMOS battery. Power Off. Put in new CMOS battery. It might be holding information causing the issue / By removing this and reinstalling The Bios goes back to default. May fix the Issue.

Good Luck!

My guess is that during the installation the bootmanager was written to the HDD rather than the SSD. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can fix it by removing the HDD, booting from installation media such as a flash drive or DVD, choose the option to repair and then the command prompt.

At the command prompt type:

C:\Windows\System32\bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-US

replacing C with the drive letter of the your actual Windows installation, hit Enter. Now exit the command prompt, and reboot your system. Hopefully it'll boot to Windows. If it does, reattach the HDD if so desired.