Pc lag

Carz728

I have a i5 8400 with a vega 56 and 16gb of ram. I have always had problems running games on this computer and I have no idea why. Battlefield five runs with no drops below 100fps but it is still stuttering, screen tearing, and lagging even with freesync on. What can I do to fix this?

1 hour ago, Yellow_ said:

Can you list full specs?

Core i5 8400

Vega 56

16gb of 2100mhz corsair vengence

msi pc pro

cx500

two 500gb ssds

41 minutes ago, Carz728 said:

Core i5 8400

Vega 56

16gb of 2100mhz corsair vengence

msi pc pro

cx500

two 500gb ssds

I can't imagine your really slow ram helps, what do your cpu and gpu usage look like?

Not when we have no idea what your specs are.

A girl who loves to love.

8 minutes ago, Carz728 said:

Can anyone see anything wrong with this game play because in game I am experiencing extreme leg and stuttering?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1szCLxSlruVjySlFrFkDe2uDD6fzMY9TQ

Can't see any stuttering on a 30 FPS video, but anyway if you're experiencing stutters it's most likely because your CPU usage is above 90%, limit your FPS to lower the CPU usage and keep it under control.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

Not when we have no idea what your specs are.

I5 8400

Vega 56

16gb of 2100mhz ram

3 minutes ago, Carz728 said:

I5 8400

Vega 56

16gb of 2100mhz ram

That seems okay to me

3 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

That seems okay to me

Yeah I have owned this computer for close to a month and have always had problems running games on it. The frame rates are always fine but the screen tearing and stuttering are crazy

Just now, Carz728 said:

Yeah I have owned this computer for close to a month and have always had problems running games on it. The frame rates are always fine but the screen tearing and stuttering are crazy

I've also tried vsync and freesync both cause input lag.

Is your CPU and/or GPU usage really high? Are you playing with lots of background tasks?

A girl who loves to love.

Just now, Aimi said:

Is your CPU and/or GPU usage really high? Are you playing with lots of background tasks?

No background tasks both run in the 90s

4 minutes ago, Carz728 said:

What do you mean you've always had problems running games on it?

3 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

What do you mean you've always had problems running games on it?

Like screen tearing and stuttering

Just now, Carz728 said:

Like screen tearing and stuttering

Well screen tearing will happen if you're not running at the same FPS as your monitor's refresh rate, but I have no clue why you're stuttering on other games, maybe you're perceiving the screen tearing as stuttering, or you have high CPU usage on other games as well, but anyway, as I said when your CPU usage hits 100% you might encounter stuttering, to fix that you need to lower your CPU usage by lowering your FPS, they're directly related, if you increase your FPS you increase your CPU usage etc, so you can try increasing your graphics quality which would lower your FPS a bit and keep your CPU usage under control.

Also Freesync doesn't cause input lag to my knowledge, one of the main selling points of Freesync and Gsync is that it has no input lag, use Freesync if you don't want screen tearing.

On 4/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, Carz728 said:

I5 8400

Vega 56

16gb of 2100mhz ram

Battlefield games are heavy on CPU usage. What are you're quality settings? Honestly, with an i5 you should probably have them at medium across the board with VSync off. 

On 4/20/2019 at 7:27 PM, Carz728 said:

Can anyone see anything wrong with this game play because in game I am experiencing extreme leg and stuttering?

I sure can, you have all your settings on ultra. The video does not show any stuttering at all, but it does show a drop in fps, which is completely normal, especially in BFV. Make the following changes and call it a day. You will not lose visual fidelity and you will have a much more stable fps.

• Set Motion Blur to 0%
  • Turn ADS DOF Effects OFF
  • Turn Chromatic Aberration OFF
  • Turn Film Grain OFF
  • Turn Vignette OFF
  • Turn Lens Distortion OFF
  • Put Texture Quality at Medium (trust me on this, it will look almost identical)
  • Put Lighting Quality at Low
  • Put Texture Filtering at High
  • Put Effect Quality at High
  • Put Post Process Quality at Low
  • Put Mesh Quality at Medium (High if enemies in far away windows pop-in or don't show up)
  • Put Terrain Quality at Medium
  • Put Undergrowth Quality at High
  • Put Anti-Aliasing Post Processing at TAA Low
  • Turn Ambient Occlusion Off (trust me on this)

If you by chance see any difference visually, describe it to me. Oh and it looks like you have a 75 Hz monitor, am I correct on that? Because if you do, anything over 75 fps you will not see on that 75 Hz monitor. Meaning that you're pushing those frames for no reason. Meaning that it would be wise to lock your fps at 75(using MSI AB, NOT FreeSync or Vsync) until you get a monitor with higher Hz. This should also help tremendously with stuttering.

• 1 month later...

Battlefield 5 runs perfectly with the fps capped at 60. I currently have a 75 hz monitor. Whenever I take of the cap the game will not run smoothly there are frame drops and spikes and the stuttering is awful. Why is this?

Just now, Carz728 said:

Battlefield 5 runs perfectly with the fps capped at 60. I currently have a 75 hz monitor. Whenever I take of the cap the game will not run smoothly there are frame drops and spikes and the stuttering is awful. Why is this?

My specs are a vega 56 and an i5 8400

6 minutes ago, Carz728 said:

an i5 8400

Possible issue, and maybe RAM, I don't know your setup.  I've ran BF5 on 8600k overclocked to 5Ghz, and I was still getting horrible frame times above 100FPS. CPU was always above 90% load while GPU (RTX2080) was dipping below 80% usage. Then I upgraded to 8700k, and vuala, even at stock speed perfectly stable FPS with no stutters or frame drops.

I spend a lot of time on BF forums. Many people with i5s report issues with stuttering and frame time drops even during BF1 days. That engine is just very taxing because of AVX workload that it puts onto the CPU.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 hours ago, Carz728 said:

Have you tried capping your fps to 75? Should fix that right up. Any fps you push further than 75 you won't see on that 75 Hz monitor anyway.

Also, tweak your graphic settings to what you see here...

Basic

• Set Fullscreen mode to Fullscreen.
  • Set Fullscreen Resolution to your monitor’s native resolution and with the highest refresh rate that your monitor supports(75 Hz).
  • Set ADS Field of View to Off.
  • Set ADS DOF Effects to Off.
  • Set Chromatic Aberration to Off.
  • Set Film Grain to Off.
  • Set Vignette to Off.
  • Set Lens Distortion to Off.

Advanced

• Set the Framerate Limiter to 75.
  • Set Future Frame Rendering to On.
  • Set Vertical Sync to Off.
  • Set Graphics Quality to Custom.
  • Set Texture Quality to Ultra.
  • Set Texture Filtering to Low.
  • Set Lighting Quality to High(set to Low for an fps boost, but anything to do with light will be downgraded visually).
  • Set Effects Quality to Medium.
  • Set Post Process Quality to Ultra(set to Low for an fps boost, but reflections will be downgraded visually, that is if you stop to look at reflections).
  • Set Mesh Quality to Ultra(set to High for a slight fps boost, but pop-ins may occur when viewing long distances).
  • Set Terrain Quality to High(set to Medium for a slight fps boost, don't ever set to low because then terrain will be flat because parallaxing is then off).
  • Set Undergrowth Quality to Low(highly recommended for multiplayer).
  • Set Antialiasing Post-Process to TAA High.
  • Set Ambient Occlusion to HBAO(if you personally don't like AO, turn this off for a tiny fps boost).

4 hours ago, Carz728 said:

My computer used to be able to keep battlefield 5 above 100fps at all times but know it run terribly with constant frame spikes and stuttering. Can anyone see the problem in this game play.

Looks like completely normal game play. Certain areas of the game are going to dip your fps. That's just how Battlefield V runs on your PC with the graphic settings set to where you have them set. What I'm trying to understand is your reason to push more than 75 fps on a 75 Hz monitor. Do you not understand that a 75 Hz monitor cannot portray any fps over 75? Sure those frames are being pushed but what you are seeing is 75 fps.

Until you get a monitor over 75 Hz, cap your fps at 75 Hz and call it a day. Your fps should be much more stable when you do so.