Find results in...
echy

i have both a internal hdd and ssd. help

Posted · Original PosterOP

i have both a internal hdd and ssd. help

i intital have a ssd  500gb but its going to run out of storage 

so i got a 500gb hdd

but basically the hdd just acted like a flashdrive

which is a problem because most of everything is in my ssd .... i do not want to copy stuff onto the hdd... i want to elevate the storage,, it that makes since

So in a sense you want to transparently extend your storage? Between hard drives you could do this with a spanned volume though Disk Management. I'm not sure if Windows will let you do that with a SSD & HDD but even if it did I would seriously advise against it. As soon as it switches over to the HDD read/write performance will suffer and if the HDD fails any data that may be split between the drives will be lost forever.

An ideal config is OS and any games or production software on your boot drive, then videos, music, pictures, etc on the slower HDD.

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So in a sense you want to transparently extend your storage? Between hard drives you could do this with a spanned volume though Disk Management. I'm not sure if Windows will let you do that with a SSD & HDD but even if it did I would seriously advise against it. As soon as it switches over to the HDD read/write performance will suffer and if the HDD fails any data that may be split between the drives will be lost forever.

An ideal config is OS and any games or production software on your boot drive, then videos, music, pictures, etc on the slower HDD.

i guess there is no point of having a ssd with a hdd, for me at least

i should have bought a 1 tb ssd instead

22 minutes ago, echy said:

i guess there is no point of having a ssd with a hdd, for me at least

i should have bought a 1 tb ssd instead

For most people SSD for boot and HDD for media is ideal but if you have productivity workloads that use large files and perhaps need to transfer them over a network at 10Gbit then just using a larger SSD would be your only real option.

On 4/20/2019 at 1:57 PM, Windows7ge said:

For most people SSD for boot and HDD for media is ideal but if you have productivity workloads that use large files and perhaps need to transfer them over a network at 10Gbit then just using a larger SSD would be your only real option.

its because most large files i use i put on my desk top... and uses the operating system which id on my ssd

if i have an hdd ...and drag those large files to the hdd it will just simply copy the files and not move them to that hdd

even if i where to move those files there without copying.. in my opinion i would rather just get a external harddrive for like 4tb .. just because i have a ton of files 

thanks for your input i really appreciate it!!