First ever custom loop - questions/concerns

I completed my first loop yesterday and I have a few questions regarding my GPU.  My card is a Sapphire reference Vega 64 that i bought second hand with a Bykski water block, GPU is a 5820k and water cooling gear is a D5 pump and two 360mm Black Ice radiators - one 30mm thick and one 60mm.

With everything left to default settings in Wattman i ran Heaven 4 benchmark and then let it keep running after that.  The temperatures eventually (10mins or so) seemed to "settle" on the following:

inM7O0q.png

Do the VRM temps look normal?  I had a lot of trouble fitting the water block because the Bykski instructions for a reference card are basically nonexistent so i struggled with where exactly the thermal pads were meant to go.

Also, the noise the graphics card makes is really not what i was expecting.  On the Heaven 4 credits screen i get the expected high pitched whine that all cards seem to make but its during the benchmarks that it makes a bothersome noise.

I can only describe it as a loud electrical buzz/hum, really not like any coil whine i've ever experienced.  With fans and pump on relatively low RPMs the graphics card is comfortably the loudest thing i can hear. It's certainly not the (relatively) silent gaming i was expecting coming from a lifetime of air cooling. :(

Is this normal i something to be concerned with? FWIW my PSU is a 5 year old EVGA G2 850W which i believe is a Superflower unit.

Thanks

Noise wise, that is relatively normal.

If it doesn't ever go away, there could be a problemo.

The temps look okay, but the problem is likely the thermal pads.

Ryzen 7 1700X - Cryorig C7 - Gigabyte Gaming B450 Wifi - 16GB GSKILL Aegis DDR4-3000mghz - WD Black NVMe 250GB M.2 / WD Black 2.5 1TB HD - Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB - FD Node 202

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window."

— Steve Wozniak

PCPartPicker - Steam - GitHub

OK, so i'm slightly worried.

I just ran Superposition and the average Mem VRM Temperature was 60c but with a high of 99c(!).

I bought the card second hand so i cant imagine the noise will change :(

6 minutes ago, Goobertron said:
OK, so i'm slightly worried.

I just ran Superposition and the average Mem VRM Temperature was 60c but with of 99c(!).

I bought the card second hand so i cant imagine the noise will change :(

With of 99c? What does that mean?

Anyway the noise is most likely fine, you just hear the coil whine clearer because everything else is so quiet, but as for the VRM temperatures, they are most certainly not a problem, but 60-70C is higher than what I expect from a watercooled card which I assume is not overclocked, it would become a problem once you overclock, take it apart and double check the thermal pads, the VRM's are black chips, they are not the cube thingy, the cubes are called Chokes

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

21 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

With of 99c? What does that mean?

Anyway the noise is most likely fine, you just hear the coil whine clearer because everything else is so quiet, but as for the VRM temperatures, they are most certainly not a problem, but 60-70C is higher than what I expect from a watercooled card which I assume is not overclocked, it would become a problem once you overclock, take it apart and double check the thermal pads, the VRM's are black chips, they are not the cube thingy, the cubes are called Chokes

The following image is from a thread on another forum i created when first trying to fit the water block and freaking out over where the thermal pads should go.

nSDQTWm.jpg

The conclusion i came to was that the things highlighted blue things dont need thermal pads but the things highlighted red do.

Is it actually the black things next to things highlighted red that need thermal pads?

If you look at the Bykski instructions here - http://www.bykski.com/page158?_l=en&product_id=3153&brd=1&product_category=185  - you might be able to see where i've been confused.  

The first image from the link above is this:

3tbO4bb.png

However, if you scroll down the picture they use does not (to me at least) look like a reference PCB.

me9fdqW.png

The printed instructions in the box are no better, just more pictures of PCBs that aren't reference.

37 minutes ago, Goobertron said:

The conclusion i came to was that the things highlighted blue things dont need thermal pads but the things highlighted red do

Yes exactly, i've seen a bykski waterblock from another user that used it on a Radeon VII, not sure if it's the same thing, but there are elevated areas on the waterblock and that's where the thermal pads should go for the VRM's

Also don't forget to put thermal pads on the Memory chips

if you've already done all that then i'm not sure what the problem is, maybe there's not good contact

3 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Yes exactly, i've seen a bykski waterblock from another user that used it on a Radeon VII, not sure if it's the same thing, but there are elevated areas on the waterblock and that's where the thermal pads should go for the VRM's

Also don't forget to put thermal pads on the Memory chips

if you've already done all that then i'm not sure what the problem is, maybe there's not good contact

The memory chips?  This being HBM do you mean the two smaller looking dies below the main GPU die?  If so i put thermal paste on them.

10 minutes ago, Goobertron said:

The memory chips?  This being HBM do you mean the two smaller looking dies below the main GPU die?  If so i put thermal paste on them.

Oh right sorry, the bykski image confused me because it has memory chips on the PCB, but Vega 64 has them on the die

I regret buying the Bykski, the instructions are shocking.

28 minutes ago, Goobertron said:

did you take the plastic off both sides of the pads? Common mistake to leave them on, I've nearly done it in the past. As for temps on that card, I can't comment, I know they're a hot card, but when you listed your rads you told us the make, not the models nor the overall size just thickness... hard to say. my ambient temps are a bit high atm so my temps in my pc have shot up, random summer sun here in the UK.

1 hour ago, Goobertron said:

I don't know how you came:

The conclusion i came to was that the things highlighted blue things don't need thermal pads but the things highlighted red do.

The "red" indications on your image are the VRMs, the "blue" indicators are the memory chips and do need thermal pads.

2 hours ago, Blai5e said:

The "red" indications on your image are the VRMs, the "blue" indicators are the memory chips and do need thermal pads.

Blue are Chokes