New Rig Not Posting (9900k, Asus ROG Strix z390-i gaming...)

Thomas_18

Hi,

I recently decided to upgrade to a new computer. I bought all the parts (listed below) and assembled them and connected my monitor, keyboard, and mouse. When I try to turn on the computer all the fans start spinning but nothing appears on the monitor. I've tried both the HDMI and Display Port connections and nothing works. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Mobo: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

GPU: MSI - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Air Boost OC Video Card

PSU: Corsair - SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

Currently there are no storage drives in the computer. Nothing has been installed on the computer (including windows 10). I'm just trying to get it to boot into the bios. The case also has yet to arrive so I assembled the computer on a table, without a case. Everything should still work though, right? To my knowledge, all those parts above are compatible. I did some trouble shooting trying to find out what the problem was by changing out the motherboard and the CPU to my older generation ones. When I turned on that rig, everything booted up fine and I was able to get into the bios. It seems like the GPU, RAM, and PSU all work fine. I don't have another compatible mobo to test to see if the CPU itself works. Any ideas on how to fix this? Could it be that the bios needs an update? I bought the parts about 2 weeks ago. 

Thanks,

Thomas

7 minutes ago, Thomas_18 said:

Hi,

I recently decided to upgrade to a new computer. I bought all the parts (listed below) and assembled them and connected my monitor, keyboard, and mouse. When I try to turn on the computer all the fans start spinning but nothing appears on the monitor. I've tried both the HDMI and Display Port connections and nothing works. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Mobo: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

GPU: MSI - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Air Boost OC Video Card

PSU: Corsair - SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

Currently there are no storage drives in the computer. Nothing has been installed on the computer (including windows 10). I'm just trying to get it to boot into the bios. The case also has yet to arrive so I assembled the computer on a table, without a case. Everything should still work though, right? To my knowledge, all those parts above are compatible. I did some trouble shooting trying to find out what the problem was by changing out the motherboard and the CPU to my older generation ones. When I turned on that rig, everything booted up fine and I was able to get into the bios. It seems like the GPU, RAM, and PSU all work fine. I don't have another compatible mobo to test to see if the CPU itself works. Any ideas on how to fix this? Could it be that the bios needs an update? I bought the parts about 2 weeks ago. 

Thanks,

Thomas

Your build is all good so theres no issue there.  When you turn it on does it stay on and just spin the fans but you get a blank screen no signal on monitor ?  It could be a short since its not in the case.  Check to see if PSU fan is spinning and your CPU cooler is spinning and video card fans are spinning.  If all are spinning and the computer just stays on but no signal then we need you to put it in the case, not saying that's the problem.  Try the video card on a different PCIe x16 slot and use DP and let us know what happens.  Does the motherboard give a code.  If its 00  then its a DOA CPU.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

If this is for gaming only, why didn't you go like i5 9600K or i7 8700K with a 2080 or maybe even a 2080 Ti if you cut the memory in half and had so much more gaming potential?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Your build is all good so theres no issue there.  When you turn it on does it stay on and just spin the fans but you get a blank screen no signal on monitor ?  It could be a short since its not in the case.  Check to see if PSU fan is spinning and your CPU cooler is spinning and video card fans are spinning.  If all are spinning and the computer just stays on but no signal then we need you to put it in the case, not saying that's the problem.  Try the video card on a different PCIe x16 slot and use DP and let us know what happens.  Does the motherboard give a code.  If its 00  then its a DOA CPU.

When I turn it on, the GPU and CPU cooler fans spin. The PSU's fan does not spin. Only when I turn it on for a brief second and when I flick the power switch on the PSU off the fan also spins for a split second. Basically those fans spin and the computer stays on but nothing appears on the screen. It just says no signal. The Mobo only has 1 PCIe slot for the GPU so I can't really try it in a different spot. The Mobo also doesn't give a code because it doesn't have a screen since it's Mini ITX. Also, there's no on button so I have to use a screwdriver to start it every time. 

1 minute ago, Thomas_18 said:

When I turn it on, the GPU and CPU cooler fans spin. The PSU's fan does not spin. Only when I turn it on for a brief second and when I flick the power switch on the PSU off the fan also spins for a split second. Basically those fans spin and the computer stays on but nothing appears on the screen. It just says no signal. The Mobo only has 1 PCIe slot for the GPU so I can't really try it in a different spot. The Mobo also doesn't give a code because it doesn't have a screen since it's Mini ITX. Also, there's no on button so I have to use a screwdriver to start it every time. 

Also, earlier today I went and exchanged the motherboard AND the cpu for new ones. I reconnected everything with the new parts and it still would not boot. I think I'm definitely doing something wrong because I doubt I got faulty parts twice in a row. 

46 minutes ago, Thomas_18 said:

Also, earlier today I went and exchanged the motherboard AND the cpu for new ones. I reconnected everything with the new parts and it still would not boot. I think I'm definitely doing something wrong because I doubt I got faulty parts twice in a row. 

In that case its not a DOA CPU nor the motherboard.  What comes to mind right now is to try a single stick of RAM.  Also make sure the 24 pin mobo connection is fit tightly and the 8pin also.  Then get back to us.  Another thing we can try is a different video card if you can borrow a friends or something.  Also make sure you connect power to the video card.  Let me know!

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

On 4/19/2019 at 11:09 PM, Turtle Rig said:

In that case its not a DOA CPU nor the motherboard.  What comes to mind right now is to try a single stick of RAM.  Also make sure the 24 pin mobo connection is fit tightly and the 8pin also.  Then get back to us.  Another thing we can try is a different video card if you can borrow a friends or something.  Also make sure you connect power to the video card.  Let me know!

Okay, I tested it with only 1 stick of ram in the left slot and it still doesn't boot. I tried with the Vega 64 and without. I also swapped in my old GTX 970 and tried to boot with 1 stick of ram. Still doesn't work. All the connectors are pushed in all the way and the GPU was connected to power, so I doubt it's something like that. Any other ideas? Thanks!

I SOLVED IT! I switched out the ram for a different set and it booted!! I was able to get into the bios and everything. I know that the ram itself works fine and is not defective because I tested it out with a different motherboard and CPU and it booted. Is there any reason why my ram would not be compatible with the rest of the rig? Is there maybe some setting I can change in the bios to make it compatible, now that it boots? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Thomas_18 said:

I SOLVED IT! I switched out the ram for a different set and it booted!! I was able to get into the bios and everything. I know that the ram itself works fine and is not defective because I tested it out with a different motherboard and CPU and it booted. Is there any reason why my ram would not be compatible with the rest of the rig? Is there maybe some setting I can change in the bios to make it compatible, now that it boots? Thanks!

Heck ya,, I knew it,,, It was the RAM after all.  Man that's great news!!!!