CPU upgrade

Hi, just joined the forum and I do have a question. I built my first gaming rig with money that was given to me, but due to unfamiliarity with the concept I kinda messed up my machine to a degree. I have a GTX 1080 but only an i3 8350k CPU and ive noticed it being a bit of a bottleneck in a variety of games. So I was wondering would it be best to upgrade it to a i5 9400F, or just wait and go all the way for the i7 8700?

1 minute ago, Taylor-96OWH said:

Hi, just joined the forum and I do have a question. I built my first gaming rig with money that was given to me, but due to unfamiliarity with the concept I kinda mess up my machine to a degree. I have a GTX 1080 but only an i3 8350k CPU and ive noticed it being a bit of a bottleneck in a variety of games. So I was wondering would it be best to upgrade it to a i5 9400F, or just wait and go all the way for the i7 8700?

Are you strictly gaming?

I mean more or less, but i do stream every now and then. Plus going back to school may have me using it a lot more for other applications.

Although is the extra $60-70 worth going for the 8700k, or should the basic 8700 last me about as long.

3 minutes ago, Taylor-96OWH said:

Although is the extra $60-70 worth going for the 8700k, or should the basic 8700 last me about as long.

It depends on what you're doing along with the resolution you're at and settings you're playing in game.

Also, what motherboard do you have?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I would say so because the higher clock you get the better gaming performance but this is also not just 60 more it would need a good cooler as well. 

@Taylor-96OWH

Jayz two cents did a video on this yesterday, I would take a look at it. Sorry i don't have access to youtube at work or i would link the video for you. 

Well i already have a cyrorig h7 on my 8350K, so im pretty sure i could reuse it. Although ive been thinking of getting a bequiet dark rock 4 to replace it. Just overall there's a number of things with this computer that were poorly thought out that could use changing. CPU is the top priority, moving windows 10 into SSD, a nicer case as the one i have was a $50 fractal design g something or other, and a better powersupply.

Yeah i saw Jay's video and ive been monitoring cpu usage on a number of games and there are just a number of them that hit 100% usage on all cores just running a game at 60FPS causing a fair bit of annoying stuttering and also stops me from streaming them.

personally i would get a Ryzen 7 2700x because of the multitasking performance and its general performance, plus the AM4 chipset will be supported until the ryzen 7 4700x