Need solution for proprietary CPU heatsink mount

LukeNeverShaves

I have a HP Z230 Workstation motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU heatsink and ram for a plex server. 

The issue I have is HP has the mounting for the CPU heatsink built into the case as seen in the image and that their mounting points are proprietary dimensions at 75x100mm .

I need a solution to be able to mount the heatsink without having to track down an overprices case for it.

Does anyone have any ideas of options or am I stuck trying to find someone on ebay that is willing to sell me just a case?

z230.jpg

Zip ties 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I've found plenty of people giving away free cases or cases for <20$ on local classifieds

Otherwise, I'd get one of the coolers with the clip mounting like on the intel stock coolers, bang those little guys down with a hammer and you'll probably be fine

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I checked the local area but there isn't anyone with a compatible case.

I don't think the clip option is available. He's what the cooler looks like 

Screenshot_2019-04-19-11-25-14.png

I'd be doubtful if you could even find a case that the motherboard could mount in.  Those assholes love making that shit as proprietary as hell.

It honestly might just be cheaper to buy another Z230 that comes with all the parts already and then upgrade as needed.

27 minutes ago, LukeNeverShaves said:

I have a HP Z230 Workstation motherboard, PSU, CPU, CPU heatsink and ram for a plex server. 

The issue I have is HP has the mounting for the CPU heatsink built into the case as seen in the image and that their mounting points are proprietary dimensions at 75x100mm .

I need a solution to be able to mount the heatsink without having to track down an overprices case for it.

Does anyone have any ideas of options or am I stuck trying to find someone on ebay that is willing to sell me just a case?

Lemme reword the question to see if I understand it properly:

You want to use the motherboard and CPU cooler in a different case, but want suggestions on how to mount the cpu cooler? 

if so, that's fairly easy. Take the CPU cooler with you to a hardware store. Find 4 nuts and PLASTIC OR NYLON washers (metal would conduct electricity) and mount the cooler to the motherboard before installing the motherboard in a case. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

49 minutes ago, Slottr said:

And why can't you use that cooler?

Unsure of what you mean. I can use the cooler. The issue is the need for something to secure the cooler to the board and the mounts in the original are built into the case.

32 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Lemme reword the question to see if I understand it properly:

You want to use the motherboard and CPU cooler in a different case, but want suggestions on how to mount the cpu cooler? 

if so, that's fairly easy. Take the CPU cooler with you to a hardware store. Find 4 nuts and PLASTIC OR NYLON washers (metal would conduct electricity) and mount the cooler to the motherboard before installing the motherboard in a case. 

Actually that's not a bad idea. I'd just have to make sure it all had clearance. 

27 minutes ago, LukeNeverShaves said:

Actually that's not a bad idea. I'd just have to make sure it all had clearance. 

I did this before with a Z600. There are PAGES of people who modded z800 motherboard into different cases. The one that started them all being Andy brown here: http://andybrown.me.uk/2014/11/01/z800/ 

He's documented a lot of his Z800 mods here. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 hour ago, Brink2Three said:

I did this before with a Z600. There are PAGES of people who modded z800 motherboard into different cases. The one that started them all being Andy brown here: http://andybrown.me.uk/2014/11/01/z800/ 

He's documented a lot of his Z800 mods here. 

You're awesome. I searched everywhere but couldn't find anything. I was hoping there were people out there who had done it before too. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, LukeNeverShaves said:

You're awesome. I searched everywhere but couldn't find anything. I was hoping there were people out there who had done it before too. Thanks.

Glad I could help! There are a lot of the similarities between the HP z800, z600 and z400 lines, so search for guides related to any of them if you're looking for info on modding them. 

If I remember, I'll dig through my bookmarks folders and find my z800 list. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

jus throw some plastic washer on the underside of the board, screw the cooler on it, mount into new case, have done that with a good dozen of old h61 ( socket 1155 lenovo boards) already. they also do have some very strange mounting hardware. make sure the mobo soldering contacts do not ground with the case. 

all normal screws can have contact with the case, only the soldering points should not.

3 hours ago, ubm3d said:

jus throw some plastic washer on the underside of the board, screw the cooler on it, mount into new case, have done that with a good dozen of old h61 ( socket 1155 lenovo boards) already. they also do have some very strange mounting hardware. make sure the mobo soldering contacts do not ground with the case. 

all normal screws can have contact with the case, only the soldering points should not.

Gotcha. Will probably hit up home depot tonight and see what I can get for it. Was not excited about having to try and acquire a case or starting over with a new board.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I came here for the same reason. I bought a Z230 board thinking I can make use of my i5-4590. Mobo fit in a standard case but CPU fan is oddly sized, and the mounting used to mount directly to the OEM HP case. After searching, I bought the OEM heatsink/fan on ebay as well for $8, and #6-32 hex nuts, 4 for $1 at home depot. Back of the mobo the mounting area is pretty clear so I didn't need nylon washers but put on some if you're worried about scratching your mobo. Installed hex nuts, alternate tightening diagonally. Then mounted mobo to my standard tower no issues.

• 10 months later...

@ZoultriasWould you mind PMing me what you did? Trying to figure out this build for my younger brother and got a hp z220 mobo (pretty similar cpu mounts iirc) for cheap and also trying to figure out the cpu cooler mounting situation. 

We had the same issue with an HP Prodesk 600 G1 motherboard which I believe it has the same hole pattern as the Z230 and the Elitedesk 800 G1.  We transferred the motherboard to a new case and we were able to use #6-32 nuts to mount the stock cooler in the new case.

The hole spacing for the HP Prodesk 600 G1 is 100mm x 72mm which is non standard as far as I know.  We then wanted to upgrade to an aftermarket cooler so we modified a design for a 3D print LGA 1150 CPU bracket to accommodate the hole spacing and #6 hardware size.  The modified cpu bracket can fit the stock case as well as be used in an aftermarket case to that we can mount a new cpu cooler.  I've 3D printed a few extra and listed them on ebay if interested.

I'm not sure about the Z220 hole spacing and hardware for the stock CPU cooler.