Vega 56 keeps crashing

JaN0h4ck
Go to solution Solved by JaN0h4ck,

Power Supply arrived today. The issue still persists. Even crashed while only pulling 75W.

I honestly don't have the time and nerves to deal with this issue anymore. I'll just return it and hope that Navi is finished product.

So I recently bought a refurbished RX Vega 56 Red Dragon.

Using it seemed to be no problem, as long as the game isn't too demanding. I had absolutely no problems while playing Minecraft (even with shaders), Gmod or Cities Skylines for extended Periods of time. But when playing Battlefield either the game or the graphics driver crashes, same in Destiny 2. In Rise of the Tomb Raider I get bluescreens with either 0x0000000A or 0x0000013 and in GTA V the game crashed. I've never had so many crashed with my old card (RX 480 8GB) and it appears, that I'm not the only one (though I couldn't find any solutions on Google).

I already tried:

Reinstalling the drivers

Reinstalling Windows

Reinstalling the games

Rolling back to 19.3.3. drivers.

But nothing worked so far.

Specs:

Intel Core i5-4590

24GB DDR3 (2x8 + 2x4)

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
Power Coler RX Vega 56 Red Dragon

530W Thermaltake Power supply (No, Power Draw isn't the issue ) <- Probably the Issue

512GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD

And some Hard Drives.

Sorry for my bad english.

5 minutes ago, JaN0h4ck said:

530W Thermaltake Power supply (No, Power Draw isn't the issue)

oh fun! we're going to see fireworks

9 minutes ago, JaN0h4ck said:

No, Power Draw isn't the issue

daisy chaining? just might be.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

daisy chaining? just might be.

Could you elaborate on that? I don't quite understand what you mean.

Just now, JaN0h4ck said:

Could you elaborate on that? I don't quite understand what you mean.

Are you using two separate PCIe power cables? Vega has issues with peak draw that are pretty hard on single cable configurations.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Are you using two separate PCIe power cables? Vega has issues with peak draw that are pretty hard on single cable configurations.

even then... smart is crap

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

It's connected with one power cable. The power supply only has one. Guess I'll have to try a new one.

EDIT: But I really don't think that Power Draw is the issue, because the drivers also crashed on me while typing this very thread.

4 minutes ago, JaN0h4ck said:

It's connected with one power cable. The power supply only has one. Guess I'll have to try a new one.

EDIT: But I really don't think that Power Draw is the issue, because the drivers also crashed on me while typing this very thread.

It's something to consider, not 100% certain it's the cause of the issues yet. It could do with some more testing, if you've got a friend with some hardware their own it's worth a test or two.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

It's something to consider, not 100% certain it's the cause of the issues yet. It could do with some more testing, if you've got a friend with some hardware their own it's worth a test or two.

it actually surprised me that ocp wouldn't kick in...

17 minutes ago, JaN0h4ck said:

EDIT: But I really don't think that Power Draw is the issue, because the drivers also crashed on me while typing this very thread

It could also be 2 separate issues, having to change driver versions can create its own problems, but the bluescreen crashes really make me think the PSU has got to go.

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

It could also be 2 separate issues, having to change driver versions can create its own problems, but the bluescreen crashes really make me think the PSU has got to go.

Well, I just ordered a new power supply, I'll keep you guys updated.

1 minute ago, JaN0h4ck said:

Well, I just ordered a new power supply, I'll keep you guys updated.

Which one?

Primary PC:

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Which one?

A 700W Thermaltake with two PCIe Connectors and RGB

2 minutes ago, JaN0h4ck said:

A 700W Thermaltake with two PCIe Connectors and RGB

That's really vague, it's important that you get a quality unit. Which specific PSU? Thermaltake makes good ones and they make bad ones.

Primary PC:

10 hours ago, fasauceome said:

That's really vague, it's important that you get a quality unit. Which specific PSU? Thermaltake makes good ones and they make bad ones.

It's the "Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W"

8 hours ago, JaN0h4ck said:

It's the "Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W"

Alright, that is a decent unit. Hope it does well for you. In the meantime, you can fiddle with the power settings to troubleshoot the driver stuff, first lower the power target for your graphics card by a lot, and reinstall the drivers. See what you can get away with.

Primary PC:

Power Supply arrived today. The issue still persists. Even crashed while only pulling 75W.

I honestly don't have the time and nerves to deal with this issue anymore. I'll just return it and hope that Navi is finished product.