Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duxck

Will i7 7700k bottleneck 2080 Ti?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, 

 

I'm about to buy a new graphics card. I have been looking at the big boi Nvidia 2080 Ti, doubt I really need it but I have the luxury of affording it atm. 

My question is, will I be able to utilize it with current hardware or should I go for something that is more suitable for what I currently have?

 

Last year I switched out everything except my graphics card.

 

Current setup:

Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2 GHz 8MB
MSI Z270A S02 INET GAMING EDITION
be quiet! Pure Rock
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB

XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Black Edition- PCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, GPU: 1338 MHz , Backplate, Hard Swap
Fractal Design Define C Svart
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 Vengeance
Corsair RM650x 650W

 

So, is it really bad idea to buy a 2080ti for this? Any other suggestions if it is?

(I am aware that the 2080ti isn't best value, just want to make sure it isn't wasted).

Thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

in cpu heavy games? yes

 

in balanced games at a higher resolution? not that much


PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

in cpu heavy games? yes

 

in balanced games at a higher resolution? not that much

The monitor I use right now is at 2560x1440 and 144hz. I also have two pretty shitty monitors which might make the experience less than ideal. Been planning on getting new new monitors now when i get a new graphics card. A 1080 ti probably serves me well enough. Sad part is that the 1080 ti isn't that much cheaper than the 2080 ti today.

 

Most requiring game I play is probably Ark, Dark and Light or Atlas. Otherwise i tend to play pretty well optimized games or really low games (such as Factorio or Banished). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, duxck said:

 

you could also get a 2080 or radeon vii for less

 

it'll probably bottleneck somewhere, but with a card like that the performance should be sufficient

 

tho i hope you have a freesync monitor?


PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, duxck said:

The monitor I use right now is at 2560x1440 and 144hz. I also have two pretty shitty monitors which might make the experience less than ideal. Been planning on getting new new monitors now when i get a new graphics card. A 1080 ti probably serves me well enough. Sad part is that the 1080 ti isn't that much cheaper than the 2080 ti today.

 

Most requiring game I play is probably Ark, Dark and Light or Atlas. Otherwise i tend to play pretty well optimized games or really low games (such as Factorio or Banished). 

Have a look at the gigabyte aurus AD27QD- I have it myself since a few weeks and fucking love it 


 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you could also get a 2080 or radeon vii for less

 

it'll probably bottleneck somewhere, but with a card like that the performance should be sufficient

 

tho i hope you have a freesync monitor?

This.  For 1440p 144, I'd go 2080 or Radeon VII.  If you were trying for 4K or 1440p UW 120+ maybe get the 2080Ti.

 

The price jump just doesn't justify the performance increase in 1440p 16:9 IMO.

 

Besides, a nice OC on the 7700K and you're rocking.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if you have the luxury for it, you can always save the money left for something else. So either get the 1080Ti, 2080 or some fake AMD card. (Ye, sorry, I lost trust in AMD's GPU department)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

This.  For 1440p 144, I'd go 2080 or Radeon VII.  If you were trying for 4K or 1440p UW 120+ maybe get the 2080Ti.

 

The price jump just doesn't justify the performance increase in 1440p 16:9 IMO.

 

Besides, a nice OC on the 7700K and you're rocking.

Does that also count if I run three 1440 144 monitors?  (I only game on the middle monitor). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, duxck said:

Does that also count if I run three 1440 144 monitors?  (I only game on the middle monitor). 

Yes, the other monitors shouldn't be taking much of a load from the GPU.  


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, duxck said:

Does that also count if I run three 1440 144 monitors?  (I only game on the middle monitor). 

the 7700k will likely bottleneck the 2080 ti anyway, i'd looking at a 2080, as it is faster than a radeon vii if both cards are oc'd and draws less power


9900k 1.39v 5.2 83C 185w 1.24v 4.9 60C 135w 1.05v 4.5 90w 50C (doing some testing for hot days) all-2avx cinebench/blender temps. avx voltages in prime. ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios fixed LLC voltage gaps ll gskill 2x8gb cl16 ddr4000 bdie 1.42v ll EVGA 2080 ti XC (duo fan skinny) 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (really bad ocer) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (rgb98)

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can find a good second hand 1080 Ti for less than either the Radeon 7 or 2080 I would consider it a very worthy pick.

 

The 2080 Ti might be under used on an i7 7700K don't get me wrong it's a perfectly fine CPU with pretty much on pair single threaded performance with even an i9 9900K however the lack of Cores are an issue these days specially if you want to multi-task while gaming


Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
 
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.


HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, duxck said:

Hello, 

 

I'm about to buy a new graphics card. I have been looking at the big boi Nvidia 2080 Ti, doubt I really need it but I have the luxury of affording it atm. 

My question is, will I be able to utilize it with current hardware or should I go for something that is more suitable for what I currently have?

 

Last year I switched out everything except my graphics card.

 

Current setup:

Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2 GHz 8MB
MSI Z270A S02 INET GAMING EDITION
be quiet! Pure Rock
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB

XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Black Edition- PCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, GPU: 1338 MHz , Backplate, Hard Swap
Fractal Design Define C Svart
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 Vengeance
Corsair RM650x 650W

 

So, is it really bad idea to buy a 2080ti for this? Any other suggestions if it is?

(I am aware that the 2080ti isn't best value, just want to make sure it isn't wasted).

Thanks in advance.

jaystwocents just made a video about this with an 8700k with only 4 cores enabled with a 2080ti it bottlenecked he tried a bunch of different scenarios  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×