Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kevin Wu

Thoughts/opinions on this build list?

Recommended Posts

Just gaming or also streaming/editing/rendering?


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Herman Mcpootis said:

Just gaming or also streaming/editing/rendering?

Mostly just gaming for now. May explore some streaming in the future

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kevin Wu said:

Mostly just gaming for now. May explore some streaming in the future

 

Try this instead, much cheaper and better:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($224.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($150.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.78 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB ROG Strix Gaming Advanced Video Card  ($779.00 @ B&H) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB530P ATX Mid Tower Case  ($112.39 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1706.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-19 00:05 EDT-0400


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Try this instead, much cheaper and better:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($224.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($150.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.78 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB ROG Strix Gaming Advanced Video Card  ($779.00 @ B&H) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB530P ATX Mid Tower Case  ($112.39 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1706.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-19 00:05 EDT-0400

What’s the difference between the X and non X variant?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is said that the 2700 can be overclocked to the speed of the 2700X. If you don't plan to overclock, stick with the 2700X.

 


80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kevin Wu said:

What’s the difference between the X and non X variant?

 

Better stock cooler and higher stock clock speed. You can just oc to make up the difference.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
53 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Try this instead, much cheaper and better:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($224.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($150.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.78 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB ROG Strix Gaming Advanced Video Card  ($779.00 @ B&H) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB530P ATX Mid Tower Case  ($112.39 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1706.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-19 00:05 EDT-0400

What’s the difference between the X and non X variant?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kevin Wu said:

What’s the difference between the X and non X variant?

 

 

11 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Better stock cooler and higher stock clock speed. You can just oc to make up the difference.

 


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kevin Wu said:

What’s the difference between the X and non X variant?

Tom's said it the best:

 

"When it comes to gaming, an overclocked Ryzen 7 2700 provided a statistically insignificant ~1 FPS advantage over the 2700X in 99th percentile frame rates. In essence, both tuned processors offer a very similar experience through our suite. It's unfortunate, then, that you need to buy an aftermarket cooler in order to overclock Ryzen 7 2700 to its potential. So much for the $30 savings versus Ryzen 7 2700X.

 

That means you get more value from AMD's flagship than the stepped-down Ryzen 7 2700. In fact, at stock settings, even a Core i5-8400 is roughly equivalent to the 2700. And it costs $110 less. And you can drop it into affordable motherboards. Intel's stock cooler is fine, too. You get the picture.

 

Similar trends surfaced in our desktop productivity tests. Ryzen 7 2700's frequency deficit resulted in notably less performance than a stock Ryzen 7 2700X across the board. Although Ryzen 7 2700 is faster than Intel's Core i5-8400 and -8600K in threaded workloads thanks to its eight-core design, AMD's own Ryzen 7 2700X is more compelling if you're interested in those types of applications."

 

I will add to that, though: Overclocking is not 100% a guaranteed thing. It's still a lottery, and it's a lottery you CAN lose. I would always take the chip that performs better at stock because it's at least a guaranteed thing. Plus Tom's also noted that their 2700 needed more voltage than their 2700x to hit 4.2GHz (1.4v). That technically means that the 2700x has the higher overclocking potential, giving it an advantage even when considering OCs. You could go as high as 4.3GHz from what I've seen. The other question: will you actually OC? If not the 2700x is better hands down!

 

That being said, since this build might be used for streaming later, I'd say you won't do much better than a 2700x.

Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($150.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($214.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.78 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($757.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($167.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1924.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-19 06:53 EDT-0400


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fasauceome said:

... Also, swapped out the PSU for a slightly better one.

...

 

What is the basis for the assertion that a Whisper M is "slightly better" than a G3?


80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, brob said:

 

What is the basis for the assertion that a Whisper M is "slightly better" than a G3?

The G3 is on the loud side, the aptly named Whisper has a better fan. Also, the Whisper is on a much higher tier than the G3 on our forum's own tier list (tier B vs tier A+), but I don't know the specific details that warrant such a gap in ranking.

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

The G3 is on the loud side, the aptly named Whisper has a better fan. Also, the Whisper is on a higher tier than the G3 on our forum's own tier list, but I don't know the specific details that warrant such a gap in ranking.

 

While the tier list is useful, positioning is somewhat subjective. It would be helpful if the author(s) provided the criteria that distinguishes level placement.

 

I believe the issue with G3 relates to some of its power protections. 


80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, brob said:

 

While the tier list is useful, positioning is somewhat subjective. It would be helpful if the author(s) provided the criteria that distinguishes level placement.

 

I believe the issue with G3 relates to some of its power protections. 

Actually I'll start workshopping something with the authors, I've thought of a way to color code the PSU names that might allow for some understanding of their benefits/flaws

 

If you have thought of any efficient ways to convey objective quality I'll be happy to consider them

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×