Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blucyrik

Computer won't POST, black screen, no signs of life.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey all,

I'll make this short and sweet; helping out a friend with his computer, here are the specs:

i5 4670k

ASRock Z87 Pro 3 motherboard

16GB RAM

GTX 780

EVGA NEX750G PSU

The system has run rock solid over the past FIVE YEARS. Nothing hardware-wise has really changed. Up until recently his system has been in a constant boot-loop and I've tried just about everything I can without replacing individual parts; I've removed the 780, removed RAM sticks, cleared CMOS, removed all drives, and checked for beep codes... nothing. Computer still goes in an endless boot-loop of sorts where everything would power on but will restart over and over every 20 seconds or so. No display on monitor. Tried both the output on the card and on the motherboard.

This is beginning to look like a power supply problem, I might try swapping my psu from my computer into his but I'm thinking it could also be indication of a dead CPU. Any thoughts?

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

Try PSU, then iGPU.

If no joy, i'd guess the motherboard is toast

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.365v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 // Sapphire Vega 64 // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 4.0ghz All-core @1.425v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB GeIL DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDr4 3200 // ASUS RX 570 4GB OC // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p - Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

The PSU would have to be very dead to not at least power on that system. Im leaning more towards a dead CPU, possibly motherboard. What you can do is just set your systems up side by side, and plug your power cables into his board in order to test real quick if it boots up with your PSU (no need to take things out, its just 2 cables per PC you switch), just to get that one ruled out real quick. A dead motherboard is a pain to troubleshoot. If you can do this, get your hands on another 1150 socket CPU (you can find some for $15-20 on ebay) you can test, and if it still doesn't work, its likely a dead motherboard. Unless you like gambling that would be the cheapest way to figure out whats working and whats dead.

Also at this point, until you get it working, never have the GPU installed. You need to at least get it working on the iGPU first. having a dedicated gpu installed just complicates things.

Razer Blade Stealth | i5-7200u | 8GB DDR3 1866

Ryzen 2600x | 16GB DDR4 3333mhz [15-15-15-36-50] | PowerColor Vega 56 8GB 

Phone Pixel 4XL || Android - 10.0 

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing" - John Powell

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

The PSU would have to be very dead to not at least power on that system. Im leaning more towards a dead CPU, possibly motherboard. What you can do is just set your systems up side by side, and plug your power cables into his board in order to test real quick if it boots up with your PSU (no need to take things out, its just 2 cables per PC you switch), just to get that one ruled out real quick. A dead motherboard is a pain to troubleshoot. If you can do that, any get your hands on another 1150 socket CPU (you can find some for $15-20 on ebay) you can test, and if it still doesn't work, its likely a dead motherboard.

Also at this point, until you get it working, never have the GPU installed. You need to at least get it working on the iGPU first. having a dedicated gpu installed just complicates things.

Thanks for the advice, will do this now. I'm doubting its the power supply at this point but I will try right now, just to rule that out. And yes I agree, one of the first things I did was take out the graphics card haha :) makes things less complicated. Will post here in a bit with an update.

29 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

The PSU would have to be very dead to not at least power on that system. Im leaning more towards a dead CPU, possibly motherboard. What you can do is just set your systems up side by side, and plug your power cables into his board in order to test real quick if it boots up with your PSU (no need to take things out, its just 2 cables per PC you switch), just to get that one ruled out real quick. A dead motherboard is a pain to troubleshoot. If you can do that, any get your hands on another 1150 socket CPU (you can find some for $15-20 on ebay) you can test, and if it still doesn't work, its likely a dead motherboard.

I've dealt with thousands of computers, and I have only had a CPU die ONE time. 

Between either the CPU or the mobo, it is very likely it is the mobo.

Power supply is ruled out, does the exact same thing like my friend's power supply. Gonna go with CPU on this one because when I unplugged all RAM sticks I still got a beep code.

Then again, this system is starting to age, even with a new sata SSD. Definitely starting to show some weakness to heavy apps like lots of tabs in Chrome and newer titles like Forza.

Any quick recommendations on a "good enough but not overkill" CPU to swap in with a new board?

3 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Motherboard just has so many more things in it that can fail

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.365v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 // Sapphire Vega 64 // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 4.0ghz All-core @1.425v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB GeIL DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDr4 3200 // ASUS RX 570 4GB OC // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p - Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

5 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I've also had a CPU die on me and it was because the thing ran too damn hot for too long haha. You're probably right though, a damaged motherboard probably plays a part in all this. There's been so much dust in this thing in the past I'm amazed something else hadn't broken sooner ?

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll bring him the bad news lol.

1 minute ago, Blucyrik said:

I've also had a CPU die on me and it was because the thing ran too damn hot for too long haha. You're probably right though, a damaged motherboard probably plays a part in all this. There's been so much dust in this thing in the past I'm amazed something else hadn't broken sooner ?

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll bring him the bad news lol.

The CPU you killed was likely back in the early 2000s in the single-core athlon and pentium III days when CPUs couldn't thermal throttle.

One time I ran an i7-5820K bare with NO cooler for 1/2 an hour while poking around a gigabyte motherboards bios. The CPU just downclocked itself to something like 200MHz and ran at 105C the whole time.