Computer won't POST, black screen, no signs of life.

Blucyrik

Hey all,

I'll make this short and sweet; helping out a friend with his computer, here are the specs:

i5 4670k

ASRock Z87 Pro 3 motherboard

16GB RAM

GTX 780

EVGA NEX750G PSU

The system has run rock solid over the past FIVE YEARS. Nothing hardware-wise has really changed. Up until recently his system has been in a constant boot-loop and I've tried just about everything I can without replacing individual parts; I've removed the 780, removed RAM sticks, cleared CMOS, removed all drives, and checked for beep codes... nothing. Computer still goes in an endless boot-loop of sorts where everything would power on but will restart over and over every 20 seconds or so. No display on monitor. Tried both the output on the card and on the motherboard.

This is beginning to look like a power supply problem, I might try swapping my psu from my computer into his but I'm thinking it could also be indication of a dead CPU. Any thoughts?

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

Try PSU, then iGPU.

If no joy, i'd guess the motherboard is toast

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

The PSU would have to be very dead to not at least power on that system. Im leaning more towards a dead CPU, possibly motherboard. What you can do is just set your systems up side by side, and plug your power cables into his board in order to test real quick if it boots up with your PSU (no need to take things out, its just 2 cables per PC you switch), just to get that one ruled out real quick. A dead motherboard is a pain to troubleshoot. If you can do this, get your hands on another 1150 socket CPU (you can find some for $15-20 on ebay) you can test, and if it still doesn't work, its likely a dead motherboard. Unless you like gambling that would be the cheapest way to figure out whats working and whats dead.

Also at this point, until you get it working, never have the GPU installed. You need to at least get it working on the iGPU first. having a dedicated gpu installed just complicates things.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

The PSU would have to be very dead to not at least power on that system. Im leaning more towards a dead CPU, possibly motherboard. What you can do is just set your systems up side by side, and plug your power cables into his board in order to test real quick if it boots up with your PSU (no need to take things out, its just 2 cables per PC you switch), just to get that one ruled out real quick. A dead motherboard is a pain to troubleshoot. If you can do that, any get your hands on another 1150 socket CPU (you can find some for $15-20 on ebay) you can test, and if it still doesn't work, its likely a dead motherboard.

Also at this point, until you get it working, never have the GPU installed. You need to at least get it working on the iGPU first. having a dedicated gpu installed just complicates things.

Thanks for the advice, will do this now. I'm doubting its the power supply at this point but I will try right now, just to rule that out. And yes I agree, one of the first things I did was take out the graphics card haha :) makes things less complicated. Will post here in a bit with an update.

Power supply is ruled out, does the exact same thing like my friend's power supply. Gonna go with CPU on this one because when I unplugged all RAM sticks I still got a beep code.

Then again, this system is starting to age, even with a new sata SSD. Definitely starting to show some weakness to heavy apps like lots of tabs in Chrome and newer titles like Forza.

Any quick recommendations on a "good enough but not overkill" CPU to swap in with a new board?

3 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I've dealt with thousands of computers, and I have only had a CPU die ONE time. 

Between either the CPU or the mobo, it is very likely it is the mobo.

Motherboard just has so many more things in it that can fail

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

5 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I've dealt with thousands of computers, and I have only had a CPU die ONE time. 

Between either the CPU or the mobo, it is very likely it is the mobo.

I've also had a CPU die on me and it was because the thing ran too damn hot for too long haha. You're probably right though, a damaged motherboard probably plays a part in all this. There's been so much dust in this thing in the past I'm amazed something else hadn't broken sooner ?

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll bring him the bad news lol.