2 gamers 1 cpu

Hi everyone!

( I know this is a re-posting, but I was told by some one in the CPU/ motherboard part of the forum to also post here for help)

I would like to build 2  virtualised computers off 1 CPU.

I have experience building normal computers. But I have no clue as to what I should be looking for when building a virtualised pc. My gut is telling me that I should be looking for some kind of virtualisation support on my motherboard.

I am looking at using second hand parts. I was thinking of going with either threadripper 1950 or ryzen 7 2700 based system.

I was thinking of paring that up with 2 AMD 590s (ASRock Phantom Gaming X RX 590 8G OC 8GB)

In terms of HDD(samsung EVO 860) and SSD. A normal 2.5 inc SSD 2 TB(About 1TB per person) and 8TB storage(4 TB per person).

G.Skill AEGIS 32 GB 3000MHZ ram (16GB each)

EVGA 750W PSU ( When I went online to check out how much power I need. It was roughly 545w so to be on the safe side 750w)

For the 2700 plan, I was going to go with the Asus Prime x470 pro gaming motherboard. 

For the Threadripper build I was looking at the Asus Rog Strix x399-E gaming

But my gut is  telling me that I need to be looking for something in the spec sheet. But I am not to sure as to what.

Are these good for virtualized computers. If not do you have any recommendations and any hints to you can give me(build and set up. 

P.s I will be moving into a very small place for my wife and I thats why the 2 gamers cpu. 2 computers will take up too much space.

Thanks

J

For virt, the key feature is AMD-V / AMD Virtualization technology. Both the threadrippers and ryzens have it so you are all good on that front. 

One thing you did not mention is GPU. Don't forget that you will need one gpu per gamer. put your build into pcpartpicker and make sure your power needs will be met. 

Don't forget to look at SFF builds. mini-itx and mini-atx can be great and compact. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, jake9000 said:

For virt, the key feature is AMD-V / AMD Virtualization technology. Both the threadrippers and ryzens have it so you are all good on that front. 

One thing you did not mention is GPU. Don't forget that you will need one gpu per gamer. put your build into pcpartpicker and make sure your power needs will be met. 

Don't forget to look at SFF builds. mini-itx and mini-atx can be great and compact. 

HI, thanks for the advice. I am looking at 2x ASRock Phantom Gaming X RX 590 8G OC 8GB

Edited by Stin6667
Miss read

ah my bad, must have missed it

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

Just now, jake9000 said:

ah my bad, must have missed it

No worries. Yes I have been thinking about the mini Itx rout. As I want everything to be compacted. I am looking to keep the machine for about 4years min.

Just a heads up. If using un-raid i can say from experience that with 32GB of ram, giving both VM’s 16GB won’t work. Un-raid needs ram to. I’d give the VM’s 12GB max. If the ram fills up and un-raid needs more the whole thing crashes.

I have no signature

1 minute ago, Helly said:

Just a heads up. If using un-raid i can say from experience that with 32GB of ram, giving both VM’s 16GB won’t work. Un-raid needs ram to. I’d give the VM’s 12GB max. If the ram fills up and un-raid needs more the whole thing crashes.

Just to see if I am understanding you.

32gb of ram:
12GB each VM = 24Gb

unraid = 8gb

Thanks, I actually didn't think of that.

4 minutes ago, Helly said:

Just a question,
What if I use 32 gb(16x2) for the ram, and give 8gb(4gbx2) to unraid? could that work?

Why unraid? Id just run anouther linux distro that gives you more control and is free.

Really though, id just buy 2 pcs, normally about the same price, and much easier to setup and work with, esp if you haven't done this before.

15 hours ago, Stin6667 said:

Just a question,
What if I use 32 gb(16x2) for the ram, and give 8gb(4gbx2) to unraid? could that work?

you can also enable swap and give both vms 16gb

You probably also want a 3rd gpu to admin with, makes trouble shooting and setup much easier.