Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drumma801

5ghz Internet on a PCI-E x1 slot?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I don't know why this has never crossed my mind before, but I was just thinking about how to use a PCI-E slot to get USB 3.0 on my older PC. I started thinking about transfer rates and slot bandwidth, so the topic flipped in my head to my Wifi card, because I have it in a PCI-E x1 slot on my motherboard. It is running and older v2.0 PCI-E version, which means the max bandwidth is 500MB/s correct? So how on earth would I actually be able to get the "867MB/s" theoretical speeds on that? I guess I would have to get a new mobo that supported at least v3.0 to get those speeds, so technically I'm bottlenecked by my motherboard? If so that sucks, but such is life I suppose. If I am missing something here, please enlighten me. If I didn't learn anything out of this I would feel foolish to have posted this to the good people of LTT Forums.

Godspeed,

Ed

PCI-E Chart.png

9 minutes ago, drumma801 said:

You would be limited by the connection speed to the motherboard

but i don't think it's realistic to expect the absolute maximum from 5ghz anyways

I edit my posts a lot

15 minutes ago, drumma801 said:

So how on earth would I actually be able to get the "867MB/s" theoretical speeds on that?

Network speeds are measured in megabits per second. So it's not 867 megabytes per second, but 867 megabits per second, or about 100 megabytes per second (assuming 8-bit bytes and some overhead)

14 minutes ago, drumma801 said:

So how on earth would I actually be able to get the "867MB/s"

Speeds for networks are MegaBITS not bytes. So 867Mbps is like 108.375 MetgaBYTES per second. 8 bits per byte. To put that in to perspective 1000 Mbps would be 125 MegaBYTES per second. You also have to take in to account, on wireless you rarely get full speeds. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants.