Questions about 120FPS

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

1) At 5:45 he says that you can't use the audio when recording at 120 FPS. Is it because the camera doesn't record the audio, in which case I'd like to know why, or because the audio would then be distorted when the video is played at a lower speed?

This may be a limitation of his equipment. I can't see any technical reason why you can't record audio at 120 FPS other than a limitation of the equipment.

2) I don't understand at all the concept he's explaining at 7:05. Why do you have to shoot less at 120 when to record a long footage?

You can slow down the 120 FPS footage to 60 FPS or whatever. You're not dropping frames from the footage, you're showing the frames at the playback speed you selected. This is how you get smooth slow motion: capture more over time and all the frames back at the "normal" speed.

Hi,

Earlier this week I watched this video and I have a few questions.

1) At 5:45 he says that you can't use the audio when recording at 120 FPS. Is it because the camera doesn't record the audio, in which case I'd like to know why, or because the audio would then be distorted when the video is played at a lower speed?

2) I don't understand at all the concept he's explaining at 7:05. Why do you have to shoot less at 120 when to record a long footage?

Thanks

This may be a limitation of his equipment. I can't see any technical reason why you can't record audio at 120 FPS other than a limitation of the equipment.

You can slow down the 120 FPS footage to 60 FPS or whatever. You're not dropping frames from the footage, you're showing the frames at the playback speed you selected. This is how you get smooth slow motion: capture more over time and all the frames back at the "normal" speed.

Some cameras simply don't record audio at high framerates because it would be stretched when played back at normal speed.

There are other cameras that do record audio and stretch it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020