Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BogdanS

Blackmagic Studio Camera

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello fellow tipsters,

Probably this post isn't in the right sub thread, so excuse me on that and if the mods can move it where it belongs as i couldn't find the right spot

I got a tricky question for ya all

I want to buy a Studio Camera from black magic designs; I have looked over all of their products but couldn't manage to find the right one for my business.

I wont film 4k right now, but in the future will. So 1920x1080 is a must. at 60fps. I film/tape one person explaining some things, nothing moving in the background, maybe if the explainer writes something on the white board.

My budget is around 2800 - 3300 USD (2500 - 3000 euro) 

Also i need lenses for it, and what extra accessories do you think i would need besides lights and the tripod?

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take a serious look at the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K if you don't have to have SDI. That thing is insanely impressive and does some things better than the Ursa mini. Just get the Metabones Speedbooster to adapt MFT mount to Canon EF mount and you are set.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

I would take a serious look at the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K if you don't have to have SDI. That thing is insanely impressive and does some things better than the Ursa mini. Just get the Metabones Speedbooster to adapt MFT mount to Canon EF mount and you are set.

Agreed, the pocket cinema gose for aptox $1300 and the speed booster / converter is about $650, so you have enough left to get a good lense. bare in mind though that if you do get a speed booster adapter rather than a normal one, you need to get full frame lenses. Id recommend one good L series lense. you can grab a cheaper converter with no speed booster and get a crop sensor lense, but if that's the budget you have and your set on black magic than thats a good bet. 


Don't Judge my spelling I'm dyslexic 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BogdanS said:

Hello fellow tipsters,

Probably this post isn't in the right sub thread, so excuse me on that and if the mods can move it where it belongs as i couldn't find the right spot

I got a tricky question for ya all

I want to buy a Studio Camera from black magic designs; I have looked over all of their products but couldn't manage to find the right one for my business.

I wont film 4k right now, but in the future will. So 1920x1080 is a must. at 60fps. I film/tape one person explaining some things, nothing moving in the background, maybe if the explainer writes something on the white board.

My budget is around 2800 - 3300 USD (2500 - 3000 euro) 

Also i need lenses for it, and what extra accessories do you think i would need besides lights and the tripod?

Cheers

Which studio camera exactly?  Better describe your business use for a camera:

are you using the camera only in 1 location like a studio all the time or do you need a camera you can easy carry around because you may go to different locations to shoot?

My experience iwth blackmagic cameras is that they do not always include all the accessories you need for the camera in the box unlike Sony or Panasonic that typically includes at least 1 basic battery, battery charger, ac power cable, various minor parts to mount accessories like mics, handle grips..  with BM cameras you can end up having to buy accessories and parts as extras.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

Which studio camera exactly?  Better describe your business use for a camera:

are you using the camera only in 1 location like a studio all the time or do you need a camera you can easy carry around because you may go to different locations to shoot?

My experience iwth blackmagic cameras is that they do not always include all the accessories you need for the camera in the box unlike Sony or Panasonic that typically includes at least 1 basic battery, battery charger, ac power cable, various minor parts to mount accessories like mics, handle grips..  with BM cameras you can end up having to buy accessories and parts as extras.

1 location, i wont carry it around; Just to record 1 person speaking at all times. So a bulky one is alright. In the business plan i wrote 4k studio camera, so if you can find me something better for those money from sony or panasonic it would be great :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BogdanS said:

1 location, i wont carry it around; Just to record 1 person speaking at all times. So a bulky one is alright. In the business plan i wrote 4k studio camera, so if you can find me something better for those money from sony or panasonic it would be great :D

BM cameras are good cameras, but for your work you can even use a professional camcorder like a panasonix AG UX90 or Sony pxw X70 or other models.  these cameras will already include many accessories you might need to buy separate if you choose a blackmagic camera.

if you can find a used blackmagic ursa mini 4k kit on sale for under $3000, that can also be option.

 

brand new for your work, the Blackmagic Studio camera could be a choice.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicstudiocamera

 

Reasons why a camera like the Studio Camera or maybe professional camera with similar inputs and outputs would be suitable for you

1. dual XLR inputs for audio that would let you plug in high quality microphones of various types: shotgun, wireless lavalier, cabled mics of different types

2. SDI outputs if you want to monitor the shoot using a professional or semi-professional monitor.  and SDI to HDMI converters are not expensive if you want to use hdmi monitor.

 

With the studio camera it already comes with a large monitor that should help you frame and focus the shot easily, but don't rely too much on the display for judging color.  my experience with monitors from blackmagic is their color is always tinted.

you need to buy at least one lens for the camera, but professional camcorders have lenses integrated.

 

a professional camcorder is more flexible if you want to take the camera out to different locations to shoot.  i'm not certain about quality of audio preamps inside blackmagic cameras, some people have told me it's not fantastic, but sony and panasonic professional cameras come with very good audio preamps.

 

you certainly need to buy a good tripod and smooth fluid head for video.  this can use up between 300-1000 of your budget depending on type and brand.  you want a good system here.  look at a brand called varizoom for budget tripods, I field tested one of them and was surprised at the quality.

 

lights is where you can be a bit more flexible with price.  this year at NAB, some chinese brands that produce affordable lights showed off new models that work well enough for indie filmmakers who do not have the budget to buy or rent something like an arri system.  the number of lights and sizes of each light head or panel and power of each unit depends on your choice for lighting the film set.  but i suggest you buy a few extra units more than you need.  for lights you may also need to buy light stands or mounting systems and clamps for hanging lights from ceiling or to trusses in your filming "studio"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

BM cameras are good cameras, but for your work you can even use a professional camcorder like a panasonix AG UX90 or Sony pxw X70 or other models.  these cameras will already include many accessories you might need to buy separate if you choose a blackmagic camera.

if you can find a used blackmagic ursa mini 4k kit on sale for under $3000, that can also be option.

 

brand new for your work, the Blackmagic Studio camera could be a choice.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicstudiocamera

 

Reasons why a camera like the Studio Camera or maybe professional camera with similar inputs and outputs would be suitable for you

1. dual XLR inputs for audio that would let you plug in high quality microphones of various types: shotgun, wireless lavalier, cabled mics of different types

2. SDI outputs if you want to monitor the shoot using a professional or semi-professional monitor.  and SDI to HDMI converters are not expensive if you want to use hdmi monitor.

 

With the studio camera it already comes with a large monitor that should help you frame and focus the shot easily, but don't rely too much on the display for judging color.  my experience with monitors from blackmagic is their color is always tinted.

you need to buy at least one lens for the camera, but professional camcorders have lenses integrated.

 

a professional camcorder is more flexible if you want to take the camera out to different locations to shoot.  i'm not certain about quality of audio preamps inside blackmagic cameras, some people have told me it's not fantastic, but sony and panasonic professional cameras come with very good audio preamps.

 

you certainly need to buy a good tripod and smooth fluid head for video.  this can use up between 300-1000 of your budget depending on type and brand.  you want a good system here.  look at a brand called varizoom for budget tripods, I field tested one of them and was surprised at the quality.

 

lights is where you can be a bit more flexible with price.  this year at NAB, some chinese brands that produce affordable lights showed off new models that work well enough for indie filmmakers who do not have the budget to buy or rent something like an arri system.  the number of lights and sizes of each light head or panel and power of each unit depends on your choice for lighting the film set.  but i suggest you buy a few extra units more than you need.  for lights you may also need to buy light stands or mounting systems and clamps for hanging lights from ceiling or to trusses in your filming "studio"

Alright so,

I am going with the studio camera 4k (the 12G-SDI) and for the lenses i got Olympus 12mm F2 ED Mirrorless

And the microphones Audio-Technica AT875R - XLR  and Saramonic UWMIC9 (TX9+RX9) XLR and jack

And at tripods i just got something cheep ish, because if it dosent work, i will refund it and just use some boxes as a tripod for the camera as it wont move anywhere anytime soon 

And from the lights i got some softboxes with continuous lights 105W the light (4 soft boxes)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BogdanS said:

Alright so,

I am going with the studio camera 4k (the 12G-SDI) and for the lenses i got Olympus 12mm F2 ED Mirrorless

And the microphones Audio-Technica AT875R - XLR  and Saramonic UWMIC9 (TX9+RX9) XLR and jack

And at tripods i just got something cheep ish, because if it dosent work, i will refund it and just use some boxes as a tripod for the camera as it wont move anywhere anytime soon 

And from the lights i got some softboxes with continuous lights 105W the light (4 soft boxes)

 

or another option for you:

1. dslr or mirrorless camera with lens that supports minimum 1080p60, like you need

2. Zoom F4 or Tascam DR 701D/70D/60Dmk II for audio recorder for connecting microphones via XLR input.  do not attach any microphone to the camera, use the internal mic of the dslr or mirrorless for recording rough audio that you will use to sync with cleaner better quality audio recorded by the zoom or tascam audio recorders.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BogdanS said:

 

I am going with the studio camera 4k (the 12G-SDI)

i forgot to mention, with the studio camera (the one that is listed as $1495 for FHD version and $1695 for 4K version on their website) it doesn't come with memory card slot for recording.  you need to also buy external recording device.  they designed this for studio use where the camera sends signal to control room with all the recorders and broadcast devices.  it is the same with the micro studio camera, no internal recording.

 

you need to buy something like an atomos or odyssey external monitor/recorder or blackmagic video assist monitor/recorder or hyperdeck recording devices or send the video signal to a computer that has a capture device like their decklink cards or ultrastudio systems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

 

or another option for you:

1. dslr or mirrorless camera with lens that supports minimum 1080p60, like you need

2. Zoom F4 or Tascam DR 701D/70D/60Dmk II for audio recorder for connecting microphones via XLR input.  do not attach any microphone to the camera, use the internal mic of the dslr or mirrorless for recording rough audio that you will use to sync with cleaner better quality audio recorded by the zoom or tascam audio recorders.

 

2 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

i forgot to mention, with the studio camera (the one that is listed as $1495 for FHD version and $1695 for 4K version on their website) it doesn't come with memory card slot for recording.  you need to also buy external recording device.  they designed this for studio use where the camera sends signal to control room with all the recorders and broadcast devices.  it is the same with the micro studio camera, no internal recording.

 

you need to buy something like an atomos or odyssey external monitor/recorder or blackmagic video assist monitor/recorder or hyperdeck recording devices or send the video signal to a computer that has a capture device like their decklink cards or ultrastudio systems.

1. How can i search for the lenses support minimum?

2. For audio recorder i am getting this ? Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 USB

Sorry if i dont make any sense, but i dont have any ideea on what is better for my company as i live in a small city and everybody who i asked, wanted to rip me off at prices (300% more )

3. I am getting a web presenter (Blackmagic Web Presenter)

4. And ofc 2 servers 

Do you have discord or something like that so we can chat there ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BogdanS said:

 

1. How can i search for the lenses support minimum?

2. For audio recorder i am getting this ? Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 USB

Sorry if i dont make any sense, but i dont have any ideea on what is better for my company as i live in a small city and everybody who i asked, wanted to rip me off at prices (300% more )

3. I am getting a web presenter (Blackmagic Web Presenter)

4. And ofc 2 servers 

Do you have discord or something like that so we can chat there ?

1. For lens support, contact BM to see what lenses they recommend.

2. you dont need the presonus if you are getting the studio camera, send the audio directly to the camera

3. webpresenter will encode the video input to 720p to be live streaming ready if you want to use it as a capture device via usb, and i guess you want to live stream video?  But the SDI loopout I think doesnt convert any signal you input. so if you input UHD or 4K video it will loop out the same resolution.  you can only record the original resolution out of the sdi and hdmi loop out. and maybe sdi pgm out, but not from the USB connected to the computer.

 

no i don't have discord.

install a decklink mini 4K recorder on one of the servers and record original resolution shot to SSD HDD in the server.

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you do need an external audio controller to mix because you are using more than 2 mics, there are cheaper options that work better than presonus.  how many microphones maximum do you think you will use?  if you are only filming 1 person in front of the camera, maximum you need 2 mics. 1 mic for primary and 1 mic for backup.  the studio camera has 2 xlr inputs, and if you want to use external audio mixer, buy something like a 4 or 8 channel mixer.   you dont need a 16 channel mixer

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get the Black Magic studio cam route get an ATEM tv switcher so that you can color corect and remotly control the exposure of the camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×