Make ANY PC Into a Hackintosh!

nicklmg
38 minutes ago, mefffer said:

This looked like it could be super interesting, and should have been.  But honestly, I'm less interested in watching exactly how to set it up, which I will sort out when the time comes, and more interested in answers to the obvious questions:

• How does this virtualized hackintosh perform relative to a hackintosh on the raw hardware or relative to a vmware hackntosh
  • Does this work on more machines than normal hackintosh does?
  • If not, is it easier to set up or maintain?

After watching, I don't know about actual performance or maintainability.

Also, at first, it seemed like the video was promising that a virtualized hackintosh set up like this wouldn't break with updates like normal hackintoshes do. But then I realized even this demo isn't set up with the latest version of OS X, because upgrading to mojave breaks the NVIDIA drivers.  

So, to sum up:  it may be that this solution works on a more limited range of hardware, but unclear; it is also unclear whether it performs as well as the more common hackintosh options, but it may be pretty close;  some upgrades still break this version of hackintosh, but not very clear which ones or when.  

With hardware acceleration and the proper configuration, it performs about as well as bare metal (given the amount of resources provided). There's only a few rare machines it could support better than macOS on bare metal, mainly those with exotic hardware or chipsets.

Otherwise, it would be the same as maintaining a fairly compatible Intel Hackintosh: You wouldn't have to mess with system-specific patches, but it would still involve some work to get it operating, and any related PCIe hardware (GPU, Wireless, etc) would still need to support macOS. Major OS upgrades would break Clover, so you'd need to keep that updated, and you'd still need to consider any issues arising in QEMU (like the SMC breaking in Sierra).

Doesn't work for me either.  After virsh define hackintosh.xml, nothing shows in VMM.  I see a few people have this issue.  Can someone with more experience assist us plz? 

Typing virsh list --all shows the the VM has imported but forcing it to connect results in error: failed to connect to the hypervisor and error: no connection driver available for URI 'hackintosh' does not include a driver name.

I tried running Native and despite numerous attempts, I cannot get the system to boot.  This is the only PC I have tried to hacintosh that I simply cannot come right with.  I did get Mojave to work but my album designer is incompatible with it so I need an older macOS.  ballz :(

On 4/18/2019 at 5:47 PM, KingDaddyDaniel said:

Would this let me use iMessage on android? Austin just made a video a few weeks ago on how to do it, but it requires a mac. What are the specifics of the part when Anthony said getting Facetime and iMessage working are hit or miss?

I'm not really sure what he was talking about as iMessage and FaceTime worked out of the box for me.

Desktop:

Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.7GHz, 8GB x 2 GSkill Ripjaws, Gigabyte Gaming B8 Motherboard, 256GB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe SSD, 1.27 TB of Spanned Goodness, GTX 1050 Ti, and GT 710. Runs both macOS High Sierra and Windows 10, and Pop! OS 20.04 LTS.

Laptop:

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

Server:

7TB Array in Proxmox server

Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.5GHz

16GB DDR4 

ASUS H270M Motherboard

1GB Zotac NVIDIA GT 710

3 hours ago, ZenecadE said:

Doesn't work for me either.  After virsh define hackintosh.xml, nothing shows in VMM.  I see a few people have this issue.  Can someone with more experience assist us plz? 

Typing virsh list --all shows the the VM has imported but forcing it to connect results in error: failed to connect to the hypervisor and error: no connection driver available for URI 'hackintosh' does not include a driver name.

I tried running Native and despite numerous attempts, I cannot get the system to boot.  This is the only PC I have tried to hacintosh that I simply cannot come right with.  I did get Mojave to work but my album designer is incompatible with it so I need an older macOS.  ballz :(

Did u import as root?

Desktop:

Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.7GHz, 8GB x 2 GSkill Ripjaws, Gigabyte Gaming B8 Motherboard, 256GB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe SSD, 1.27 TB of Spanned Goodness, GTX 1050 Ti, and GT 710. Runs both macOS High Sierra and Windows 10, and Pop! OS 20.04 LTS.

Laptop:

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

Server:

16GB DDR4 

ASUS H270M Motherboard

1GB Zotac NVIDIA GT 710

On 4/18/2019 at 5:47 PM, KingDaddyDaniel said:

Would this let me use iMessage on android? Austin just made a video a few weeks ago on how to do it, but it requires a mac. What are the specifics of the part when Anthony said getting Facetime and iMessage working are hit or miss?

I'm not really sure what he was talking about as iMessage and FaceTime worked out of the box for me.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

Server:

16GB DDR4 

ASUS H270M Motherboard

1GB Zotac NVIDIA GT 710

I didn't take time to sift through all of this but does the lines put in the grub config matter between amd and intel?

I'm using an AMD graphic card and an Intel CPU, the VM booted but I got "Graphical console not configured for guest". Can anyone help?

After Typing "virsh define osx_i440fx.xml" my VM wont show up in Virtual Machine manger?? Help

Hey, I do have a Asus Laptop from past. Model is K53SV

I am planning to try this setup on my old friend. But i do have some questions.

As you know i have 2 graphichs card in it (1-Intel HD 3000 2-610m). Can i use one of them to "gpu-pass"?

As i know my 2450m dont have vt-d but it has vt-x.

And will it be usable on qemu? I have concerns about performance.

Edit: I tried to use only macos on this pc. but the webcam was 40x40(or something). And couldn't use airdrop...

And i had random freezes. I want to try it again.

Edited by Arlexxa
adding info

On 4/22/2019 at 5:26 AM, ZenecadE said:

I had the same issue. The command needs to be ran as super user. So make it "sudo virsh define hackintosh.xml"

My problem is now trying to get the iso to boot. For some reason I cannot boot the iso. Everything is set in the bios and in the VM settings. It just boots to nothing. When I try to manually boot from the CD ROM I made, the screen just blinks and comes back to the bios screen. I tried remaking the iso, but nothing changed. 

Hi i have been getting this error message when i try to run the VM

Error starting domain: operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /home/hackintosh-host/Documents/Hackintosh-KVM/OVMF_CODE.fd

Is there any way that i can resolve this issue or does anyone know how to solve this issue. Any help would be be appreciated

[NEED HELP]

anybody has same problem with me?

image.png.bc1282a32a3f73e65d34970ced2add03.png

19 hours ago, kevz246 said:

Hi i have been getting this error message when i try to run the VM

Error starting domain: operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /home/hackintosh-host/Documents/Hackintosh-KVM/OVMF_CODE.fd

Is there any way that i can resolve this issue or does anyone know how to solve this issue. Any help would be be appreciated

You need to replace "hackintosh-host" with your installation pc name you chose

Weird question, but anyone want to see a compensator build in the old Mac pro tower case, run mac on it and use that to humiliate the current and up coming Mac pro? 

On 4/22/2019 at 10:26 PM, ZenecadE said:

worked for me using sudo virsh define......

On 4/25/2019 at 9:46 PM, silhouette17 said:

I'm using an AMD graphic card and an Intel CPU, the VM booted but I got "Graphical console not configured for guest". Can anyone help?

Thats video passthough in the initial config of the Vm. have a look at the VM config they have in the video vs yours as almost seems that some basic steps are missed, my Manjaro didnt come with Virtual machine manager as an example...

On 4/25/2019 at 5:46 AM, silhouette17 said:

Gotta add a virtual Graphics

Desktop:

Laptop:

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

Server:

16GB DDR4 

ASUS H270M Motherboard

1GB Zotac NVIDIA GT 710

On 4/26/2019 at 11:01 AM, arkha98 said:

[NEED HELP]

anybody has same problem with me?

image.png.bc1282a32a3f73e65d34970ced2add03.png

You probably don't have the latest QEMU and need to edit the hackintosh.xml. Replace pc-i440fx-3.1 with pc-i440fx-2.9. Then make a backup of the QEMU-VARS.fd, delete the virtual device, restore the backup, and import the XML file again.

On 4/25/2019 at 11:46 AM, silhouette17 said:

Yes. Add two devices: Graphics and Video. Set Video to Virtio, disable 3D acceleration. Set Display to Spice, set listen type to None.

One more thing they don't tell you: before you start the installation, you need to create a third storage medium where the actual OS will be installed. Make a SATA device with at least 60 GB.

I've pretty much managed to get everything sorted, but fell on my face at the last hurdle.

PCI passthrough of the graphics card. Running an Arorus Gaming 2 which has all the PCI lanes grouped, meaning I can't separate the cards.

Oh well pretty happy I made it this far. Would be pretty happy LTT listed the actual components they used in the build as I think this would be my preference from building hacks on Intel in the future. 

Hey, as someone who is currently pulling their hair out performing the hackintosh process, I have to ask: Is this doable without a dGPU? Or would I be stuck with terrible performance? Because I'm on a laptop so all I got is igfx, but my hardware is supported for hackintoshing.

You should be OK performance-wise if MacOS supports your igfx natively. You'd have to get creative with your setup though because once you enable GPU passthrough you won't see your host system any more. I'd try to run an SSH server or something, and control it remotely.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:14 AM, nicklmg said:

How-to on Passthrough Post: https://geni.us/u0rk

Buy AMD CPUs on Amazon: https://geni.us/HcaLFd7

Buy Nvidia video cards on Amazon: https://geni.us/wjj7Vzx

Hey everyone. I would like to run MacOS on my unused laptop which has a Core i7-8550U processor 16 Gb of ram and INTEGRATED GRAPHICS(UHD Graphics 620) and i dont want to remove windows . my first question is will it work on such low(kinda) specs and is removing windows necessary . Also I dont have any friend who has a mac so if anyone could tell how to get it without a macbook.

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE ANSWERS

Please can we get a comparison (video editing, gaming etc) between a hackingtosh and a MAC which have the same specs. Is performance in video editing and in gaming the same?