Make ANY PC Into a Hackintosh!

nicklmg

SSE4.1 requirement is quite low... that's first generation i7. 2008-2009.

On 4/18/2019 at 3:44 PM, TetraSky said:

Couldn't you have used the VM images from Techviewers to do this with VMware or VirtualBox in windows, without the need of an actual Mac?

They have tutorial to get Mojave for VMware and VirtualBox. (also High Sierra if you prefer the older OS)

Is it just because of the GPU passthrough thing? I thought we could do this with VMware now...

Thank you for this, much easier to work with the TV VMs than anything else

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 hours ago, GabenJr said:

It looks like you might not have the OVMF_VARS.fd file, or else the file path is wrong in your hackintosh XML - Double-check that.

Nope, I have that file. Got it from the instructions, and edited it as shown.

Posted just now · Original Poster

when I type these command lines

cd Hackintosh-KVM/
virsh define hackintosh .xml

It shows that "Domain Hackintosh defined from hackintosh.xml"

but when I check Virtual Machine Manager it shows nothing

What could be the reason for this? And how do I fix it?

9 hours ago, Foxlet said:

It's more likely your disk isn't rooting properly, macOS either didn't find the disk or the relevant drivers couldn't probe the device for some reason.

Yea, unfortunately no matter what I did to recreate that .iso (both manually following the commands, and via the script) I always came to that error. So what I did instead was create the hackintosh image in vmware, used qemu-img to convert the vmdk to qcow2, and booted that up. Seems to have done the trick.

So I wanted to share my 0.02$ here 

For people that just want to run Mac OS i think it makes more sense building a real Hackintosh.

Because you say it runs on anny hardware, that is not totally true. Because you Pass through the usb card and GPU you need a cpu that supports Vt-d 

For example my old I5 2500k would not support that but works fine when used directly as a hackintosh. 

And since you are directly passing the GPU there is 0 difference of it running in a vm vs bare metal.

But I am not saying there is no usecase for this. 

For example i am running 5 Mac OS vms on my Dell R710 using esxi so i can connect my crapload of Iphones to run UiTests. Because adding more than around 20 iphones to one "Mac" only causes problems 

r710.jpg

9 hours ago, yashobam said:

Posted just now · Original Poster

when I type these command lines

cd Hackintosh-KVM/
virsh define hackintosh .xml

It shows that "Domain Hackintosh defined from hackintosh.xml"

but when I check Virtual Machine Manager it shows nothing

What could be the reason for this? And how do I fix it?

I have the same problem. Can someone help?

I tried different paths and rechecked everything...

EDIT: I'm on intel. Maybe there is a problem ... idk

5 hours ago, bentheone said:

I have the same problem. Can someone help?

I tried different paths and rechecked everything...

EDIT: I'm on intel. Maybe there is a problem ... idk

i am running amd and btw try creating a new virtual machine with qemu/kvm user session

Hello!
When I follow all the instructions as provided, this is my error:

I've read that might be the line pc-i440fx-3.1 the problem, since it emulates a really old motherboard (???).

Trying to emulate on dell 7577 with i7HQ - Nvidia 1060 maxq.

ltt.png

So, I changed the pc-i440fx-3.1 in the hackintosh.xml to pc-i440fx-2.9 and it boot, I select then resolution to 1920x1080 and then I get this new error.

Could it be that the high sierra iso it's not bootable?

Screenshot from 2019-04-20 20-23-23.png

Hello gays! I install manjaro linux and can't running Hack-machine, ERROR: Network "default" -not active, and not be started. Without virt network card - virt-hack not run((((

I'm not really interested in doing this with macOS, however I am interested in knowing how this same idea would work with Windows 10 Pro as guest and if my current license would be transferable into the guest OS.

Also, during the video Linus said macOS was super slow/laggy since they did not have the drivers installed for the GPU. Would this also be the case for a Windows 10 guest NOT using pass through mode? 

My system is a B350 board (asrock) and a Ryzen 5 2600X. I have 16GB ram at 3200Mhz and a Samsung 960 Pro 256gb split between two OS's. GPU is a Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X. I am currently in dual boot between Windows 10 Pro and Manjaro KDE, but would like to try Manjaro XFCE (its lighter) with Windows 10 as guest OS. BUT, I would ONLY do this if the performance absolutely feels like its on bare metal. I use Windows 10 for gaming. Is it true that the performance feels at least 98% as good as bare metal installs? In other words if I was getting 100 fps in Windows natively on any game, would it only drop down to 98 fps in QEMU-KVM guest mode? I have seen a LOT of claims online that QEMU-KVM actually feels like bare metal installs on its guest OS's, but that is really hard to believe, lol.

Also, is it possible to use only one GPU? My current board has a broken second PCIe slot (it shattered in transit), so I might have to wait for X570 to get a new motherboard to try this. But I would like to at least familiarize myself using this method so long Windows 10 doesn't need GPU pass through to function. 3D gaming can come later with a secondary GPU and new mobo of course. And no, I am not willing to solder in a new PCIe slot lol.

Also, do you need secondary hardware for pass through? Would I need a second Network card for Windows, second GPU for windows, and a second USB card for Windows to function like on bare metal? I do have all these parts, but I don't have the pcie ports for them at the moment, again I would need a new mobo. I am planning on a X570 board and a Ryzen 9 16 core if it eventually exists.

One last question, what is a good source of information and how-to's for this QEMU-KVM method and hardware pass through stuff? I did searches but info seems limited. Thanks

skorp

On 4/20/2019 at 2:46 AM, Foxlet said:

The issue with IGD laptops is that the graphics subsystem is generally not a passable PCIe device due to a lack of an iommu, but if it can be passed, then you could technically unload X and set up the framebuffer and patches needed for Intel Graphics.

If I recall correctly qemu is able to boot into a VM with a headless host. Wouldn't technically doing this allow the VM to have full control of the integrated graphics?

I'll probably need to do some testing once I get my laptop. (Potentially I am even considering loading Linux + MacVM on an external drive so I can leave the internal NVMe as Windows).

8 hours ago, Naghen said:

So, I changed the pc-i440fx-3.1 in the hackintosh.xml to pc-i440fx-2.9 and it boot, I select then resolution to 1920x1080 and then I get this new error.

Could it be that the high sierra iso it's not bootable?

Screenshot from 2019-04-20 20-23-23.png

I think this proble is caused by the UEFi boot settings. You may check the boot manager to assert booting device is properly detected.

Noob questions:

1.  Will I be able to run this thing on 1 GPU, instead of 2?

2.  Are Ryzen 3 and GeForce GT 710 enough for this project?

3.  How will I be able to boot macOS on startup?

On 4/18/2019 at 9:29 PM, Sauron said:

I love this. I love that you guys are demystifying Linux and the command line for the average user, even if it's just to help people run macOS on something that isn't a mac. Keep it up!

Not anymore, the current Community Standards allow it.

It depends on where you want the ease to be - once you get this set up you probably won't have to worry about it for a while whereas a hackintosh may be easier to set up but require more maintenance.

Alright yeah that's a good point I agree, maintenance should be better. Honestly all this makes me want to setup a Hackintosh again but I have two pieces of incompatible hardware by now sadly. My GTX 1070 won't run on Mojave though I guess I could install the prior release and my Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer is wholly incompatible with macOS and I don't really want to buy a new sound-card just for macOS to be honest.

On 4/20/2019 at 1:35 AM, Video Beagle said:

AH...obviously the Hackintosh world has moved on since I did anything ...7? wow..7 years ago, as AMD wasn't supported then.  Cool!

It was just not as much as it is now xD 

Shaneee's Ryzen Pro
Installed Operating Systems:
 macOS Sonoma 14.x - Windows 11 Pro

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming RAM: 16GB 3200MHz Graphics: ASUS TUF RX 6800 OC
HDD: MP400 1TB - 960 EVO 500GB - Crucial MX500 250GB - 640GB WDC - 500GB WDC

AMD OS X

On 4/20/2019 at 3:28 PM, yashobam said:

i am running amd and btw try creating a new virtual machine with qemu/kvm user session

Have you found any solution to the problem?

22 hours ago, LordHeXD said:

If I recall correctly qemu is able to boot into a VM with a headless host. Wouldn't technically doing this allow the VM to have full control of the integrated graphics?

I'll probably need to do some testing once I get my laptop. (Potentially I am even considering loading Linux + MacVM on an external drive so I can leave the internal NVMe as Windows).

That's what I said, you unload X11 and essentially turn Linux into a headless system. The only concern is many laptops don't have iommu support, just virtualization extensions, which isn't enough to get accelerated graphics.

15 hours ago, sfrvtma said:

Noob questions:

1.  Will I be able to run this thing on 1 GPU, instead of 2?

2.  Are Ryzen 3 and GeForce GT 710 enough for this project?

3.  How will I be able to boot macOS on startup?

It's possible, but it requires disabling graphics on the Linux host side. You'll have to use another system (SSH) to start the VM.

The whole thing doesn't quite make sense. It just replaces problems specific for your real hardware with problems specific for your virtual hardware. Updating to Mojave is still a hackintosh-flavored pain in the butt: the network drivers break on update, and since there is nobody who is really using anything like that to run Mojave, you just don't know what to do. And frankly, the installation of qemu and setting up the VM are dark and full of terrors for a user who was little experience with linux. At least on my laptop, qemu had some trouble installing it, and I had to resolve some issues before I was able to actually start the machine, which, too, needed some fixing (don't use IDE CDROMs, trust me). It all took about a day. In the end, it would be good, if you could simulate native mac hardware with qemu. Then, you wouldn't have to worry about little things such as audio and network, and it all would be more or less reasonable. (Keep in mind that for your videocard to be used properly by the system, you still need to install the same drivers you would use on a hackintosh) But right now, there's no point to it all, since virtual hardware is just another set of hardware, as rare as any real hardware, and with its own problems.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:34 AM, Shaneee said:

Or just install macOS physically on your machine :P

791nZV8.png

Could you please share that Mac pro's iso file.

This looked like it could be super interesting, and should have been.  But honestly, I'm less interested in watching exactly how to set it up, which I will sort out when the time comes, and more interested in answers to the obvious questions:

• How does this virtualized hackintosh perform relative to a hackintosh on the raw hardware or relative to a vmware hackntosh
  • Does this work on more machines than normal hackintosh does?
  • If not, is it easier to set up or maintain?

After watching, I don't know about actual performance or maintainability.

Also, at first, it seemed like the video was promising that a virtualized hackintosh set up like this wouldn't break with updates like normal hackintoshes do. But then I realized even this demo isn't set up with the latest version of OS X, because upgrading to mojave breaks the NVIDIA drivers.  

So, to sum up:  it may be that this solution works on a more limited range of hardware, but unclear; it is also unclear whether it performs as well as the more common hackintosh options, but it may be pretty close;  some upgrades still break this version of hackintosh, but not very clear which ones or when.  

1 hour ago, shukoor said:

Could you please share that Mac pro's iso file.

There is no need for an ISO file, all the required binaries can be patched from the vanilla sources.