Make ANY PC Into a Hackintosh!

nicklmg

Yay! I love these more interesting/informative videos! 

So uhhh.. Where are the benchmarks? Makes you wonder if 'native MacOS' on Apple's own machine would perform better than a similarly priced Hackintosh.

I liked the original title more than the new one. 

Old: "Make ANY PC Into a Hackintosh!"

New: Apple won't like this... - Run MacOS on ANY PC

But it seems alright, at least the second part of the new title is descriptive enough.

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

This is gonna stir up the CS pot.

Community Standards? They removed the rule about no Hackintosh talk some time ago now, although Linus' comment on piracy makes it kind of gray-zone ..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Hurray, I couldn't wait for you guys to cover this. Although I'm a bit disappointed that you guys went through the easy route.

🙂

I really appreciate this video and was really fascinated at how smooth it worked by the end but honestly as someone who setup a Hackintosh before, getting a Hackintosh to run without virtualization is way easier (if you have somewhat compatible hardware, I know I know... :P)

What does it show in About this Mac for the CPU? Does it show up as Ryzen, or as an Intel CPU?

I love this. I love that you guys are demystifying Linux and the command line for the average user, even if it's just to help people run macOS on something that isn't a mac. Keep it up!

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Aren't we not supposed to discuss HACKINTOSH as per the forum rules?!?!?!

Not anymore, the current Community Standards allow it.

1 minute ago, Skyyblaze said:

I really appreciate this video and was really fascinated at how smooth it worked by the end but honestly as someone who setup a Hackintosh before, getting a Hackintosh to run without virtualization is way easier (if you have somewhat compatible hardware, I know I know... :P)

It depends on where you want the ease to be - once you get this set up you probably won't have to worry about it for a while whereas a hackintosh may be easier to set up but require more maintenance.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So is it possible to have Windows virtualized as well for playing games all in the same computer?

Also can you just install new updates like you would on a real Mac or do you have to start the process over every time Apple releases a new software version?

Couldn't you have used the VM images from Techviewers to do this with VMware or VirtualBox in windows, without the need of an actual Mac?

They have tutorial to get Mojave for VMware and VirtualBox. (also High Sierra if you prefer the older OS)

Is it just because of the GPU passthrough thing? I thought we could do this with VMware now...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, torgousi said:

So is it possible to have Windows virtualized as well for playing games all in the same computer?

Also can you just install new updates like you would on a real Mac or do you have to start the process over every time Apple releases a new software version?

absolutely.

Sorry but isn't Linus overselling the "any hardware" thing? The reason they didn't went with Mojave is because there is no support for the 1070 in it. And looking at the current situation of the Nvidia/Apple thing it seems rather questionable to make a video with this combo. This is just a supercharged hackintosh. You might have more support for stuff but your part choice still matter.

Or just install macOS physically on your machine :P

791nZV8.png

Shaneee's Ryzen Pro
Installed Operating Systems:
 macOS Sonoma 14.x - Windows 11 Pro

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming RAM: 16GB 3200MHz Graphics: ASUS TUF RX 6800 OC
HDD: MP400 1TB - 960 EVO 500GB - Crucial MX500 250GB - 640GB WDC - 500GB WDC

AMD OS X

5 minutes ago, Kono said:

Sorry but isn't Linus overselling the "any hardware" thing? The reason they didn't went with Mojave is because there is no support for the 1070 in it. And looking at the current situation of the Nvidia/Apple thing it seems rather questionable to make a video with this combo. This is just a supercharged hackintosh. You might have more support for stuff but your part choice still matter.

Don't forget we used an AMD CPU :)

7 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Don't forget we used an AMD CPU :)

Ryzen CPU's have been fine running on Mac OS as far as I can tell. People even got it (mostly) working on FX series processors. Even unsupported CPU's can be made to work by spoofing the CPU ID and what not but I don't think that's been an issue for a few years.

Heres a 2990WX running just fine

E0948E4E-519D-466C-8CB7-8FD71652A8DE.png

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

17 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Couldn't you have used the VM images from Techviewers to do this with VMware or VirtualBox in windows, without the need of an actual Mac?
https://techsviewer.com

They have tutorial to get Mojave for VMware (also High Sierra if you prefer the older OS) and Mojave for VirtualBox.

Is it just because of the GPU passthrough thing? I thought we could do this with VMware now...

That would be easier, but also very clearly piracy, since you're downloading software you don't actually have a license for to begin with. Our method is just "it's complicated". Also, I'm reasonably sure you'd get better performance via KVM/QEMU than VMWare, especially if it's a question of whether you've got a Linux or Windows host.

1 minute ago, Kono said:

You could still run Mojave with an Nvidia GPU, just without acceleration. Running macOS without acceleration IS a bad time, so until Nvidia/Apple hammer out their driver situation (last I've read, they're working to release the drivers officially through Apple), it's best to use an AMD or Intel GPU. Audio, networking, storage, etc are all supported on the single OVMF i440fx platform and aren't considerations, and any modern CPU with SSE4.1 will work (so AMD FX on and Intel Penryn on).

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

This is gonna stir up the CS pot.

Don't you know, you get to break the rules when you make the rules.

/s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

hi everyone, just signed up to forums.

impeccable timing; I was just thinking, "i should really update that yosemite hack, maybe I should re-visit virtualization..." and then I decide to go to youtube - posted "1 min ago" was this video.  cool stuff.

anyway, I scripted most of it, have not tested but probably fine eh

assumes some Arch variant, and also assumes intel cpu, but can be changed with variables at top.

mac machine:

#!/bin/bash

set -e
git clone https://github.com/PassthroughPOST/Hackintosh-KVM
chmod +x Hackintosh-KVM/create_iso_highsierra.sh
./Hackintosh-KVM/create_iso_highsierra.sh

linux machine:

#!/bin/bash

AMD=false
FILEPATH=$PWD

set -e
sudo pacman -S libvirt qemu ovm virt-manager

systemctl enable libvirtd
systemctl start libvirtd

mkdir -p osx86 && cd osx86
git clone https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM &
git clone https://github.com/PassthroughPOST/Hackintosh-KVM &&
for FILE in OSX-KVM/OVMF_CODE.fd OSX-KVM/OVMF_VARS.fd; do cp $FILE .; done
CPU=$(if ${AMD}; then echo "amd"; else echo "intel"; fi)
cd Hackintosh-KVM
cp Example-XML-files/osx_${CPU}_i440fx.xml ./${CPU}_hackintosh.xml
python3 - ./${CPU}_hackintosh.xml ${FILEPATH}/Hackintosh-KVM << EOF
import sys

filename = sys.argv[1]
ovmf_code = f'{sys.argv[2]}/OVMF_CODE.fd'
ovmf_vars = f'{sys.argv[2]}/OVMF_VARS.fd'

def replace(line, keyword, path, opts=''):
    if f'<{keyword}' in line and opts in line:
        head = ' '.join((keyword, opts)) if opts else keyword
        return f'<{head}>{path}</{keyword}>'

print(f'Opening {filename}...')
lines, omitNext = [], False
with open(filename, 'r') as xml:
    for line in xml:
        if omitNext and "<qemu:arg value=" in line:
            omitNext = False
        elif "<qemu:arg value='-object'/>" in line:
            omitNext = True
        else:
            lines.append(line)
    lines.append('</domain>')

with open(filename, 'w') as xml:
    for line in lines:
        line = replace(
                line, 'loader', ovmf_code
                "readonly='yes' type='pflash'",
            )
        line = replace(line, 'nvram', ovmf_vars)
        line = replace(line, 'name', 'Hackintosh')
        xml.write(line)
EOF
virsh define hackintosh.xml

1 hour ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Aren't we not supposed to discuss HACKINTOSH as per the forum rules?!?!?!

Image result for oh sweet irony

Nah, that was changed back in August...

On 8/27/2018 at 3:44 PM, Whiskers said:

• Any discussion on how to engage in piracy is not allowed, including the discussion of hacking or cracking.
    • Discussion of piracy in general is acceptable (e.g. "Game X becomes the most pirated game ever").
    • Hackintosh discussion is permitted.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Wow, if only I had this video 6 months ago....

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I am actually wondering if I could do the same method on a relatively old XPS 13 (i5 5200u, 4GB). I am running Arch atm and I really want to try this out, though I was sort of averse to doing an actual hackintosh because it required me to swap my wifi card. (I bought this laptop second hand and really cannot be bothered to spend any more money.)

I don't have a dedicated GPU or USB controller tho. Has anyone here done something like this on a similar machine?

14 minutes ago, Radian said:

I am actually wondering if I could do the same method on a relatively old XPS 13 (i5 5200u, 4GB). I am running Arch atm and I really want to try this out, though I was sort of averse to doing an actual hackintosh because it required me to swap my wifi card. (I bought this laptop second hand and really cannot be bothered to spend any more money.)

I don't have a dedicated GPU or USB controller tho. Has anyone here done something like this on a similar machine?

this is my first forum account besides Reddit, just made it now :)

I want to do this with my Asus S551LB. (i7-4500U with GT 740M 2GB). I do have a dedicated GPU so it might be possible. 

19 minutes ago, Radian said:

I would say that RAM is a quite limiting factor. 4GB for a Mac is borderline useless. I tried to use a VM a waaaay back when I had a Windows ASUS Zenbook, allocating anything less of 2GB of RAM to Mac is just not a viable option. If you plan to use Mac extensively, more RAM you give it the better. 8-16GB optimal. 

1 minute ago, PeterBocan said:

I would say that RAM is a quite limiting factor. 4GB for a Mac is borderline useless. I tried to use a VM a waaaay back when I had a Windows ASUS Zenbook, allocating anything less of 2GB of RAM to Mac is just not a viable option. If you plan to use Mac extensively, more RAM you give it the better. 8-16GB optimal. 

I have 6GB on DDR3 on the laptop, 2GB video memory

Would this let me use iMessage on android? Austin just made a video a few weeks ago on how to do it, but it requires a mac. What are the specifics of the part when Anthony said getting Facetime and iMessage working are hit or miss?

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.