Recommend me an air cooler that can match the preformance of a 240mm AIO.

Gerr

In my bedroom PC I have a 6700K in a Define Mini C case cooled by an NZXT x41(140mm AIO).  I am upgrading my main rig and will put its current CPU of a 7700K into my bedroom PC and that CPU can hit 5.0Ghz @ 1.41v.  The x41 just isn't powerful enough to cool it and need something around the power of a 240mm AIO to cool it.  In my main rig, it was cooled by a Corair H100i v2, which I am keeping in that system.  Thus I need a replacement cooler that will fit into my Define Mini C.  While I could just get a 240mm AIO, I would prefer a good air cooler to help keep this system as quiet as possible and not worry about possible leaks.  I have my eye on the new Noctua NH-U12A, but at $99, it's a hard pill to swollow.

Any other air coolers that can cool at least as well as an 240mm AIO, but won't break the bank?  I would prefer under $70 if possible as any higher and I might as well just get the U12A.  I have several spare Noctua fans of both 120mm & 140mm, so a good cooler with bad fans that I can replace would also be a good suggestion.

Does the D14/D15 fit the Define C mini? That, the Dark rock 4 Pro or the R1 ultimate would be my picks. The U12A is really awesome and will go in pretty much any case you might have in the future though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The D15, DRP4, and R1 Ultimate are all within $10 of the U12A and give similar preformance at nearly twice the size.  I would just get the U12A over any of those.

Though the D14 is $20 cheaper, but would prefer something more modern and would still get the U12A instead.

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

noctua nh- d14, nh-d15 and bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4

if you want something smaller, the NH-d12A is you best bet

I have a question GoldenLag my guru.  What RPM do the fans have to spin to keep the CPU cool and allow for max overclock ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

16 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I have a question GoldenLag my guru.  What RPM do the fans have to spin to keep the CPU cool and allow for max overclock ?

idk, just test yourself. set your own fancurve. tho the D12A is pretty silent regardless

Just now, GoldenLag said:

idk, just test yourself. set your own fancurve. tho the D12A is pretty silent regardless

Oh I don't have a HSF, I was just curious about the RPM and noise levels.  If peep don't go liquid cooling Im going to suggest the D12A as you suggested to the chap above.  

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Oh I don't have a HSF, I was just curious about the RPM and noise levels.  If peep don't go liquid cooling Im going to suggest the D12A as you suggested to the chap above.  

look at reviews. it scores slightly bellow the nh d15. 

38 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Does the D14/D15 fit the Define C mini?

The case will take coolers up to 170mm. 

The DRP4 is 162.8mm, the D14 is 160mm with fans, the D15 is 165mm with fans.  So yeah, those should fit just fine.

14 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

windale 6

Great option for a budget but beefy air cooler, but well below the preformance I need.  A NH-U14S out preforms it.  At $63, that U14S seems like a really good deal.  I also have some spare Noctua fans, so I could easily add one to make it a push/pull setup which pulls it within 1* of a D15.  Thinking that might be my best option.  Thoughts?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yep, the NH-U12A is just way overpriced, its value is just bad. It costs more than NH-D15 price in my country. It's just baaad... Lol

I would recommend Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT to just simply answer your question of matching 240mm AIO performance while reasonably cheaper. It's the best value for high performance air cooler.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs: