Upgrade suggestion from R9 290

Nio9345

So I was thinking of upgrading my Graphics card after so long and I don't know what to buy. As I stated in my title I have a XFX R9 290 Dual Edition and I finally upgraded my PC. I don't know though what GC to buy. I don't plan on playing on 4K or 144Hz or other such buzz words. My current monitor is a Belinea 5:4 TFT and if I upgrade it in the future I would probably go for a 720 or 1080 monitor at 60 or 75Hz. As for my current build I have a Ryzen 5 2600x with a B450 Aorus PRO, 16GB 3200Hz Ram and 1 SSD and 1 2TB HDD and a Corsair RM750x PSU. I'm leaning towards a Vega 56 since I want to game on Linux and Open Source Drivers and Vulcan Support is a MUST in my case.

Going from r9 290 to vega 56 isn't much of an improvement. I suggest paying a bit more for vega 64. This nitro+ card is on a really good price right now, so I'd take advantage of it while it's there.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MssmP6/sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-64-8gb-nitro-video-card-11275-03-40g

The ideal thing is to wait for Navi though, as that will have much better value than anything AMD and Nvidia currently have to offer at the midrange/high-end.

1 minute ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Going from r9 290 to vega 56 isn't much of an improvement. I suggest paying a bit more for vega 64. This nitro+ card is on a really good price right now, so I'd take advantage of it while it's there.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MssmP6/sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-64-8gb-nitro-video-card-11275-03-40g

The ideal thing is to wait for Navi though, as that will have much better value than anything AMD and Nvidia currently have to offer at the midrange/high-end.

Not much of an improvement?

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-290-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-56/2171vs3938

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

I'd probably get the V64, V56 isn't a bad choice but personally I'd prefer a larger performance jump

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

vega 64 Nitro+ from sapphire is a really good choice right now. so id lean towards picking that up. 

the R9 290 is still a very capable GPU these days. but if you dont need it anymore you can sell it for around 80USD

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'd probably get the V64, V56 isn't a bad choice but personally I'd prefer a larger performance jump

3 hours ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Going from r9 290 to vega 56 isn't much of an improvement

If you understand relative performance via Nvidia, it's going from a graphics card weaker than a 1060 to stronger than a 1070, pretty big jump.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad