Facebook oopsie: 1.5mil people's contacts uploaded without consent

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

Facebook and privacy nightmares go as well as a fine red wine mixed in with delicately grilled wagyu. 

In short, they go really well together. 

Are you drunk. Cheeseburgers and beer, I say.

11 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

I have a theory about that.  Grab some tin foil.

Hide contents

Darpa was working on the "Lifelog" project, a database which allowed them to track anyone's entire life.  The Pentagon killed that project on February 4th 2004 due to privacy concerns.

3 guesses at what date Facebook was officially founded ...

The Wired article about the cancellation of the Lifelog project: https://www.wired.com/2004/02/pentagon-kills-lifelog-project/
The Wikipedia page on Facebook.  You can see the founding date in the column on the right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

Joking aside, FB's data trove is far too valuable for the government to just shut it down.  Oh, and then there's the issue of how it would disrupt things if FB were to disappear overnight.

Basically no need for a conspiracy, when the populace is stupid enough to offer the information (IE, some other countries offer incentives for population to "out" criminals/dissidents... no need for the secret police to knock on those doors).

Fakebook is simply way too big to go bankrupt. They can pull any shit like this and people simply won't care.

And saying "Alright, I've had enough of it, deleting FB right now" doesn't help anything, Mark Suckerberg laughes his ass off at you.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Yeah ok sure Bookface accident indeed. I don't even care, don't talk to anyone on it, just follow some sites that's all haha. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

32 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Fakebook is simply way too big to go bankrupt. They can pull any shit like this and people simply won't care.

And saying "Alright, I've had enough of it, deleting FB right now" doesn't help anything, Mark Suckerberg laughes his ass off at you.

Also, before you "delete" or deactivate Fecesbook, you should change ALL of your info to some fake random data. And not totally in the end but you leave it that way for a while. Coz they don't actually delete anything so if your data remains up there, make sure it's fake.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

27 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Also, before you "delete" or deactivate Fecesbook, you should change ALL of your info to some fake random data. And not totally in the end but you leave it that way for a while. Coz they don't actually delete anything so if your data remains up there, make sure it's fake.

Exactly. Even if you delete FB before changing info in to fake ones, your data still remains on FB their servers. Pretty creepy.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

Exactly. Even if you delete FB before changing info in to fake ones, your data still remains on FB their servers. Pretty creepy.

Also isn't that illegal? At least in the UK with GDPR it should be I think. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

7 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

You can pretty make most of everything private on FB. 

I know where you are going with this (going into privacy settings, customizing feed, and being careful about what you upload) but just as a general rule of thumb with ANY social media nothing is private at all.  Please for your sake and anyone else's keep that in mind.  Once its out there its out there. 

3 minutes ago, bradwiggo said:

Also isn't that illegal? At least in the UK with GDPR it should be I think. 

It is if I'm right. But you know how the big corps are, they won't care and won't do anything.

DAC/AMPs:

17 hours ago, RejZoR said:

What bothers me is how this wasn't classified as a phishing attack and Facebook being slammed hard by law enforcement and fined billions? 

Governments would rather secretly work with facebook instead of fight it.

Shit as big as facebook can kind of manipulate public opinion by serving the users news articles etc. of their choice, a great propaganda tool essentially

Plus government want your data too. Perhaps more than anyone else! 

It's never a government's interest to protect your privacy you know...

14 hours ago, sof006 said:

Wtf this is every other day. How many times is this going to be an accident?

Is not a accident, when it leaked they claim to be accident to minimize damaged claused.

Magical Pineapples

16 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I wouldn't think for a second that they wouldn't also continue to store the old stuff.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Sadly, I don't think this is an oopsies by Facebook. Likely a common practice they were doing until caught and called out... I am seriously about to delete my facebook account. Only reason I have it is for family and military friends to keep in touch with. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I wouldn't think for a second that they wouldn't also continue to store the old stuff.

I'm aware of that, but their automation probably assumes last info is the most relevant one. Which is why I wouldn't change the info and deactivate account immediately. I'd enter fake info, wait for a month or two without any real usage and then deactivate so it seems like your info is real.

I frankly can't wait the day when Facebook (and similar companies, like Google) get slammed ultra hard for all this privacy nonsense. It's actually mind bending that such appalling handling of user data is even permissible...

8 hours ago, Slurs Gang said:

giphy.gif

I am glad that my account got deleted 4 days ago. 

Not really, they still have informations about you after you deleted your account.

DAC/AMPs:

At least they won't be getting anything new assuming he also blocks all the Facebook shit that's hidden on nearly all webpages...

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

Not really, they still have informations about you after you deleted your account.

Source please? 

1 hour ago, Slurs Gang said:

Source please? 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ok-youve-deleted-facebook-but-is-your-data-still-out-there/

There are more articles about that, can't be arsed to search for more so you can search for more.

DAC/AMPs:

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I'm aware of that, but their automation probably assumes last info is the most relevant one. Which is why I wouldn't change the info and deactivate account immediately. I'd enter fake info, wait for a month or two without any real usage and then deactivate so it seems like your info is real.

Despite the colossal list of scandals such as this one, I think they're running a fairly sophisticated operation.  I'm sure their systems can detect a complete profile overhaul and handle it accordingly, however that may be.  Basically if you bought into the system, it's too late.  No chance and no point of getting out now.  Only if you've avoided them from the start is it even worth thinking about.

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I frankly can't wait the day when Facebook (and similar companies, like Google) get slammed ultra hard for all this privacy nonsense. It's actually mind bending that such appalling handling of user data is even permissible...

Yes

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I finally got Zucc'd. It's taken them nearly 2 years to work out that I am in fact not a toaster, and now want ID so I can get back in. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. Goodbye Fuckbace, you waste of time :)

13 hours ago, Slurs Gang said:

Source please? 

Considering it impossible for you to check your information has been deleted from all their servers and backups. Similar to existence of shadow profiles, nothing is truly deleted once on the internet.

Magical Pineapples