Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Chaos

Facebook oopsie: 1.5mil people's contacts uploaded without consent

Posted · Original PosterOP

Another day, another Facebook privacy issue. 

Earlier this month there was a topic about how people signing up for a Facebook account were asked to enter their email passwords.

It turns out that when people actually gave Facebook access to their mailbox, Facebook "unintentionally" uploaded their contact lists to their servers without even asking for their consent.

This info was then used to let Facebook find out your social connections and recommend more friends to add.  It is unclear if the data was also used for advertising purposes.

Facebook said that before May 2016, it offered an option to verify a user's account and voluntarily upload their contacts at the same time.

However, Facebook said, it changed the feature, and the text informing users that their contacts would be uploaded was deleted — but the underlying functionality was not.

Source : Business Insider

https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-uploaded-1-5-million-users-email-contacts-without-permission-2019-4?r=US&IR=T

I'm honestly not even surprised anymore.  I also have some serious doubts about this being unintentional. 

At least now that they got caught they will be deleting the info ... or so they say.  Good luck finding out if they actually did. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Another day, another Facebook privacy issue. 

Earlier this month there  was a topic about how people signing up for a Facebook account were asked to enter their email passwords.

It turns out that when people actually gave Facebook access to their mailbox, Facebook "unintentionally" uploaded their contact lists to their servers without even asking for their consent.

This info was then used to let Facebook find out your social connections and recommend more friends to add.  It is unclear if the data was also used for advertising purposes.

Source : Business Insider

https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-uploaded-1-5-million-users-email-contacts-without-permission-2019-4?r=US&IR=T

I'm honestly not even surprised anymore.  I also have some serious doubts about this being unintentional. 

At least now that they got caught they will be deleting the info ... but good luck finding out if they actually did. 

What can facebook do right anymore... *facepalm*

My pc is just a pre-built idk i dropped my gpu i dont trust myself to build one.

Core i3 7100

8gb ddr4

1050ti

rockin cd player

1 tb HDD

m.2 ssd

500gb HDD

Now, the sound. Ah, the sound.

Schiit yggdrasil

Mcintosh MA9000

Chord shawline RCA cables

Isotek EVO3 power conditioner

Audioquest NRG-Y3 power cables

Chord clearway XLR's

QED Supremus speaker cable, 2m

Undecided on speakers

beats are the best headphones available

4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I also have some serious doubts about this being unintentional.

Well, you don't just accidentally write all the code for scouring through an email-account's contacts and adding them to a database. I mean, it's not like all the code for that just appears out of thin air, so.....

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Well, you don't just accidentally write all the code for scouring through an email-account's contacts and adding them to a database. I mean, it's not like all the code for that just appears out of thin air, so.....

Maybe they didn't use EEC memory and a load of solar flares cause data corruption that had no effect other than writing the exact code needed to copy contacts. It caused the back-end servers which also don't have ECC memory to accidentally update the database schema to include this information they never intended to collect!

What is next you say?  People not ACTUALLY caring and still using the service.  Just like all the other times.

I know very very few people who do not use FB.  I quit using it almost 2 years ago when I had my second child because of the time I was spending being a narcissist.  Decided to separate myself from the sheep and goats.   

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8ghz all core stock voltage, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker, Corsair HX850 PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO push top exhaust, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/36825649?

Ryzen Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8ghz all core stock voltage (yes, 2 of them...silicone lottery!), Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, 640gb WD Blue 7200 RPM Mech drive, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 Case

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

A couple laptops and tablets around the house

4 hours ago, WereCatf said:

What bothers me is how this wasn't classified as a phishing attack and Facebook being slammed hard by law enforcement and fined billions? If ANYONE else did anything like this they'd be thrown in a jail because it's a god damn crime. But Facebook, nah, it was an "ooopsie". WHAT THE F**K ?! This shit didn't just randomly come up, someone at Facebook had an idea, someone vetted it, it went live and someone did things with harvested data. Don't tell me all of a sudden NO ONE is responsibel for this fuckup. It's absurd what corporations are doing with private user data and no one does a fucking thing when they violate this. Not users, not law enforcement, no one. This is discusting and this is the reason why Facebook just needs to f**king die already.

I think a lot of people just don't care, and in fact probably benefited from it, even if they did not understand what was going on. 

Think of some old person just joining, and getting all their contacts from years of e-mails in the system, ready for them to add. Do they want to have to get a privacy pop up, be warned about potential leakage, or do they just want it to work and be easy?

Why isn't there a "75 strikes and you're out" policy where the company can just be dissolved by force of law for too many breaches and problems like this

Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why isn't there a "75 strikes and you're out" policy where the company can just be dissolved by force of law for too many breaches and problems like this

I have a theory about that.  Grab some tin foil.

Darpa was working on the "Lifelog" project, a database which allowed them to track anyone's entire life.  The Pentagon killed that project on February 4th 2004 due to privacy concerns.

3 guesses at what date Facebook was officially founded ...

The Wired article about the cancellation of the Lifelog project: https://www.wired.com/2004/02/pentagon-kills-lifelog-project/
The Wikipedia page on Facebook.  You can see the founding date in the column on the right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

Joking aside, FB's data trove is far too valuable for the government to just shut it down.  Oh, and then there's the issue of how it would disrupt things if FB were to disappear overnight.

45 minutes ago, Slurs Gang said:

💩 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Twitter >= Facebook

fify

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Why can't Facebook store data securely like any other company rather than constantly fucking leaking and uploading it all the time?

They're a multi-billion dollar company, the fact they keep doing this type of shit is concerning.

Anyway, I'm deleting Facebook. I've had enough of their BS..

Useful links: Community Standards | PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier List | How to set up a Linux Gaming PC from start to finish

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

25 minutes ago, XR6 said:

Why can't Facebook store data securely like any other company rather than constantly fucking leaking and uploading it all the time?

They're a multi-billion dollar company, the fact they keep doing this type of shit is concerning.

Anyway, I'm deleting Facebook. I've had enough of their BS..

Other company don't store your data securely at all. They don't put a lot of funds onto security department instead they put a lot of funds onto new products to sell to consumers. This is why data breach is common these days. 

Facebook perhaps stored all users account info on a plain text. If there is a data breach, Facebook will going to blame the bad guys to hide their bad security practices. 

I'll just quote the "insane" John McAfee,

"If everyone, knew everything, about everyone else, society would collapse".

That's what social media is.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

9 hours ago, Slurs Gang said:

First, they use your photos without your permission for ads promote. Now this shit. What is next?

Next they will start posting things on your behalf!

*we noticed you didn't update everyone on your visit to grandma in the hospital, nor let anyone know that she was in the hospital, let alone why.. so we went ahead and announced all the traumatic health struggles in your family and posted all the pictures from  your phone that you weren't going to publicize.*

1 hour ago, Unclescar said:

Next they will start posting things on your behalf!

*we noticed you didn't update everyone on your visit to grandma in the hospital, nor let anyone know that she was in the hospital, let alone why.. so we went ahead and announced all the traumatic health struggles in your family and posted all the pictures from  your phone that you weren't going to publicize.*

God no, don't give them ideas...

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'll just quote the "insane" John McAfee,

"If everyone, knew everything, about everyone else, society would collapse".

That's what social media is.

You can pretty make most of everything private on FB. 

i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz

Asus Strix OC 1080Ti

ROG Maximus IX Hero

EVGA G2 850W

32GB DDR4 (16x2) @ 3000Mhz

X62 Kraken

Creative Soundblaster Zx

Windows 10 Pro x64

Phanteks Primo

14 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Well, they're "supposed" to do that when you agree to it, so it makes sense for the code to be there - but it shouldn't happen when consent is not given.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Facebook and privacy nightmares go as well as a fine red wine mixed in with delicately grilled wagyu. 

In short, they go really well together. 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Wtf this is every other day. How many times is this going to be an accident?

System Specs:

CPU:  Intel 8700K (3.7-4.7GHz Turbo)  GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 Ti DUAL OC MB: MSI Z370 Gaming Plus   RAM: Corsair 3000MHz 2x8GB(16GB)  CPU Cooler: Kraken X42 AIO  Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Z  SSD: OCZ ARC100 480GB  HDD: Western Digital 1TB Black, Seagate Barracuda 1TB both 7200RPM, WD Green 2TB (storage)  PSU: Pro750W XFX 80 Plus Gold  Case: NZXT H500 Optical Drive: -