Facebook oopsie: 1.5mil people's contacts uploaded without consent

Another day, another Facebook privacy issue. 

Earlier this month there was a topic about how people signing up for a Facebook account were asked to enter their email passwords.

It turns out that when people actually gave Facebook access to their mailbox, Facebook "unintentionally" uploaded their contact lists to their servers without even asking for their consent.

This info was then used to let Facebook find out your social connections and recommend more friends to add.  It is unclear if the data was also used for advertising purposes.

Facebook said that before May 2016, it offered an option to verify a user's account and voluntarily upload their contacts at the same time.

However, Facebook said, it changed the feature, and the text informing users that their contacts would be uploaded was deleted — but the underlying functionality was not.

Source : Business Insider

https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-uploaded-1-5-million-users-email-contacts-without-permission-2019-4?r=US&IR=T

I'm honestly not even surprised anymore.  I also have some serious doubts about this being unintentional. 

At least now that they got caught they will be deleting the info ... or so they say.  Good luck finding out if they actually did. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Another day, another Facebook privacy issue. 

Earlier this month there  was a topic about how people signing up for a Facebook account were asked to enter their email passwords.

It turns out that when people actually gave Facebook access to their mailbox, Facebook "unintentionally" uploaded their contact lists to their servers without even asking for their consent.

This info was then used to let Facebook find out your social connections and recommend more friends to add.  It is unclear if the data was also used for advertising purposes.

Source : Business Insider

https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-uploaded-1-5-million-users-email-contacts-without-permission-2019-4?r=US&IR=T

I'm honestly not even surprised anymore.  I also have some serious doubts about this being unintentional. 

At least now that they got caught they will be deleting the info ... but good luck finding out if they actually did. 

What can facebook do right anymore... *facepalm*

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I also have some serious doubts about this being unintentional.

Well, you don't just accidentally write all the code for scouring through an email-account's contacts and adding them to a database. I mean, it's not like all the code for that just appears out of thin air, so.....

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Easy to believe. I always see people who are “in my contacts” to add on Instagram. They are most certainly not, or haven’t been for some time.

First, they use your photos without your permission for ads promote. Now this shit. What is next?

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Well, you don't just accidentally write all the code for scouring through an email-account's contacts and adding them to a database. I mean, it's not like all the code for that just appears out of thin air, so.....

Maybe they didn't use EEC memory and a load of solar flares cause data corruption that had no effect other than writing the exact code needed to copy contacts. It caused the back-end servers which also don't have ECC memory to accidentally update the database schema to include this information they never intended to collect!

What is next you say?  People not ACTUALLY caring and still using the service.  Just like all the other times.

I know very very few people who do not use FB.  I quit using it almost 2 years ago when I had my second child because of the time I was spending being a narcissist.  Decided to separate myself from the sheep and goats.   

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 hours ago, WereCatf said:

What bothers me is how this wasn't classified as a phishing attack and Facebook being slammed hard by law enforcement and fined billions? If ANYONE else did anything like this they'd be thrown in a jail because it's a god damn crime. But Facebook, nah, it was an "ooopsie". WHAT THE F**K ?! This shit didn't just randomly come up, someone at Facebook had an idea, someone vetted it, it went live and someone did things with harvested data. Don't tell me all of a sudden NO ONE is responsibel for this fuckup. It's absurd what corporations are doing with private user data and no one does a fucking thing when they violate this. Not users, not law enforcement, no one. This is discusting and this is the reason why Facebook just needs to f**king die already.

I think a lot of people just don't care, and in fact probably benefited from it, even if they did not understand what was going on. 

Think of some old person just joining, and getting all their contacts from years of e-mails in the system, ready for them to add. Do they want to have to get a privacy pop up, be warned about potential leakage, or do they just want it to work and be easy?

Bullshit it was unintentional

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Why isn't there a "75 strikes and you're out" policy where the company can just be dissolved by force of law for too many breaches and problems like this

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

27 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why isn't there a "75 strikes and you're out" policy where the company can just be dissolved by force of law for too many breaches and problems like this

I have a theory about that.  Grab some tin foil.

Darpa was working on the "Lifelog" project, a database which allowed them to track anyone's entire life.  The Pentagon killed that project on February 4th 2004 due to privacy concerns.

3 guesses at what date Facebook was officially founded ...

The Wired article about the cancellation of the Lifelog project: https://www.wired.com/2004/02/pentagon-kills-lifelog-project/
The Wikipedia page on Facebook.  You can see the founding date in the column on the right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

Joking aside, FB's data trove is far too valuable for the government to just shut it down.  Oh, and then there's the issue of how it would disrupt things if FB were to disappear overnight.

45 minutes ago, Slurs Gang said:

? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Twitter >= Facebook

fify

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Why can't Facebook store data securely like any other company rather than constantly fucking leaking and uploading it all the time?

They're a multi-billion dollar company, the fact they keep doing this type of shit is concerning.

Anyway, I'm deleting Facebook. I've had enough of their BS..

25 minutes ago, XR6 said:

Why can't Facebook store data securely like any other company rather than constantly fucking leaking and uploading it all the time?

They're a multi-billion dollar company, the fact they keep doing this type of shit is concerning.

Anyway, I'm deleting Facebook. I've had enough of their BS..

Other company don't store your data securely at all. They don't put a lot of funds onto security department instead they put a lot of funds onto new products to sell to consumers. This is why data breach is common these days. 

Facebook perhaps stored all users account info on a plain text. If there is a data breach, Facebook will going to blame the bad guys to hide their bad security practices. 

I'll just quote the "insane" John McAfee,

"If everyone, knew everything, about everyone else, society would collapse".

That's what social media is.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

9 hours ago, Slurs Gang said:

First, they use your photos without your permission for ads promote. Now this shit. What is next?

Next they will start posting things on your behalf!

*we noticed you didn't update everyone on your visit to grandma in the hospital, nor let anyone know that she was in the hospital, let alone why.. so we went ahead and announced all the traumatic health struggles in your family and posted all the pictures from  your phone that you weren't going to publicize.*

1 hour ago, Unclescar said:

Next they will start posting things on your behalf!

*we noticed you didn't update everyone on your visit to grandma in the hospital, nor let anyone know that she was in the hospital, let alone why.. so we went ahead and announced all the traumatic health struggles in your family and posted all the pictures from  your phone that you weren't going to publicize.*

God no, don't give them ideas...

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'll just quote the "insane" John McAfee,

"If everyone, knew everything, about everyone else, society would collapse".

That's what social media is.

You can pretty make most of everything private on FB. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

14 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Well, they're "supposed" to do that when you agree to it, so it makes sense for the code to be there - but it shouldn't happen when consent is not given.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Facebook and privacy nightmares go as well as a fine red wine mixed in with delicately grilled wagyu. 

In short, they go really well together. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Wtf this is every other day. How many times is this going to be an accident?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15