Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrMarcz

What CPU for gaming??

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi

So I've been needing a new CPU for a while so now it's time to do so.

I've been going between the i5 9600k, Ryzen 2700x, 2700 (Non-X) and the i7 8700, but I seriously cannot decide.

My current pc specs are:

i5 6400 2.7GHz

Asus b150m-a

GTX 1060 6gb

16gb ddr4 2133MHz

500w power supply

And since my power button on my case broke a little while ago, I need a new case.

I mostly play PUBG, BF5 and a little CS:GO here and there.

So a total budget of around 800 dollars for a new CPU, motherboard, case and if needed CPU cooler, nothing has been decided so please help a brother out :D Great day!

8700k is a really nice Cpu if you can afford it

CPU: i9 9900k @5ghz | GPU: Asus Strix 2080Ti OC | Cpu Cooler : Corsair H150i (360mm) | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390F  | RAM: ?  | Boot / OS SSD : Evo 256gb Case: NZXT Phantom 530 full tower | PSU: Evga SuperNova Platinum 8 

Yea true but wouldn't that require me to get some pretty good and a little expensive cooling since I would be overclocking it, to go pretty high?

6 minutes ago, MrMarcz said:

Yea true but wouldn't that require me to get some pretty good and a little expensive cooling since I would be overclocking it, to go pretty high?

Only K (Intel) processors can be overclocked, if there's no K after the 8700 it's not an overclockable CPU.

Just now, 191x7 said:

Only K (Intel) processors can be overclocked, if there's no K after the 8700 it's not an overclockable CPU.

I know, but if I were to buy a i7 8700K, which Surreals suggested I would without a doubt overclock it, which would result in me having to buy better and more effective cooling and going over my budget

Just now, MrMarcz said:

Okay, can you come with a reason?

It is way faster then all the others and way better value for gaming. Plus you wont run in to stuttering like you might with only 6 threads on the 9600K.

23 minutes ago, MrMarcz said:

Hi

So I've been needing a new CPU for a while so now it's time to do so.

I've been going between the i5 9600k, Ryzen 2700x, 2700 (Non-X) and the i7 8700, but I seriously cannot decide.

My current pc specs are:

i5 6400 2.7GHz

Asus b150m-a

GTX 1060 6gb

16gb ddr4 2133MHz

500w power supply

And since my power button on my case broke a little while ago, I need a new case.

I mostly play PUBG, BF5 and a little CS:GO here and there.

So a total budget of around 800 dollars for a new CPU, motherboard, case and if needed CPU cooler, nothing has been decided so please help a brother out :D Great day!

get r5 2600/2600x/i5 9400f, they are good enough for a 1060 6gb. 2600x and 9400f are more or less on par in gaming performance and 2600 is cheaper. 

as for case, fractal design meshify c is really good for good airflow.

i like water.

GPU Cooling Tier List | CPU Cooling Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | PSU Tier List       <<<<<<PLEASE CHECK THESE BEFORE BUYING

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU: i5-8400

Motherboard: MSI B360 GAMING ARCTIC

GPU: OEM Dell GTX 1070, Cooler Master Vertical GPU Mount

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White

Case Fans: 9x Corsair LL120 RGB + Commander Pro(I know, overkill for my specs but I'm upgrading soon)

Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7

RAM: 2 X 8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cables: Cablemod C-Series ModFlex White for RMi and RMx

Unless you are playing at 240hz (it will still do 240 in easier titles, it's just the more demanding stuff where intel pulls ahead), ryzen is always the better option for gamers in my opinion. It does everything the 8700 does, with two more cores. And you can overclock ryzen to bridge the small gap in performance. Not to mention the ryzen 2700/x are much more versatile, they are far stronger in streaming, rendering, video editing etc.

But for just gaming, I wouldn't do any of those. As the people above have said, the 2600 is the best option.

Here's an idea of what you could do with that 800 budget:

I would also recommend getting some new faster ram, as ryzen benefits massively from fast ram. I also put in a new psu in there, in case you ever wanted to upgrade the gpu to something much more powerful down the line.

8 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Unless you are playing at 240hz (it will still do 240 in easier titles, it's just the more demanding stuff where intel pulls ahead), ryzen is always the better option for gamers in my opinion. It does everything the 8700 does, with two more cores. And you can overclock ryzen to bridge the small gap in performance. Not to mention the ryzen 2700/x are much more versatile, they are far stronger in streaming, rendering, video editing etc.

But for just gaming, I wouldn't do any of those. As the people above have said, the 2600 is the best option.

I would also recommend getting some new faster ram, as ryzen benefits massively from fast ram. I also put in a new psu in there, in case you ever wanted to upgrade the gpu to something much more powerful down the line.

There's only about 50 usd between the 2600 and 2600x any reason why I shouldn't pick 2600x?

3 minutes ago, MrMarcz said:

There's only about 50 usd between the 2600 and 2600x any reason why I shouldn't pick 2600x?

You can overclock the 2600 with the stock cooler to reach close to the 2600x frequency. But if you don't want all that fuss, you can change it for the 2600x if you wanted.

Thank you so much for the help!!! I really do appreciate it, have an amazing day everyone seeing this!

With a 1060 buy a 2600( with or without x , better value without) or a 9600k , you dont need an i7 , and if you upgrade your gpu to something like a 2070(performance like) those 2 wont be an issue to play 1440p 144hz ( I play 1440p 165hz with a 8600k + 1070 and the gpu is limining my fps not my cpu). 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Even a 8400 its fine for you. 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

1 hour ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Is it really needed for me to upgrade my ram sticks though?? I'm from Denmark so prices are a little different here and I very easily go over my budget. Does the ram sticks really make such big difference in performance?

52 minutes ago, MrMarcz said:

Is it really needed for me to upgrade my ram sticks though?? I'm from Denmark so prices are a little different here and I very easily go over my budget. Does the ram sticks really make such big difference in performance?

They will on ryzen. Going from 2133 to 3000 will give you maybe 10% performance in some titles. It's up to you whether you think it's worth it. I think it is. Here's an example of ram speed differences:

And those parts I've given you are way under 800 dollars, so when you translate it to Denmark prices, it shouldn't be over your budget.