Issues booting new/old pc.

tlmills82

A friend of mine upgraded his gaming pc recently and gave me his old parts to get my wife a PC going. They worked when removed from his pc.

I installed everything in a case and got everything hooked up. I turn it on, but it shows the UEFI splash screen, then goes to the next screen telling me I have no drives connected (I've tried it both with them connected and disconnected) and then the screen goes black. Monitor is still receiving some sort of signal as the monitor light stays blue. I try to enter the UEFI to make sure that settings are correct but when I press delete on the splash screen to enter, it skips right to the next screen showing the drives and then the black screen. I've tried both a PS2 and USB keyboard and the same result on both.

Motherboard is a ASUS M5A99X EVO.

CPU is AMD FX4100

GTX 780 reference

Windows 7

8gb Gskill Sniper ram.

I've tried resetting the bios both via the jumper and shorting the battery compartment.

That's strange. How old are your boot drives?

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Just now, ImAyaanKhan said:

That's strange. How old are your boot drives?

I bought the SSD that is the boot drive about 2 years ago.  But if I don't even have it attached I still can't get into the UEFI

Just now, tlmills82 said:

I bought the SSD that is the boot drive about 2 years ago.  But if I don't even have it attached I still can't get into the UEFI

Does entering your bios look anything like this?

Click image for larger version.   Name: UEFImessage.jpg  Views: 3  Size: 693.9 KB  ID: 47921 

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

3 minutes ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

Does entering your bios look anything like this?

Yes, exactly like that.  I've pressed delete infinitely and still nothing.

41 minutes ago, Robert J. said:

Driver issue?

How would that stop me from entering the bios though?  Just trying to understand.

19 hours ago, tlmills82 said:

Here’s a short video of what happens.  I’m smashing delete the entire time.

A4ECE75D-A20D-4CAF-BFDA-BD0019D3613F.MOV

I read on tomshardware that windows 8 can lock people out of their BIOS. I'm not sure that this issue was carried over from windows 7, but I'm actively researching to try and find a plausible cause as to why this is happening. Since you can't boot into windows 7, you may have to RMA your motherboard, or even just buy another (pain in the arse, I know)

At this point it seems like you may just have a crappy motherboard that failed on you when you put it into a new pc. Try putting it in another pc and seeing what happens