Is Apple Even TRYING?? – Airpods 2 Review

nicklmg

Definitely not, they didn't even QA test the ol' throttling iMac.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I absolutely love my AirPods. Best tech product I‘ve ever bought after my 2012 mbp :P don’t really feel the need to „upgrade“ tho.

also: dbrand skins for AirPod cases? Seriously?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

No matter how much they cost or how much of a status simbol they are, they look ridiculous on everyone. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

13 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

No matter how much they cost or how much of a status simbol they are, they look ridiculous on everyone. 

So does most of the clothing Gucci offers ?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I'm still not a fan of the thumbnail and title style, but thanks a lot for adding for the product name/video purpose to the title though, that's appreciated!

Also, I just watched this video.. But I have like no interest in buying these things :P Just wanted to know how they compare to the previous Airpods.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

AirPods 2 is just a refresh, not an entirely new product and he knows that. Linus just likes clicks :3 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Legitimate concerns raised there. Having NO option for fittings/padding etc is a big let down. It's like Apple really really want to just kill the market by pretending there is only one type of person in existence, and forget the profit margin loss on any possibility of having "options".

Go to bluetooth settings, advanced, disable media volume sync, that should fix any max volume problems

Some of the things @LinusTech mentioned wanting in the AirPods 2, such as the ear tips, Apple did actually come out with, just not as the AirPods which remained roughly the same due to being the most popular wireless earbuds.

They did it as the PowerBeats Pro:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MV702LL/A/powerbeats-pro-totally-wireless-earphones-navy

What about the Samsung Galaxy Earbuds? They sound great with the samsung galaxy s10 (the phone can charge them too with the "power share").
Are they good? Review them too please!

Can't afford a iPhone X or smart enough not too? ? Seriously I would laugh if some Apple employee said that to a Android user and see them pull out the new Note from Sammy... Equally I wouldn't be surprised.

Personally I will never go back to in-ear garbage again, anything in ear is garbage. It's a great way of losing your hearing, at any volume.

TLDW: Apple "New Airpods" (Referred to here as "Airpods 2" - Apple is taking a cue from Nintendo here I guess)

• Buds themselves look/feel identical to the old ones
  • Released in conjunction with new wireless charging-capable charging case (which still has a lightning port for if you don't have a wireless charging pad) that also looks a bit nicer than the old one
  • Very slight improvements
    • Battery time during calls increased from 2h to 3h
    • Uses Bluetooth 5 instead of 4.2
    • Able to activate Siri by voice now instead of just double-tapping
    • 1-2s faster device switching
    • 30% improvement in audio latency (though this was not noticeable to the reviewer)
  • Apple did nothing to address concerns of different ear shapes leading to buds falling out or bad audio quality for many people (no replaceable/adjustable tips - one shape, and that's it)
  • No new types of gestures - It only allows for double tap, though the double tap gesture can be customized per ear to a variety of different functions. Telling Siri is still the only way to change the volume; you can't do it with gestures.
  • Very big problems on Android, including volume randomly switching to max upon switching to a new song
  • No manual way to update the firmware (Official instructions are "Plug them into an Apple device and wait", which did not work for them after hours of letting them sit)

Recommended if you know that they will fit your ears and are using an Apple phone. Not recommended for Android. Comments that Apple is seriously going to need to put more effort into these if they don't want third parties to take over.

7 minutes ago, kuhnertdm said:
  • Battery time during calls increased from 2h to 3h

Defense on Apples side (?) you can only do so much when your battery is this big... Want bigger? Buy over ear or ones with a battery dangling from your neck (aka not true wireless)

Q4aUJa1Uv3KpWJRR.huge

img from ifixit

to be honest i'm not surprised you can't update the airpods if you don't have an iPhone. they do everything in terms of pairing and setting up wirelessly. 

like, it's the same with syncing an iDevice to a pc. for that Apple's answers are:

are you on a Mac? cool. we include a nice optimized version of iTunes!

are you on Windows? well, you're gonna have to use a version of iTunes that's so unoptimized it chugs even on a dual X5650 system with 48GB of ram.

are you on Linux? f*ck you. 

did Linus really expect that Apple would change that? Apple is known for the ecosystem. if you have a lot of Apple devices everything works brilliantly. i can use the same apps i use on Mac that i do on my iPhone to manage all my calendar stuff and my reminders and my notes and it all syncs without effort. do you wanna do that using a Windows pc and an iPhone? or a Mac and an android phone? well you're gonna have to use third party apps. 

She/Her

Do people really buy things for the status is gives off to others of “status symbol”? I own Apple stuff and have an iPhone. Also like higher end brands. But I make no effort to show it off. 

59 minutes ago, William Payne said:

Do people really buy things for the status is gives off to others of “status symbol”? I own Apple stuff and have an iPhone. Also like higher end brands. But I make no effort to show it off. 

you dont have to show it off, but status is obviously part of the appeal of apple.

For updating the firmware, it should be possible to just get a $330 (USD) iPad.

I would also be interested in if an Apple Store "Genius" Bar would be of assistance in performing occasional firmware upgrade.  The statement in the review of "just wait" makes it sound like going the Apple Store update route would be painfully slow (if successful at all).  Regardless, it would have been nice if Linus could have put this to the test.

By the way, which is worse, Apple not providing any firmware upgrade path to Android users or Nike providing a firmware upgrade for Android which breaks the shoes?

I also would like to use this as an opportunity to rant about the Ikea Tradfri smart bulbs.  While they provide an app for both Android and Apple to use with the Tradfri gateway, the bulbs could sit in an "upgrading" state for *DAYS* before completing.

4 hours ago, William Payne said:

When you're out and about, pay attention to how many iPhone cases you see people using that have a cutout for the Apple logo. Q.E.D. 

As for the general phenomenon of status symbols, think of it as a way to convert financial capital into social capital. 

5 hours ago, William Payne said:

Half* of the shit people buy is affected by this to some extent.

Even "I bought it because I like it" has an element of of "what will others think?" embedded in it. If you didn't care what others thought, why would you need to "express your individuality".

It's just "human things". Move along, nothing to see here ?

* - a conservative estimate ?

1 minute ago, William Payne said:

Long answer: Take a psychology class, it'll tell you the answer.

Short answer: Yes.

I also like Linus's answer, works just as well.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:16 PM, DrMacintosh said:

AirPods 2 is just a refresh, not an entirely new product and he knows that. Linus just likes clicks :3 

Why did they call them airpods 2, they should have called them airpods s. They do that with their phones, may as well do it here too. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

Ok, that "volume up and down" comment by Linus was a bit weird. I only have iPhone for like 2 months and I know you can literally say "Hey Siri, set volume to 50%" and it'll set the media volume to 50%. You don't have to say up, up, up, up. You just say how much you want exactly and Siri will set it for you. I see no reason why this wouldn't work through AirPods as well, given it works on the phone itself to which AirPods are just an extension. Had to say it because this has been bugging me for a bit until I tried it today on my phone and it actually worked great.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:11 AM, bradwiggo said:

Why did they call them airpods 2, they should have called them airpods s. They do that with their phones, may as well do it here too. 

Apple has never referred to them as Airpods 2 or anything of that sort. They dont even refer to them by the year they are released like they do with new iPads. They have only referred to them as New AirPods in the initial press release and have called them simply AirPods, signifying this is an extremely minor update to an existing product that should be invisible to your average user. Only YouTubers (such as Linus) call them Airpods 2 for dramatic effect and clicks. Expecting big changes from a minor refresh is just setting yourself up for disappointment but lets be honest here: most YouTubers know this. They do it regardless because acting holier than thou while talking shit about a popular product and claiming people who buy it are either vain, stupid, misinformed or seeking status gets clicks.