Don’t remove the Samsung Galaxy Phone “screen protector”—Four reports report dead phones after removing

Blade of Grass
7 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

I mean at least if you include a written warning on the front of the screen when it's first unboxed, when people break it and moan you can just say "Fuck you"

In a more pc, Saumsung-like way :D 

Oh, they will from now on. If people who you'd consider to be knowledgeable and tech savvy fuck it up, normal people will at double the rate.

I wonder how obvious it was that there is a film over the screen and that is possible to remove it. I mean, was there a huge gap between film and bezel or super tiny that you really need to make a good effort to get it off with a finger nail or something. Also, why isn't this film under the bezel edge or totally next to it and it has a gab instead. Things I wonder coz I never seen this phone in person and probably never will lol

32 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

And if so, did they actually think that this would be a thing? 

will be interesting to see if the other folding smart phones have the same issues, because there are more coming from other manufactures .

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

will be interesting to see if the other folding smart phones have the same issues, because there are more coming from other manufactures .

I'll be interested to see how the Huawei one fares. 

Because I see more that can go wrong with that design, being an outward folding one. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Oh, they will from now on. If people who you'd consider to be knowledgeable and tech savvy fuck it up, normal people will at double the rate.

I wonder how obvious it was that there is a film over the screen and that is possible to remove it. I mean, was there a huge gap between film and bezel or super tiny that you really need to make a good effort to get it off with a finger nail or something. Also, why isn't this film under the bezel edge or totally next to it and it has a gab instead. Things I wonder coz I never seen this phone in person and probably never will lol

To be fair, I've done a similar kind of thing, but the results were quite different. On my previous phone, a Sony Xperia Z1, the screen surface was starting to flake from extensive useage; think of lacquer peel on a car bonnet, and you're on the right track.

Anyway, it had a factory applied screen protector, so perfectly applied I had to double take that it was even there. But when it did take it off...the SONY logo by the top speaker came with it!

Clearly not supposed to be removed but at the same time, it didn't removed the actual surface of the screen in any way, and there was no warning about taking it off. Aside from the logo coming off, the phone was beautiful to use once again.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

can't believe that a 1mm film is all that stands between a functioning screen and not.

I can't see this thing handling much stress without breaking it looks pretty fragile.

I assume a small drop is likely going to completely kill this thing.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

How the screen behaves when very cold. Materials get stiffer as they are cold, meaning it would just break or something if you're with the phone outside during winter lol

14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Even a red piece of paper in all language, taped to the screen, so that you HAVE TO SEE IT is not enough.

The Company I worked for many years ago had a Problem with User using wrong, incompatible "accesoirs", so there was a piece of paper on top of that - and people ignored it and still did the same shit...

If incompatible "accesoirs" are breaking something YOU designed the product wrong.  This is why standards exits.  Lots of manufactures try to lock you into your overhyped overpriced accessories that is an anti consumer practice.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Well shame but yeah, I don't see the need for these devices. They'll improve a lot before I even consider them anyway. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Why am I not surprised at all by this... 

Did Samsung actually anticipate all of this? Foldable screens haven't been produced in a number higher than that for CES demos until recently, so have they actually accounted for all the early teething pains? 

And if so, did they actually think that this would be a thing? 

I guess so that is why they doubled the price to make up for having to fix so many in the first year...

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Samsung responds as one might expect

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/17/18412572/samsung-galaxy-fold-screen-damage-statement-inspect-screen-protector

A limited number of early Galaxy Fold samples were provided to media for review. We have received a few reports regarding the main display on the samples provided. We will thoroughly inspect these units in person to determine the cause of the matter.

Separately, a few reviewers reported having removed the top layer of the display causing damage to the screen. The main display on the Galaxy Fold features a top protective layer, which is part of the display structure designed to protect the screen from unintended scratches. Removing the protective layer or adding adhesives to the main display may cause damage. We will ensure this information is clearly delivered to our customers.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

#BetaProduct

I won't be buying until the tech has had a few generations to improve and for the cost to come down because nearly 2k for a phone is just stupid.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

The media is reporting they're breaking day one and two. I'm too busy to read this thread right now, can anyone confirm for me it's only if you peel that protective layer that may not have been labelled right? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

18 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's like this cat from hell that keeps biting its own tail...

401776133_Catsmackingitself.gif.24e8bf0957ea876e7cbced006cf5fc1f.gif

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

can anyone confirm for me it's only if you peel that protective layer that may not have been labeled right? 

Nope, others have had them break without removing the film.

15 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

"This $2000 phone is more fragile than tempered glass, breaking on the slightest issue, requiring thousands of dollars in repairs to fix. Korean engineering."

Fantastic use of Doug DeMuro

15 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I forgot the PS2 was at 150 million. The PS4 is floating around 91 million.

So, if I'm understanding you right, the Pippin is the best console of all time.

Could not agree more.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

this should of just have been a concept... it's clearly still in a prototype stage.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Few more info:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

52 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Few more info:

2000 folds with robot, not even with the magnet snapping... Not going to last normal use without silk gloves. That is one hell of a fail-phone. Biggest flaw clearly is that protective layer which is part of the screen but doesn't cover whole screen so it looks really much like a normal pre-attached film protector. Like did they save 5 cents (probably a lot less) in materials when not having the top layer of the screen covering the whole screen? Or is it just designed to fail within couple of months if you don't carry it around on velvet pillow and handle it with silk gloves (which both are sold separately by App... Samsung)?

If other foldable phones have these same issues and no one has yet overcome them, I predict foldable phones will have a lot harder and longer way to become common things than VR headsets when Oculus released DK1 with all of it's faults and problems.

As far as I know less then 50? or so people have confirmed issues with the fold. By confirming I mean having pictures of their fold breaking.

I estimate that about 25% of all "reports" of the fold breaking are thr average Cult of Mac members faking stuff. 

(This is supported by the way they reacted when Linus made that video series on iMac pro repairs)

Just now, VegetableStu said:

hell of a stretch you have there ._.

I did use a bit of a hyperbole but point still stands, I assume at least two or three reports to be flat out lies and most of them just caused by ppl not reading instructions and peeling off the seal

37 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

As far as I know less then 50? or so people have confirmed issues with the fold. By confirming I mean having pictures of their fold breaking.

I estimate that about 25% of all "reports" of the fold breaking are thr average Cult of Mac members faking stuff. 

(This is supported by the way they reacted when Linus made that video series on iMac pro repairs)

I'm pretty sure it's less than 10 people who have had problems. At least from what I've seen. But it's still not available to the general public so the failure rate is still very high. 

On 4/17/2019 at 7:42 PM, fasauceome said:

This is exactly what I would have done, serious.

I ALWAY read the manual, inside and out, on such a new device.

I watched too many people kill something that's brand new because the assumed.

Yeah, I've killed new pens because I thought it was twist instead of button (was a £20 pen too, and a gift, so REAL embarrassing).

We all make mistakes, but somethings gone really wrong here. Not sure who to blame really. It is a new product, so needed consumers informing. It is a risky design, so needed more protection/testing/hardening against use... but also, many many tech reporters do stupid things (See Linus dropping and breaking a rare $2000 CPU, but at least he did not blame others for the mistake!).

[edit]

The failures from just opening/closing are bad though. This really needed to be a prototype/insider program only thing, that they perfected THEN did the big phone release. Being Apple (second to the market, but pretending to be first, but possibly perfecting the release/media/device) this time would have actually benefited Samsung. 

The problem with the Note 7 was not that it "exploded". Same with the 737... the problem was it was *rushed*. Here the Fold is again being rushed out.

Or Samsung needed an in between device to test ideas, like a $300 wrist band using the same (but smaller) panels, and then easier to perfect the folding later. 

They literally did this with the curved edges of displays and hole punch cameras/curved corners. These are all intermediary technologies, tiny little changes to the edges of existing tech, to sneak in beta testing to the millions of existing devices, then offer this (folding/cut/milit mode display). But while they perfected the edge folding for edge display, it's not a constantly flexed display on existing models. They needed something existing, to test out some small flexing, before releasing a whole phone with it.

I also suspect the second display is so if the main screen fails, you can still access the device to some extent. Damage mitigation in the wrong direction.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:49 PM, Bouzoo said:

Do you have a source that Samsung prevented them? You mean because of extra protection layer?

Either way, even if you were to use 2 of them, you would have gap in the middle, which is better than nothing if you ask me.

People in the thread were saying Samsung have been saying not to use screen protectors. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

On 4/18/2019 at 12:33 AM, Bcat00 said:

But then you will need to lug around 2 items

I felt the same way as you until recently, it does make a huge difference for those with money and want the convenience 

I fail to see the point of a tablet unless it has a desktop OS, and this doesn't. If you have a need for a tablet with a mobile OS, which is basically just a big phone, then sure I guess. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps.