Don’t remove the Samsung Galaxy Phone “screen protector”—Four reports report dead phones after removing

Blade of Grass
On 4/19/2019 at 7:49 AM, Quadriplegic said:

Well, VR headsets were are a gimmick too

Fixed that for you. ;)

On 4/19/2019 at 8:55 AM, bradwiggo said:

VR isn't a gimmick because it is a new thing entirely

The Virtual Boy says hello, and welcomes you to the 90's

7-forgotten-virtual-boy-classics.jpg.5ed90fdae493fe6c666368894b0fd2ec.jpg

Seriously, VR has been attempted for over 20 years now, and people still think it's new?

VR has been trying for almost 30 years and it failed every time. I say it failed this time too, but people furiously defend it and "prove" me wrong. No, VR failed again. And it'll keep failing because it's a flawed, broken niche tech no one really asked for but everyone made HUGE fuss about. Until we can solve the movement thing for walking, the bulk of it and price, we're not gonna have VR of any kind.

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Fixed that for you. ;)

The Virtual Boy says hello, and welcomes you to the 90's

7-forgotten-virtual-boy-classics.jpg.5ed90fdae493fe6c666368894b0fd2ec.jpg

Seriously, VR has been attempted for over 20 years now, and people still think it's new?

Yes but it actually happening and being executed in a way that isn't crap is very new. Back before games consoles and TV nd the like there were those things you put an image in and you look through two lenses so the image sortof looks 3D, and you could argue that is VR, but that's like saying phones aren't recent as 10 years ago people would put string between two cans and talk to each other using it. 

The concept of VR actually being a thing one might want to use is a very new thing. Back then (20 years ago not the pictures 3D thing) I would have said VR was more like these phones, not that it was a gimmick, more just that it was in such an early stage it wasn't really worth it unless you just really like the idea and want to support/follow the development of it. So maybe in 20 years we will have foldable phone and they will be really good and not break if you try to put a screen protector on them, but until then, what's the real point for most consumers? 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

VR has been trying for almost 30 years and it failed every time. I say it failed this time too, but people furiously defend it and "prove" me wrong. No, VR failed again. And it'll keep failing because it's a flawed, broken niche tech no one really asked for but everyone made HUGE fuss about. Until we can solve the movement thing for walking, the bulk of it and price, we're not gonna have VR of any kind.

I never really understand what people mean when they say it has failed. By what measure has it failed, there is a huge amount of interest in it today, and do people still think the headsets are £800/900, because they aren't. The oculus rift is £350. I suppose that is a lot if you're not interested in it, but if you have a decent PC then it's no where near as much as that, so if you have the interest it isn't a huge amount of money to invest. I don't see how it is "broken" and "flawed". In what way is it broken? 

As for the movement, there are various solutions, all of which have been used in games, such as teleportation. A lot of regular games won't work in VR, if that is what you are looking for then you are missing the point. VR is a completely different thing to regular gaming and a lot of VR games simply aren't possible on a monitor. I suppose if you are looking at VR as just another way to play AAA games then yes it has failed, but that's like saying your laptop is crap because you can't use it for professional photography as a camera, you've missed the point. 

I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm just wondering where you get the idea that is has failed, as I don't see it that way at all. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 

On 4/19/2019 at 8:55 AM, bradwiggo said:

VR isn't a gimmick because it is a new thing entirely

12 minutes ago, bradwiggo said:

Yes but it actually happening and being executed in a way that isn't crap is very new.

Talk about moving the goalpost.  First the technology was new (not just new, entirely new), now it's just the implementation that's new.  Make up your mind.

30 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Talk about moving the goalpost.  First the technology was new (not just new, entirely new), now it's just the implementation that's new.  Make up your mind.

VR as a concept isn't a new thing, it has probably been imagined for centuries, but the actual technology needed to pull it off is new, 2016 was the year the vive came out I think, so that is pretty new.

You actually took that out of context, full quote: "The difference between a monitor and a VR headset is like the difference between a Motorola flip phone and an Xs max. Completely different. VR isn't a gimmick because it is a new thing entirely" 

I was saying that is a new thing compared to "monitor" games. VR is completely different to monitors, it is a new thing , not an expansion of a existing thing. This phone is simply an expansion to the concept of a phone, and one that to me seems like a complete waste of money. 

You seem to have the idea that I was implying the technology was new, when what I was saying was that the format of VR is completely separate to anything we have seen before (i.e. regular "monitor" games) 

If there are any more of my comments that you would like to take out of context then go ahead, you also seem to have completely diverted from what this thread is about, instead focusing on one small comment made by me, ignoring the larger point of what I was saying. The time in history when VR became a thing doesn't matter for my point. (in fact, my original point was just that this phone seems like a gimmick and nothing to write home about, a sortof pointless addition that is so expensive it's not practical for the general public, the "VR being a gimmick" thing was started by someone else, not me, the only reason I mentioned VR was to explain why I needed a higher end GPU.) 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 

9 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

this phone has an IP rating of 00 ._. quite literally

(i bet it wouldn't pass IP10. unless it resists getting the outer shells pried open at the back with fingers)

It probably couldn't be even tested enough to give it the IP00, so it would fall into IPXX rating which means "no enough data to specify a protection rating".

4 hours ago, bradwiggo said:

but the actual technology needed to pull it off is new

It's not that new.

4 hours ago, bradwiggo said:

2016 was the year the vive came out I think,

And? Every technology that went into the Vive existed prior to it, and companies have been playing with the idea, trying to make it something worthwhile.

They failed.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 hours ago, bradwiggo said:

I never really understand what people mean when they say it has failed. By what measure has it failed, there is a huge amount of interest in it today, and do people still think the headsets are £800/900, because they aren't. The oculus rift is £350. I suppose that is a lot if you're not interested in it, but if you have a decent PC then it's no where near as much as that, so if you have the interest it isn't a huge amount of money to invest. I don't see how it is "broken" and "flawed". In what way is it broken? 

As for the movement, there are various solutions, all of which have been used in games, such as teleportation. A lot of regular games won't work in VR, if that is what you are looking for then you are missing the point. VR is a completely different thing to regular gaming and a lot of VR games simply aren't possible on a monitor. I suppose if you are looking at VR as just another way to play AAA games then yes it has failed, but that's like saying your laptop is crap because you can't use it for professional photography as a camera, you've missed the point. 

I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm just wondering where you get the idea that is has failed, as I don't see it that way at all. 

No, VR doesn't work well even for what it was designed specifically. And if you think 350€ or GBP is cheap, you're wrong again. 350€ graphic card is justifiable because you will be able to run 100% of games on it. Where 350€ VR headset works with what, 1% of games if at all? It's hard to justify pretty much any price point for such poor use of product you pay that kind of money for. Not to mention it's clumsy to use and the movement with teleportation is the dumbest thing I've seen to date and only exists because some people can't handle continuous motion using headset as it gives them nausea/sea sickness. It's basically a hack because it doesn't work with some users lol

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

No, VR doesn't work well even for what it was designed specifically. And if you think 350€ or GBP is cheap, you're wrong again. 350€ graphic card is justifiable because you will be able to run 100% of games on it. Where 350€ VR headset works with what, 1% of games if at all? It's hard to justify pretty much any price point for such poor use of product you pay that kind of money for. Not to mention it's clumsy to use and the movement with teleportation is the dumbest thing I've seen to date and only exists because some people can't handle continuous motion using headset as it gives them nausea/sea sickness. It's basically a hack because it doesn't work with some users lol

How does it not work for what it was designed specifically? Well a better question is what do you think it was designed for, maybe we just disagree as to what it was designed for. 

100% of VR games work with it, again, if you think VR and normal games are the same thing then you're missing the point. It shouldn't be compared to the price of a GPU, more to the price of a monitor, in which case they are quite cheap compared to higher end monitors. I don't know what you mean by 1% of games "if at all"? 

"It's hard to justify pretty much any price point for such poor use of product you pay that kind of money for." - I mean if you don't like the idea of VR then sure, I can't justify spending £3000 on a car because I have no interest in driving. You clearly don't seem to like VR for some reason, so yes, to you, any amount of money will be unjustifiable. 

"Not to mention it's clumsy to use and the movement with teleportation is the dumbest thing I've seen to date" - Heavily subjective evidence. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 

15 hours ago, Drak3 said:

It's not that new.

And? Every technology that went into the Vive existed prior to it, and companies have been playing with the idea, trying to make it something worthwhile.

They failed.

I mean the technology existed before the release of the products obviously, but the actual level of technology you need to get VR to work well, and the hardware to run it. It has only been made possible fairly recently. 

How did they fail? That's a very broad statement with no justification given. In my mind they didn't fail, as I mentioned to someone else, if you are looking for VR to be a simple replacement for your monitor for AAA games then yes, it failed, but that was never the point in the first place. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 

Just now, bradwiggo said:

It has only been made possible fairly recently. 

Again, false. Oculus' DK1 came out 6 years ago, and VR systems still predate it. Hell, multiple technologies necessary for the botched experience that is modern VR has existed in the consumer space for quite some time.

1 minute ago, bradwiggo said:

How did they fail?

Dev support is falling off for VR, and the user base is waining. The only area where HMDs are (relatively) strong is the commercial field, and that's still a niche that doesn't drive much momentum.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Again, false. Oculus' DK1 came out 6 years ago, and VR systems still predate it. Hell, multiple technologies necessary for the botched experience that is modern VR has existed in the consumer space for quite some time.

Dev support is falling off for VR, and the user base is waining. The only area where HMDs are (relatively) strong is the commercial field, and that's still a niche that doesn't drive much momentum.

Yes and the DK1 had a lot of problems, it made people motion sick, the screen door effect was very noticeable. That is why I mentioned the Vive by name. The technology to build the vive for a reasonable price obviously wasn't around when the DK1 first came out. The DK1 wasn't a consumer release of VR, hence the name, Dev Kit (1). 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 

Just now, bradwiggo said:

Yes and the DK1 had a lot of problems, it made people motion sick, the screen door effect was very noticeable.

You do realize that these things are also true of the Rift, Vive, and Vive Pro, right?

1 minute ago, bradwiggo said:

The DK1 wasn't a consumer release of VR,

Yes, it was. DK1 and DK2 had been comercially released when they came out. Anyone could buy them from Oculus.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You do realize that these things are also true of the Rift, Vive, and Vive Pro, right?

Yes, it was. DK1 and DK2 had been comercially released when they came out. Anyone could buy them from Oculus.

The Vive has much better tracking, a much much lower response time due to OLED screen, which leads to less motion sickness because of blur, and the screen door effect is much less visible as it has a vastly increased resolution. Some people will still feel ill when using it, but for a lot of people the difference between the DK1 and the Vive is night and day. 

They weren't intended for the greater consumer audience though, hence why what is know technically the "old" rift was called the CV1, not the CV3. Pretty sure the DK2 used a modified phone display. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 

So Samsung officially confirmed to have pushed back the release of the Fold now, I guess they figured this kind of failure rate was unacceptable on such an expensive device?

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/22/samsung-confirms-galaxy-fold-delay-shares-initial-findings-on-faulty-units/

full statement from Samsung:

We recently unveiled a completely new mobile category: a smartphone using multiple new technologies and materials to create a display that is flexible enough to fold. We are encouraged by the excitement around the Galaxy Fold.

While many reviewers shared with us the vast potential they see, some also showed us how the device needs further improvements that could ensure the best possible user experience.

To fully evaluate this feedback and run further internal tests, we have decided to delay the release of the Galaxy Fold. We plan to announce the release date in the coming weeks.

Initial findings from the inspection of reported issues on the display showed that they could be associated with impact on the top and bottom exposed areas of the hinge. There was also an instance where substances found inside the device affected the display performance.

We will take measures to strengthen the display protection. We will also enhance the guidance on care and use of the display including the protective layer so that our customers get the most out of their Galaxy Fold.

We value the trust our customers place in us and they are always our top priority. Samsung is committed to working closely with customers and partners to move the industry forward. We want to thank them for their patience and understanding.

So yeah, they realized the easily removable "protective layer" was an issue, among other things, even if they had a label on the screen not to remove it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The official delay sounds a bit like a Galaxy Note 7 redux, minus the fires... they were overly optimistic about their design and are paying the price.  Not as embarrassing since few were going to buy the Fold, but it does reinforce Samsung's reputation as a company that insists on shouting "first!" without care for the quality of the experience.

10 hours ago, Commodus said:

The official delay sounds a bit like a Galaxy Note 7 redux, minus the fires... they were overly optimistic about their design and are paying the price.  Not as embarrassing since few were going to buy the Fold, but it does reinforce Samsung's reputation as a company that insists on shouting "first!" without care for the quality of the experience.

How the hell can you say delaying a product "enforces Samsung's reputation about rushing things and not caring about the quality"? 

Seriously, I do not understand how messed up your thought process has to be to hear "Samsung delays product launch" and think "aha! Samsung is rushing a product out without caring about the quality!". 

They are doing the exact opposite of what you accuse them of doing. If you delay a product launch because of issues then clearly you care about the quality. 

And I find you accusation of" Samsung just wants to shout 'first' " equally confusing since I have seen you accuse them of mostly copying Apple without coming up with their own ideas. You can't have it both ways. 

I think this is a very good move by Samsung which should reinforce the image that they care about their customers and are not afraid to suffer large financial losses, like they did with the note 7, if it means protecting their customers from issues and problems with their devices. 

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

How the hell can you say delaying a product "enforces Samsung's reputation about rushing things and not caring about the quality"? 

Seriously, I do not understand how messed up your thought process has to be to hear "Samsung delays product launch" and think "aha! Samsung is rushing a product out without caring about the quality!". 

They are doing the exact opposite of what you accuse them of doing. If you delay a product launch because of issues then clearly you care about the quality. 

And I find you accusation of" Samsung just wants to shout 'first' " equally confusing since I have seen you accuse them of mostly copying Apple without coming up with their own ideas. You can't have it both ways. 

I think this is a very good move by Samsung which should reinforce the image that they care about their customers and are not afraid to suffer large financial losses, like they did with the note 7, if it means protecting their customers from issues and problems with their devices. 

It's a smart decision on Samsung's part, but the fact that reviewers started seeing problems almost instantly suggests that this was shoddy engineering.  The company should have caught issues this obvious (particularly the pressure on parts of the hinge) in testing months ago, not days before the launch.  I didn't think Apple's "antennagate" was acceptable, either, even if the practical impact of it was limited.

Please don't be an apologist for the Galaxy Note 7.  You do remember that Samsung initially tried to get away with simple phone swaps and avoided a thorough investigation, don't you?  That it wasn't until there was a rash of battery fires with swapped phones that it finally did what it should have done the first time around?  The company was initially more interested in keeping the phone on the market than protecting customers, and while it did learn its lesson, it did so reluctantly.

Also, there is no contradiction in what I've said.  Samsung copies its competitors (not just Apple) sometimes, not primarily or exclusively; I don't recall ever saying "mostly."  But when it's rushing to be the first on the market with a given technology, it does have a habit of releasing hardware that's rough around the edges.  It took the company multiple tries to get curved screens working well, for instance, and the Galaxy Gear had some truly baffling design decisions (like a non-removable band with a wart of a camera on it).  Sometimes Samsung does very well with originals, but you get the impression that it's a bit rudderless when it doesn't have someone else as a reference point.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's a smart decision on Samsung's part, but the fact that reviewers started seeing problems almost instantly suggests that this was shoddy engineering.  The company should have caught issues this obvious (particularly the pressure on parts of the hinge) in testing months ago, not days before the launch.  I didn't think Apple's "antennagate" was acceptable, either, even if the practical impact of it was limited.

Please don't be an apologist for the Galaxy Note 7.  You do remember that Samsung initially tried to get away with simple phone swaps and avoided a thorough investigation, don't you?  That it wasn't until there was a rash of battery fires with swapped phones that it finally did what it should have done the first time around?  The company was initially more interested in keeping the phone on the market than protecting customers, and while it did learn its lesson, it did so reluctantly.

Also, there is no contradiction in what I've said.  Samsung copies its competitors (not just Apple) sometimes, not primarily or exclusively; I don't recall ever saying "mostly."  But when it's rushing to be the first on the market with a given technology, it does have a habit of releasing hardware that's rough around the edges.  It took the company multiple tries to get curved screens working well, for instance, and the Galaxy Gear had some truly baffling design decisions (like a non-removable band with a wart of a camera on it).  Sometimes Samsung does very well with originals, but you get the impression that it's a bit rudderless when it doesn't have someone else as a reference point.

Couldn't be further from the truth. The initial decision to simply swap some phones was based on the fact that it was believed that the issues was inherent to a bad batch of batteries made in house by Samsung since those were three common point with all reported issues, it's only when the swapped phones plus the og phones that didn't have the Samsung battery starting catching fire that they decided to issue a global recall while making further investigations on what was the real cause. Which months after was discovered to be how tightly the battery was placed on the phone.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

39 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Couldn't be further from the truth. The initial decision to simply swap some phones was based on the fact that it was believed that the issues was inherent to a bad batch of batteries made in house by Samsung since those were three common point with all reported issues, it's only when the swapped phones plus the og phones that didn't have the Samsung battery starting catching fire that they decided to issue a global recall while making further investigations on what was the real cause. Which months after was discovered to be how tightly the battery was placed on the phone.

No, it's the exact truth.  You even proved it!

The whole point is that Samsung convinced itself it was just a "bad batch" using incomplete evidence.  Rather than take the Note 7 off the market until it had a definitive explanation -- the only acceptable solution -- it went with the quick, easy answer that let it get the phone back on the market.  It doesn't matter whether they sincerely believed that was the cause or not; it was an irresponsible move.

Imagine if a given car model kept spontaneously catching fire... would you want the manufacturer to make an educated guess as to what the problem was and just hope your car doesn't set you ablaze, or would you want a guaranteed fix?

17 minutes ago, Commodus said:

The whole point is that Samsung convinced itself it was just a "bad batch" using incomplete evidence.  Rather than take the Note 7 off the market until it had a definitive explanation -- the only acceptable solution -- it went with the quick, easy answer that let it get the phone back on the market.  It doesn't matter whether they sincerely believed that was the cause or not; it was an irresponsible move. 

Imagine if a given car model kept spontaneously catching fire... would you want the manufacturer to make an educated guess as to what the problem was and just hope your car doesn't set you ablaze, or would you want a guaranteed fix?

Wanna know why Samsung thought it was a bad batch? Because they did the mass recall when around 40 cases of exploding phones had been reported. After around 100 exploded phones they completely pulled the plug.

When 40 phones out of 2.5 million explodes (failure rate of 0.002%) then it's pretty reasonable to assume that it was a bad batch. I'd like to see Apple do a mass recall for a 0.002% failure rate (or around 0.004% when they completely canceled the entire phone).

And on top of that they did actually fix the original issue with the new batteries. The problem was that the new battery had a new, completely different issue.

So they did not "make an educated guess". They fixed the issue, but in doing so they caused another issue and that's when they gave up.

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

i told the event as they have unfolded

you are the one trying to make it look like Sammy pulled an Apple and simply tried to dismiss the first round of fires and just issue a swap plan for all those who had the supposedly faulty batteries.

The reality is samsung acted fast when they started to go up in flames and formulated a possible reason out of the current cases they had in their hand at the time and planned the device swap

When they replaced one started to catch fire, they still moved quickly on that and the only reasonable thing, recall and start a thorough investigation on what really was causing it. Without waiting years upon years of people complaining, without getting hit by multiple lawsuits and class actions.

Samsung can only be praised on how fast they acted and how they handled the note 7 fiasco.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

you are the one trying to make it look like Sammy pulled an Apple and simply tried to dismiss the first round of fires and just issue a swap plan for all those who had the supposedly faulty batteries.

Exploding batteries was a feature,  In no way did Apple I mean Samsung fail to properly engineer the product. ?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

i told the event as they have unfolded

The reality is samsung acted fast when they started to go up in flames and formulated a possible reason out of the current cases they had in their hand at the time and planned the device swap

When they replaced one started to catch fire, they still moved quickly on that and the only reasonable thing, recall and start a thorough investigation on what really was causing it. Without waiting years upon years of people complaining, without getting hit by multiple lawsuits and class actions.

Samsung can only be praised on how fast they acted and how they handled the note 7 fiasco.

Er,  at last check Apple hasn't had systemic hardware flaws that could hurt people.  You can be sure Apple would have acted quickly (definitely not waiting years) if it was clear iPhones were catching fire.

No, I will not kiss Samsung's ass and praise it for how it handled the Note 7.  It saw a slew of devices catching fire, posing genuine threats to people's safety, and said "you know what?  We'll just use a hasty, incomplete analysis of the issue to determine what to do next."  It should have issued an indefinite recall until it knew for sure that the phone was safe, but instead it was willing to put lives and property at risk so that it could minimize the disruption to sales.  The only good things are that it initiated a recall in the first place and that it eventually conducted the thorough investigation it should have done the first time around.