DaVinci Resolve and Fusion

DaVinci Resolve and Fusion  

7 members have voted

1. 1. DaVinci Resolve and BlackMagic Fusion

• I use only Resolve
    • I use only Fusion
    • I use both
    • I use another (Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Blender, Hitfilms, etc.), specify in comment.
    • I will stick with the free version
    • I am using the studio version (paid version)
    • I plan to upgrade to the studio version (paid version)
  2. 2. Did you read the tip in the original post?

Wondering how many here use DaVinci Resolve and/or Fusion, and whether people use the free version or the studio version.  If you use another suite of applications, it's fine too.

TIP: For those who own the paid version of Resolve or Fusion, but more specifically the versions that use the USB dongle instead of activation code.  Did you know that you can use the Fusion USB dongle to run the studio version of Resolve, and with the newest version of Fusion that is in beta right now, Fusion 16, the Resolve dongle will be supported.  You do not need to have two USB dongles connected to run both applications.  Resolve dongle is unfortunately not supported by Fusion 9, it will be in Fusion 16.

This technically means, if you own the USB dongle for Fusion you can also use DaVinci Resolve Studio 15 and maybe a few older versions, and if you own the Resolve USB dongle you can run Fusion 16 Studio (whichever version you feel like installing, beta or wait for final release).  While it may not be ethical, the way BlackMagic has designed the software means you only need to buy the USB dongle for one software to run both.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

But can you get all versions of resolve with the studio, or for example, if i buy resolve 16, is the licence locked to 16 forever, even if 17 and 18 come out?

So do i need to keep buying those licences?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

WAIT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF FUSION BEFORE. 

I was trying to find a free replacement for After effects for months and never found this somehow... Looks like I know what I'm installing when I get home.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

11 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

But can you get all versions of resolve with the studio, or for example, if i buy resolve 16, is the licence locked to 16 forever, even if 17 and 18 come out?

So do i need to keep buying those licences?

I don't know about the version with the activation code, but you can still order from BlackMagic or your local authorized distributor the USB dongle version.  With the USB dongle version you pay once and use it forever or as long as they support it.  With the activation code version, I think it is also perpetual but you need to keep your activation code safe and if you change computers I think you need to deactivate on old computer to activate on another.  You should email their technical support for official confirmation.  I prefer the USB dongle version so I can run the software on any computer.

I bought my USB dongles with version 12 and it still works for 16.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

3 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

WAIT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF FUSION BEFORE. 

I was trying to find a free replacement for After effects for months and never found this somehow... Looks like I know what I'm installing when I get home.

Fusion is a good tool but different workflow than After Effects.  Both programs have their good points and bad points.  Doing certain things in AE is faster than Fusion, but Fusion's workflow that uses nodes instead of layers lets you change one thing without having to change many other different things.

Edit: read the tip in my original post.