Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
knight_40k

Help finding a pair of decent earbuds

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am looking for a pair of earbuds that are higher quality than what I've owned in the past as I usually buy cheap $40ish pairs. I don't know much about audio specs but I want something that can play bass that won't sound like static and have good highs/mids. Do these exist in earbuds? I listen exclusively to Melodic Death Metal and Core/Djent if that makes a difference on what you recommend.

 

I use an iPod classic so they must be wired and if possible I would like a volume adjust/track skip on the cord. I know audio can be subjective but I'm looking for a starting point. My price range is $150 CAD max, hopefully something exists in this price range.


[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG || [CPU] i7 3770 @ 4.1 GHz - 1.14V || [Cooler] Zalman CNPS9900MAX || [Mobo] MSI Z77A-GD65 || [RAM] 16GB Hyper-X 1600 MHz

[GPU] Geforce GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB || [Sound] Asus Xonar DGX || [SSD] 3x 128GB Crucial M4 (Raid 0) || [HDD] 3TB Seagate 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] Dell U2715H @ 2560x1440 || [Mouse] Razer DeathAdder || [Keyboard] IBM Model M (modded) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Thermaltake Riing Plus RGB

 

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, knight_40k said:

I am looking for a pair of earbuds that are higher quality than what I've owned in the past as I usually buy cheap $40ish pairs. I don't know much about audio specs but I want something that can play bass that won't sound like static and have good highs/mids. Do these exist in earbuds? I listen exclusively to Melodic Death Metal and Core/Djent if that makes a difference on what you recommend.

 

I use an iPod classic so they must be wired and if possible I would like a volume adjust/track skip on the cord. I know audio can be subjective but I'm looking for a starting point. My price range is $150 CAD max, hopefully something exists in this price range.

Shure SE215 plus an aftermarket cable is what I'd recommend. Earbuds themselves are $120-130CAD depending on the version and the cables are 15-20CAD.


Cable: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075K9PS9R/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1


Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

 

Stille (Desktop)

i7-8700k @5.0Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX - Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Macbook Pro 2015 (Musicians live and die by these, unfortunately I need one. :/
i7-4980HQ (Liquid Metal mod) - 16GB DDR3 - Radeon M370X (Liquid Metal mod) 

El-Sleepo (ProxMox server)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 48GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware for JBOD) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 2x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Corsair CX series Power Supplies are fine

Toys: Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I left my Etymotics hf5 IEMs at home when I flew overseas last year, which sucked. Fortunately, there was a shop in England with Sennheiser CX 3.00 earbuds at 35 GBP (about $42-43 US at the time). The noise isolation is definitely better on the Etys, but the overall sound is better on the much, much cheaper Sennheisers, so I've latched onto those as my main pair of earbuds. The Etys have great noise isolation (if you insert them so far into your ear that it tickles your brain) and their sound is helped tremendously by aftermarket Comply foam tips.


Sabre - i7-8086K - MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X - AsRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - 250GB Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 - 1TB Inland Professional SSD - 960GB SanDisk Ultra II - 4TB Seagate Barracuda - Corsair RM650i - Fractal Design Meshify C White TG - Noctua NH-C14S

 

Senketsu - Ryzen 5 1600 - MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP - Gigabyte B450 AORUS M - 16GB "OEM Special" craptastic DDR4-2400 with a stunning green PCB - 500GB Dell M.2 NVMe SSD - Silverstone SF450 - ABS R206-ITX (worst/best case ever) - Wraith Spire

 

Banzai - i7-6700T - MSI RX 550 LP - Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2400 - 240GB Crucial M500 - Seasonic 300W Server PSU - HP Slimline s3200n chassis - Rosewill RCX-775-LP

 

Harvey Dent - Pentium G3258 - MSI GTX 750 Ti LP - ASUS H81M-C - 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 - 480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD (Windows 10) - Vaseky 64GB mSATA SSD (Windows XP) - Corsair SF600 - Athenatech A100BB - Arctic Alpine 11 Plus

Link to post
Share on other sites

tin audio T3 these are the guys I use. just enough bass to make them fun lots of detail in the highs and the mids . soundstage is narrower that it's older brother the t2 but a more fun  listen. I got them on massdrop when they first dropped definitely my recommendation.  

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tin-audio-t3-iem


***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 1300x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiioe10k, fiio ubtr---> Tin hifi T3, Koss ksc 75,Blon 03

 AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

Link to post
Share on other sites

also I forgot to mention they have mmcx connections so you can replace them with a mmcx cable with in line controls like this one  https://www.amazon.ca/Headphone-Cable-Microphone-Inline-Control/dp/B07C3J9F54/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mmcx+cable+inline+control&qid=1555531774&s=gateway&sr=8-1


***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 1300x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiioe10k, fiio ubtr---> Tin hifi T3, Koss ksc 75,Blon 03

 AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, knight_40k said:

I am looking for a pair of earbuds that are higher quality than what I've owned in the past as I usually buy cheap $40ish pairs. I don't know much about audio specs but I want something that can play bass that won't sound like static and have good highs/mids. Do these exist in earbuds? I listen exclusively to Melodic Death Metal and Core/Djent if that makes a difference on what you recommend.

 

I use an iPod classic so they must be wired and if possible I would like a volume adjust/track skip on the cord. I know audio can be subjective but I'm looking for a starting point. My price range is $150 CAD max, hopefully something exists in this price range.

I would look at the SHURE line of ear buds.  Google it and you will see different prices based on the quality.


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

 

On 4/17/2019 at 11:13 AM, Brink2Three said:

Shure SE215 plus an aftermarket cable is what I'd recommend. Earbuds themselves are $120-130CAD depending on the version and the cables are 15-20CAD.
Cable: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075K9PS9R/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1

 

On 4/17/2019 at 11:30 AM, aisle9 said:

I left my Etymotics hf5 IEMs at home when I flew overseas last year, which sucked. Fortunately, there was a shop in England with Sennheiser CX 3.00 earbuds at 35 GBP (about $42-43 US at the time). The noise isolation is definitely better on the Etys, but the overall sound is better on the much, much cheaper Sennheisers, so I've latched onto those as my main pair of earbuds. The Etys have great noise isolation (if you insert them so far into your ear that it tickles your brain) and their sound is helped tremendously by aftermarket Comply foam tips.

 

On 4/17/2019 at 1:07 PM, rice guru said:

tin audio T3 these are the guys I use. just enough bass to make them fun lots of detail in the highs and the mids . soundstage is narrower that it's older brother the t2 but a more fun  listen. I got them on massdrop when they first dropped definitely my recommendation.  

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tin-audio-t3-iem

 

On 4/17/2019 at 1:12 PM, Turtle Rig said:

I would look at the SHURE line of ear buds.  Google it and you will see different prices based on the quality.

 

Thanks for the recommendations. I will take a look at these brands/models and see what works best for my use.


[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG || [CPU] i7 3770 @ 4.1 GHz - 1.14V || [Cooler] Zalman CNPS9900MAX || [Mobo] MSI Z77A-GD65 || [RAM] 16GB Hyper-X 1600 MHz

[GPU] Geforce GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB || [Sound] Asus Xonar DGX || [SSD] 3x 128GB Crucial M4 (Raid 0) || [HDD] 3TB Seagate 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] Dell U2715H @ 2560x1440 || [Mouse] Razer DeathAdder || [Keyboard] IBM Model M (modded) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Thermaltake Riing Plus RGB

 

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×