Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheJSTeam

eGPU Thunderbolt 3 to 2?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello all, this is TheJSTeam, and I am thinking about getting an eGPU for my 2012 Macbook Pro, which has Thunderbolt 1, and I was wondering if I could buy a thunderbolt 3 enclosure, and use a thunderbolt 3 to 1 adapter. Would this work? Thanks!

- TheJSTeam

3 minutes ago, TheJSTeam said:

Hello all, this is TheJSTeam, and I am thinking about getting an eGPU for my 2012 Macbook Pro, which has Thunderbolt 1, and I was wondering if I could buy a thunderbolt 3 enclosure, and use a thunderbolt 3 to 1 adapter. Would this work? Thanks!

- TheJSTeam

You can use older thunderbolt 2 adapters and they will work, but you will have significant performance loss as the thunderbolt 1 connection only allows 10GB/s. 

What GPU are you planning on putting in it? and do you planning on using an external GPU or having the video passed back to the laptop? I remember an old graph that showed the falloff of older GPUs. 

If I don't respond, please tag me in your post. I'm probably AFK or responding to someone else. 

I know what sarcasm is... Sometimes.
Stille (Primary desktop)

i7-8700k @5.0Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX - Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Macbook Pro 2015 (Musicians live and die by these, unfortunately I need one. :/
i7-4980HQ (Liquid Metal mod) - 16GB DDR3 - Radeon M370X (Liquid Metal mod) 

El-BEEFO (FreeNAS server)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 32GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware for JBOD) - Kingston 128GB SSD (Scratch/cache) - 5.5TB of mixed HDDs

Corsair CX series Power Supplies are fine

Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

You can use older thunderbolt 2 adapters and they will work, but you will have significant performance loss as the thunderbolt 1 connection only allows 10GB/s. 

What GPU are you planning on putting in it? and do you planning on using an external GPU or having the video passed back to the laptop? I remember an old graph that showed the falloff of older GPUs. 

I am planning in putting in a 1050 TI 4gb (but can get a better one if needed) and planning on having the video passed back to the laptop.

15 minutes ago, TheJSTeam said:

I am planning in putting in a 1050 TI 4gb (but can get a better one if needed) and planning on having the video passed back to the laptop.

Take a look thought this thread, Specifically look at the performance of a GPU on TB1, AND look at how much more you loose passing the GPU back to the internal display. 

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/pcie-slot-dgpu-vs-thunderbolt-3-egpu-internal-display-test/

If I don't respond, please tag me in your post. I'm probably AFK or responding to someone else. 

I know what sarcasm is... Sometimes.
Stille (Primary desktop)

i7-8700k @5.0Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX - Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Macbook Pro 2015 (Musicians live and die by these, unfortunately I need one. :/
i7-4980HQ (Liquid Metal mod) - 16GB DDR3 - Radeon M370X (Liquid Metal mod) 

El-BEEFO (FreeNAS server)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 32GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware for JBOD) - Kingston 128GB SSD (Scratch/cache) - 5.5TB of mixed HDDs

Corsair CX series Power Supplies are fine