Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matrix07012

Sony Now Internally Regulates Sexual Content in Video Games

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

@Suika The government is not allowed to tell Sony to remove nudity from their games that is illegal and abuse of the first amendment.

If that's your rebuttal, I don't think you quite understand what I'm arguing.

The government is not allowed to abuse the ESRB because they want nudity gone as well.

According to who? If the US wanted to push legislation that would replace the ESRB and have all video games go through a now federally handled review board, they could. Other countries do it.

The US is not as obsessed with it as the UK or other foreign government.

I'm talking about a hypothetical so it doesn't matter what the US or UK prefer.

AO games don't get banned from every store either. 

There's nothing wrong with a retailer selling an AO rated game, it's more so that most of ESRB's partners refuse to sell them, but no platform will license an AO rated game anyway lol.

"All three major console platforms have a policy of refusing to permit AO titles on their platforms. Even a PC release poses difficulties. Although the game was greenlit on Steam after being temporarily removed from the greenlight process, Valve, like Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, has a policy of not allowing sale of AO games on its platform." - Ars Technica

anime sucks

12 minutes ago, Suika said:

If that's your rebuttal, I don't think you quite understand what I'm arguing.

Your argument was that the government is allowed to force censorship onto Sony.

According to who? If the US wanted to push legislation that would replace the ESRB and have all video games go through a now federally handled review board, they could. Other countries do it.

Ya, but see we have laws preventing abuse of things like the ESRB.  They cannot outright ban things like the UK does thanks to the first amendment.

I'm talking about a hypothetical so it doesn't matter what the US or UK prefer.

What does matter is the constitution protecting the developers.

There's nothing wrong with a retailer selling an AO rated game, it's more so that most of ESRB's partners refuse to sell them, but no platform will license an AO rated game anyway lol.

"All three major console platforms have a policy of refusing to permit AO titles on their platforms. Even a PC release poses difficulties. Although the game was greenlit on Steam after being temporarily removed from the greenlight process, Valve, like Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, has a policy of not allowing sale of AO games on its platform." - Ars Technica

Steam has Hatred, an AO game, on their store.  Sony and MS has had them on their consoles too.  You can find most of them on eBay, Play-Asia, and Amazon.  Heck, even Gamestop sold some of them.

Amazon alone is an ESRB partner, and I'm looking at 2 versions of an AO PS2 game right now on their site.  Not sure if I'm allowed to name the game here, but it is there.  In fact, they have an entire section on Amazon dedicated to AO games.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB Liquid Cooling(EK-Supremacy sTR4 RGB - Nickel, EK-CoolStream SE 280, EK-Vardar EVO 140ER Black x 2, EK-XRES 100 SPC-60 MX PWM (incl. pump), EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm - Red (6-pack), EK-DuraClear 9,5/12,7mm 3M, and Scarlet Red Premix) | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition(Replacing with a Radeon VII | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Blackout Edition with Cherry MX Silent Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Mass Drop Editions(Replacing with k712s) | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Surtr:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 Ryzen 7) | CPU Cooling: Wraith(Dark Rock Pro 4 when I get the 3700x or 3800x) | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GBs (2x8) DDR4-3200 | Storage: PNY - BX500 240 GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 770 2GB /02G-P4-2770-KR(Temp/getting a Navi card later this year) | Case: Corsair - SPEC-DELTA RGB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | CPU Cooling: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawki | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial - BX200 240 GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC | Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB511 | PSU: Corsair - CXM 550W | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Rosewill - NEON K85 RGB BR | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition 

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Your argument was that the government is allowed to force censorship onto Sony.

Yes, and there are ways they could that does not violate the first amendment, which I explained, but I'm not sure you're grasping yet.

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ya, but see we have laws preventing abuse of things like the ESRB.

Such as? I don't think there's any sort of legal challenge to replacing the ESRB with a federally run equivalent, it's just that at the moment, there's no reason to since ESRB and its partners are doing fine.

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

What does matter is the constitution protecting the developers.

I'm still not sure you're comprehending the argument I'm making, because in the hypothetical I proposed, the developers are still fully within their constitutionally given rights to publish titles with whatever adult themes they see fit, the issue that comes into play is both the accessibility of those titles, and finding platforms that would willingly license such a game.

11 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Steam has Hatred, an AO game, on their store.

Hatred was on Steam before it was given the AO rating, so Valve was put in a very awkward spot with it. Weird to see it ended up on the platform.

13 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Sony and MS has had them on their consoles too.

With the exception of GTA San Andreas, do you have any examples you'd like to share to prove your argument?

anime sucks

27 minutes ago, Suika said:

Yes, and there are ways they could that does not violate the first amendment, which I explained, but I'm not sure you're grasping yet.

Outside of changing a game's rating they really cannot do anything legally to force them to remove it.

Such as? I don't think there's any sort of legal challenge to replacing the ESRB with a federally run equivalent, it's just that at the moment, there's no reason to since ESRB and its partners are doing fine.

They cannot outright ban the nudity/force it by saying,  "Remove it now or else!"  They UK and other governments can do that, but due to the first amendment the government legally can't do shit.

I'm still not sure you're comprehending the argument I'm making, because in the hypothetical I proposed, the developers are still fully within their constitutionally given rights to publish titles with whatever adult themes they see fit, the issue that comes into play is both the accessibility of those titles, and finding platforms that would willingly license such a game.

My point is that outside of a rating system the government cannot really tell them to remove the content.  You can argue all the hypothetical arguments you want, but my point is that the first amendment prohibits the government from outright banning nudity hence why the ESRB system is in place.  They are literally not allowed to tell developers to remove it. 

Hatred was on Steam before it was given the AO rating, so Valve was put in a very awkward spot with it. Weird to see it ended up on the platform.

Hatred is not the only game that is AO on there.  There are plenty of adult anime games on there too made with RPG maker that are technically AO games.  It's just up to the developer if they want a rating in the first place they don't actually have to do it, but those are considered AO games.   Not all the adult anime games on there are made with RPG maker.  There are plenty of unrated anime games on there that are technically AO games due to the content they just go unrated.

With the exception of GTA San Andreas, do you have any examples you'd like to share to prove your argument?

Ef[It's an adult Visual novel game] and a couple of Leisure Suit Larry Games[some are M others are AO], Manhunt 2[the uncensored version is still rated M for Mature, but the ESRB system considers this the AO version.  Same with San Andreas], and a few others.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB Liquid Cooling(EK-Supremacy sTR4 RGB - Nickel, EK-CoolStream SE 280, EK-Vardar EVO 140ER Black x 2, EK-XRES 100 SPC-60 MX PWM (incl. pump), EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm - Red (6-pack), EK-DuraClear 9,5/12,7mm 3M, and Scarlet Red Premix) | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition(Replacing with a Radeon VII | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Blackout Edition with Cherry MX Silent Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Mass Drop Editions(Replacing with k712s) | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Surtr:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 Ryzen 7) | CPU Cooling: Wraith(Dark Rock Pro 4 when I get the 3700x or 3800x) | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GBs (2x8) DDR4-3200 | Storage: PNY - BX500 240 GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 770 2GB /02G-P4-2770-KR(Temp/getting a Navi card later this year) | Case: Corsair - SPEC-DELTA RGB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | CPU Cooling: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawki | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial - BX200 240 GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC | Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB511 | PSU: Corsair - CXM 550W | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Rosewill - NEON K85 RGB BR | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition 

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Outside of changing a game's rating they really cannot do anything legally to force them to remove it.

Yes, and that's my argument. A government run ratings board would not exist to remove content, only to rate it. It is then upon hardware manufacturers and retails to decide if it's worth licensing and selling the AO rated content, not the rating's board. This way, a developer's/publisher's freedom of expression is not changed in any way, but there's monetary incentive to release a game with a lower rating.

They cannot outright ban the nudity/force it by saying,  "Remove it now or else!"  They UK and other governments can do that, but due to the first amendment the government legally can't do shit.

See above.

My point is that outside of a rating system the government cannot really tell them to remove the content.  You can argue all the hypothetical arguments you want, but my point is that the first amendment prohibits the government from outright banning nudity hence why the ESRB system is in place.  They are literally not allowed to tell developers to remove it.

I'm not saying the government can or should remove content, that's not my argument at all. What I am saying is that if the US government were to assume the role of a review board, and gave games harsher ratings, it'd be a form of censorship without directly conflicting with the first amendment.

The goal of this hypothetical federally run review board isn't to ban games, it's to rate them like the ESRB, but the federal review board would just give games harsher ratings.

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Hatred is not the only game that is AO on there.  There are plenty of adult anime games on there too made with RPG maker that are technically AO games.  It's just up to the developer if they want a rating in the first place they don't actually have to do it, but those are considered AO games.

Valve isn't partnered with the ESRB anyway so I guess it makes sense.

10 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ef and a couple of Leisure Suit Larry Games, Manhunt 2, and a few others.

Yes, I'm quite aware that PC has some AO rated titles. I'm asking for examples of games that existed on Sony's or Microsoft's game consoles

41 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

In fact, they have an entire section on Amazon dedicated to AO games.

That entire section is filled with games that are given ratings from completely different review boards, not the ESRB, and one of those games is rated by the ESRB but it's just an M rated PS2 game.

Keep in mind, too, Amazon is a marketplace that just about anybody can sell on, and just about anybody can get information wrong or sell an import rated from a completely different rating board. 

anime sucks

45 minutes ago, Suika said:

-snip-

I think we are agreeing that the US gov cannot force out nudity in the same sense that foreign government cans, and can only use a shitty rating system which just makes people want the games more.

GTA San Andreas was originally released on consoles as M as that was the uncensored version.  The uncensored version of Manhunt 2 is the M one which is the one the rating system views as the AO game version, but for the same reason as San Andreas has the M title.  The PC version has the least censorship and is the only one to have the AO rating officially.  It's the Wii version and the PSP version that have the super heavy censorship, iirc.  They're AO games according to the ESRB system, but they gave them M rating originally.  Ef is an AO game according to the ESRB's own database and any English translated version will receive it according to them.  There was a Japanese lightly censored port to the PS2, but it's still an adult VN.  They also view the Leisure Suit Larry franchise as an AO franchise, always have, and only let a few of the games get away with Ms while the rating system themselves still even views those as AO games because it's Leisure Suit Larry.  They only gave one an an M based on a technicality.  I should mention that the AO version of Manhunt was sold on Amazon by Amazon for PC.  Amazon is an ESRB partner.  Also, the CDi had it's own official AO game.  I mean there are only a few of them on console, but it's more of a thing on PC.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

Surtr:

Prince of Dark Rock:

On 4/18/2019 at 11:57 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Nintendo doesn't have that (didn't find anything).

That's because Nintendo's parental controls are in a smartphone app. Really!

Officially LTT's 'coolest' member (yes, that's a pun)

The w is pronounced like v, if you're wondering!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.8GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400, Windows 10 Pro x64
More detailed specs on my profile.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rawr9 Furry Sex

People complaining about Pride Month is why there's a Pride Month

Yong Yea's Take on the Sony Censorshit: (with TOO Many Jump Cuts)

It seems like a shitty situation and SONY beeing Dictators, who don't even have a set of rules for that shit and decide it arbitarily...

But I feel the same, that it might lead to Developers dropping the Playstation as a potential release plattform because of the cost for modifying the Content...

11 hours ago, Nowak said:

That's because Nintendo's parental controls are in a smartphone app. Really!

I don't like that...

That feels like a "Stalker App"...

The PS4 Way seems better to me...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 4/18/2019 at 8:14 AM, RejZoR said:

This puritan stupidity is reaching absurd levels.

a) This is something PARENTS should be regulating, not bloody corporations or governments

b) Since when is sex, a thing that CREATES lives, less acceptable than fuck ton of games with killing (a thing that TAKES lives!)?

Wtf is wrong with our god damn retarded society? Is this the 1600's again or some shit? It seems like we've gone from puritanism into open and progressive society in the 90's and early 2000's and now we're regressing into puritanism again. Fuck me.

Honestly man, they wouldn't be doing this if it wan't what the consumers wanted. It is their goal to make money, and I have no doubt this will convince some parents to buy their children a ps4 (and, make no mistake, that is their largest market), and as such make them money.
It's Sony's platform, and it's their prerogative to do something if it makes them money.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:50 AM, matrix07012 said:

The last one isn't, but the F2P spin-off is.

There's a free to play dead or alive?

...interesting...

1 hour ago, Lehan said:

Honestly man, they wouldn't be doing this if it wan't what the consumers wanted.

That's bullshit, as said 100 times.

There are tons of examples of companies doing some shit that nobody really wants.

Just look at the last Ghostbusters movie, the last Star Wars.

Its the usual shit, that there might be some people wanting it but those are only a minority and those are often not the customer that buy Playstation Products.

If they would do a Survey, send per eMail to all people who have a PSN Account, I bet that a majority of people would not like any kind of censorshit.

1 hour ago, Lehan said:

It is their goal to make money

No, its their goal to push a certain ideology.

That is the real Problem with that shit. They do some bullshit that nobody really wants or cares about, just to force their points of view on other people.

1 hour ago, Lehan said:

, and I have no doubt this will convince some parents to buy their children a ps4 (and, make no mistake, that is their largest market), and as such make them money.

Dude...
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/my-account/parental-controls/ps4-parental-controls/

https://support.playstation.com/s/article/PS4-Parental-Controls?language=en_US

A better solution would have been to add another Level to the Parental Control stuff.

A "Sexual Content Level" would be the better solution: Give the People Control of what they want.

NOT force what you think they might or might not want on them.

Besides:
Playstation is seen as the grown up shit, with all the adult stuff (like "Killer Games") on there.

That is something contrary to the Image.

Parents probably buy them a Nintendo device than a Playstation because of Mario, Zelda and that Yoshi stuff.

1 hour ago, Lehan said:

It's Sony's platform, and it's their prerogative to do something if it makes them money.

No, its not.

They do stuff for us.
Not we for them.

Its their job to allow us to do what we like to do, as long as its in accordance with the Law.

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

...interesting...

Yeah, IIRC that swedish dude played it once...

It was a Fan Service thing on the beach, where you "play with the Girls".

Its the Dead or Alive Xtreme series.

5 hours ago, Lehan said:

Honestly man, they wouldn't be doing this if it wan't what the consumers wanted. It is their goal to make money, and I have no doubt this will convince some parents to buy their children a ps4 (and, make no mistake, that is their largest market), and as such make them money.

Still can't get past the fact how on earth did our generations before any of the stupid game ratings and all the puritanism around sexuality managed to get raised just fine? It's parent's job to control what kids consume, not state or the corporations. That's the main idiocy I don't understand. Or are today's parents just so lazy or incompetent to do so and they need to be coddled by corporations and government?

On 4/20/2019 at 8:54 AM, Mr Prince said:

Is this why mortal kombat 11 does't have jiggle boob physx anymore ? ☹

No, that's because NetherRealm has gone full hypocrite SJW with a side order of mobile gaming monetization.

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

No, that's because NetherRealm has gone full hypocrite SJW with a side order of mobile gaming monetization.

Yeah, the Ending for Jax is the best example.

Thats all the nonsense from the SJW Playbook...

It's sad that a vocal minority has the power to basically ruin (or at least degrade) things for everyone. 

Bad things happen. Collective punishment is not the solution and it was banned by the Geneva convention for a reason. While this is a far cry from a war crime, there is part of me that wishes the outrage mob were not 100% isolated from the harm/deprivation they cause others - it's literally a moral hazard. It's ironic that many of those screaming for change want 'choice' while eliminating the agency and discretion of others.

19 hours ago, JZStudios said:

...interesting...

It's called the core fighter edition.  It's been on consoles and steam for awhile.  It just restricts access to modes and content/characters in the roster.  Killer Instinct on XBO is like that too.  You just have to pay if you want the full game.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

Surtr:

Prince of Dark Rock:

18 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

It was a Fan Service thing on the beach, where you "play with the Girls".

Its the Dead or Alive Xtreme series.

Is there any other kind?

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, the Ending for Jax is the best example.

Thats all the nonsense from the SJW Playbook...

I haven't seen it, what happens?

Just now, JZStudios said:

Is there any other kind?

The not playing with Girls type that is just there?

Just now, JZStudios said:

I haven't seen it, what happens?

Just look it up...

I give you a hint: Timetravel, Slavery.

Do I need to say more?

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Just look it up...

I give you a hint: Timetravel, Slavery.

Do I need to say more?

Yeah, I saw it. Ironically the franchise cause the world to start a ratings board and now it's censoring itself with female "sex appeal" but not gratuitous violence which bars it from Japan entirely.

Also left out Reptile. How the hell do they leave out Reptile?

On 4/23/2019 at 2:03 PM, ravenshrike said:

Ah yes sexy girls not allowed but man with naked chest is totally fine🙃