My laptop is acting real weird

Vulkanized

Hey guys,

So I've recently got to borrow my friend his previous laptop and use it until I can afford a gaming PC of my own.

But after using it for a while and adding the 860 EVO I got during Black Friday the laptop started to act very weird when gaming, and as I have no clue what to do and can barely find anything online I thought to myself I should turn to the LinusTechTips Community.

So the problem I'm having is that the laptop starts to make the USB connect/ disconnect sounds, keeps giving a black screen which disappears immediately after ((seems like the PC is alt-tabbing) it now sometimes even gives me a black screen which stays and forces me to alt-tab a few times to get to the game again) and it keeps centring the cursor. The problem doesn't instantly appear when I start gaming but starts to come forward after a little while of gaming, and then it stops a few minutes after I quit gaming. This is what lead me to believe it had something to do with the GPU as it doesn't happen during a graphically light loads. There seems to be no specific performance range it can't reach as these problems even occur when playing games as Slay the Spire.

- NVIDIA GTX 760M

- Intel i7 4702MQ  @2.20 GHz

- 12 GB ram, different sticks but don't know which

- Windows 10

- No longer has a battery as it broke and had a battery-life of 30 mins max. (I'm pretty much using it as a more portable desktop, with separate mouse and keyboard)

I've gotten a few tips from people and even got suggested that the GPU is failing, but this doesn't seem to be the case, as these problems still occur when setting the NVIDIA Control Panel 3D settings to Integrated only. I'm literally clueless by now, any help would really be appreciated as this just annoys the F out of me. (Sorry Mods if I can't say F) ?

If I've forgotten to specify anything or I should give more info, please leave a comment as I have no clue what to do and this problem makes my whole game library useless ??

Thx for the help in advance

(Note, I know this is a repost, but I haven't found an answer yet and a few things have come up that might help people)

58 minutes ago, Vulkanized said:

NVIDIA Control Panel 3D settings to Integrated only

Might be the iGPU acting up. Even if you have an Nvidia dGPU inside, the first target on most of the laptops is always the iGPU which then redirects to the dGPU depending on how heavy the task is or what settings are enabled. There are exceptions like my Helios 500. Acer disables the iGPU on hardware level so you have literally no option on using the iGPU but only the dGPU.

Doesnt change the fact that it sounds like your GPU driver is crashing. Try to uninstall the current nvidia driver and install the newest available one and see if that helps any. If that doesnt do anything get the intel drivers and try that and see if that changes anything. If not your iGPU might be on the verge of dying. You can try to disable it in Device Manager but I'm not too familiar with that since my iGPU isn't even listed up there (As mentioned, disabled on hardware level)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75119/Intel-Core-i7-4702MQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-20-GHz-

It sounds like the GPU drive crashes. The connecting and disconnecting sound combined with the black screen is windows restarting the drive or falling back to  the default one.
Try to DDU the drive and reinstall a fresh one.
If that doesn't fix it, something else on your system might make the drive crash. So reinstalling windows would give you a fresh start to test.

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

I've

6 hours ago, ZeouLs said:

Might be the iGPU acting up. Even if you have an Nvidia dGPU inside, the first target on most of the laptops is always the iGPU which then redirects to the dGPU depending on how heavy the task is or what settings are enabled. There are exceptions like my Helios 500. Acer disables the iGPU on hardware level so you have literally no option on using the iGPU but only the dGPU.

Doesnt change the fact that it sounds like your GPU driver is crashing. Try to uninstall the current nvidia driver and install the newest available one and see if that helps any. If that doesnt do anything get the intel drivers and try that and see if that changes anything. If not your iGPU might be on the verge of dying. You can try to disable it in Device Manager but I'm not too familiar with that since my iGPU isn't even listed up there (As mentioned, disabled on hardware level)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75119/Intel-Core-i7-4702MQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-20-GHz-

I've started a bit of video editing and it happened again, so I'ts probably GPU related right? I know a few things about PC's but I'm not really specialized.

Thx

Update: I've rolled back the drivers of both GPUs and tried some stuff, editing worked fine, but could no longer game.

Then I updated them both again and the dGPU seemed to work just fine, but when I updated the iGPU it did the same weird thing; USB sounds etc.

So this means that that is probably the cause right?

17 hours ago, Vulkanized said:

I've

I've started a bit of video editing and it happened again, so I'ts probably GPU related right? I know a few things about PC's but I'm not really specialized.

Thx

Update: I've rolled back the drivers of both GPUs and tried some stuff, editing worked fine, but could no longer game.

Then I updated them both again and the dGPU seemed to work just fine, but when I updated the iGPU it did the same weird thing; USB sounds etc.

So this means that that is probably the cause right?

You could try to reinstall the dGPU drivers and leave the iGPU on an earlier versin of the driver that worked.