2 routers, 2 DHCP servers for QoS

Arika

Below is a veeeery basic network diagram of how i'm wanting to set up my home network. It will require 2 DHCP servers as i need to be able to apply QoS to one of the routers as the main modem/router doesn't have QoS. i know i can technically go out and buy a new modem/router with QoS for the main modem but if i dont have to spend money, i'd rather use what i have.

image.png.03c6f5e1b5255e020babc81132612156.png

I want to be able to limit bandwidth to the consoles through the second router as i have NetLimiter on both the PCs so i can throttle them as needed. unfortunately consoles dont have the ability so i would do it through the router. if i have DHCP set up on the QoS router so the consoles obtain their IP through that instead of the main modem allowing QoS to be applied.

obviously i would have to set up different gateways to avoid IP conflicts, but i have no idea what settings i need to look for so that the QoS router can accept the internet connection from the modem and then broadcast it's own closed network with different gateway and DHCP. The QoS router is a Billion 7800NXL if that helps at all

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 minutes ago, Arika S said:

--SNIP--

Wow, you're really mixing a whole lot of different concepts together in ways that make no sense. I assume you're not particularly knowledgeable about networking-stuff.

From what I understand, you want the 7800NXL to provide a separate network for the consoles. The problem is, does the device's firmware even support that? You need to go into its settings and see if you can separate one of the ethernet-ports from the rest and assign it to work as a WAN-port/upstream-port. It most likely offers no such option and in that case you can't do what you want -- you'd need to check if you can install e.g. OpenWRT on it, in that case.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

57 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You need to go into its settings and see if you can separate one of the ethernet-ports from the rest and assign it to work as a WAN-port/upstream-port. It most likely offers no such option and in that case you can't do what you want

from the looks of it, it can be set up as an access point through the EWAN port to pull the Connection through to redistribute it. i might just have to play around with it and see if i can get it working how i want it to, otherwise money will be spent :(

i know it's overly complicated, i just wish the main router had QoS....stupid Technicolour/Telstra

I assume you're not particularly knowledgeable about networking-stuff.

Christ no, i can get things working somehow, i hate doing network stuff and when it works i have no idea how.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒