Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entredt

PC will boot up when using ryzen CPU, but not athlon 240

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I am in the midst of building my friend a computer, using an RX 570, an athlon 240ge, and 8GB of ram, on an asrock b450 hdv r4.0 mobo. however, we couldnt get a post when we powered it on. I have verified that the all of the parts in the system worked, by switching out the athlon for my ryzen 5 1600, and put his athlon into my system. both systems booted with each others CPU's, so I assumed that the b450 board must have had an old bios that did not support the athlons. however, once I updated the bios to the latest version and returned the athlon to its original motherboard, there is still no signal from the monitor. please help. 

Put in a GPU to see if it boots. I suspect it is trying to boot to a dGPU that isn't there.

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX300, WD White/Red 8TB, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Corsair CX 750, CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000, ASUS and iHos BDVD-ROM, 2X Generic DVD-ROM Windows 10 Enterprise

School Laptop: Acer Chromebook 11

Phone: Galaxy Note 8, Android 9.0 (Finally got the update!!! Screw you Verizon!)

Random devices in various stages of working: Dell Inspiron 1000 (Works perfect other than battery), Late 2007 Macbook Aluminum Unibody (For Sale), Late 2009 Macbook Polycarb (Used for video editing. FCP > Premier Pro) Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

2 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Put in a GPU to see if it boots. I suspect it is trying to boot to a dGPU that isn't there.

there is a GPU. I am using an rx570 along with the athlon 200ge for the build, and there is a dp cable plugged into the graphics card and nothing plugged into the motherboard display i/o

1 minute ago, entredt said:

there is a GPU. I am using an rx570 along with the athlon 200ge for the build, and there is a dp cable plugged into the graphics card and nothing plugged into the motherboard display i/o

Oh. The do the opposite. Remove the GPU and plug in to the motherboard.

In that case, I bet it is booting to the iGPU instead of the dGPU.

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX300, WD White/Red 8TB, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Corsair CX 750, CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000, ASUS and iHos BDVD-ROM, 2X Generic DVD-ROM Windows 10 Enterprise

School Laptop: Acer Chromebook 11

Phone: Galaxy Note 8, Android 9.0 (Finally got the update!!! Screw you Verizon!)

Random devices in various stages of working: Dell Inspiron 1000 (Works perfect other than battery), Late 2007 Macbook Aluminum Unibody (For Sale), Late 2009 Macbook Polycarb (Used for video editing. FCP > Premier Pro) Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

17 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Oh. The do the opposite. Remove the GPU and plug in to the motherboard.

In that case, I bet it is booting to the iGPU instead of the dGPU.

Tried it, but still nothing. I'm about to reset the CMOS in case I didn't do it last time somehow. Thanks for your help :)

Is the RAM overclocked? do you have a 2666Mhz or 2400Mhz kit to test with, I noticed that higher speed memory is *technically* not supported on Athlon 2XXGE chips, just a guess.

Current:

Dell Precision M6700:

- CPU: i7-3720qm @ 3.8Ghz all cores
- GPU: K3000M (internal), RX 480 (external)
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Impact @ 1600Mhz
- Storage: 256GB mSATA w/ 2x750GB HDDs in RAID 0
- Display: Samsung LTN173HT02 120Hz 1080p internal display
Old:
- Custom Desktop w/ i5 4430 and RX480 (moved to eGPU)
- Inspiron 7559 w/ i5 6300hq and 4GB 960M (SOLD)

26 minutes ago, Mnky313 said:

Is the RAM overclocked? do you have a 2666Mhz or 2400Mhz kit to test with, I noticed that higher speed memory is *technically* not supported on Athlon 2XXGE chips, just a guess.

nope. the ram is certified up to 2400mhz and is running at the default 2133 at the moment.