Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
toasty99

Budget triple screen monitors?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So this may sound a little crazy but I have been gaming for the past 8-9 years on a 43 inch Samsung 720p Plasma tv. It finally is starting to break, as I have a pixel sized black line horizontally across the entire screen 1/3 of the way up. Time to upgrade I guess!

Anyways I'm stuck debating between triples (like 27 inches), or a tv in the 43-55 inch range but leaning towards triples. Primary use would be for gaming, especially racing games like iRacing. Budget is as cheap as possible. Cheapest I can find is this for monitor https://www.ebay.com/p/Dell-SE2717HR-27-Inch-HD-LED-1920-X-1080-IPS-Computer-Monitor-Black/872592861?thm=2000&chn=ps

Only problem I see with that monitor is that I'd really like a movable stand if possible. I have a 70 inch by 12 inch bookshelf I would be placing the monitors on so space is only a minor concern. I'm trying to stay cheap with monitors because if I do this upgrade I'm going to have to build a pc at the same time because I downgraded about a year ago to a gtx 780m laptop that just won't be able to handle high resolution gaming. 

Maybe we can look at this as a more holistic approach, what would your budget be for the monitors and system build, and we can try and find a good combination of the three that works for you.

Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

Maybe we can look at this as a more holistic approach, what would your budget be for the monitors and system build, and we can try and find a good combination of the three that works for you.

Well, I have a few parts from my last build just collecting dust. Got a R9 390 8gb model that I plan on using as my GPU to start with, already have a case, already have a 500GB hard drive. 

My last build was an x58 build using a xeon x5660 at 4ghz. 

This build I'm probably going to go with a Ryzen 5 1600 (only $120 right now) and just do a light overclock. Not really planning on doing any crossfire or anything, but hearing rumors the next Ryzen series won't work in B350 motherboards, so will probably spend a tad more for a B450 motherboard. For Ram, probably going to go with 16gb of 2400 MHz ram. 

Then just need a cheap 120 GB SSD for Windows and probably a 600 watt power supply.

So, in total I'm planning on spending about $300 or so for what I need to do a full build. 

I'm just trying to do a nice budget build, not to spend a ton unless there is a massive advantage to doing so. 

So, right off the bat, Ryzen absolutely loves memory speed, and the cost of getting DDR4-3000 over 2400 is negligible, especially with sales and some off brands, like OLOy. I would do B450 just in case you end up getting a Ryzen 3rd Generation down the road. I personally don't like the value or limitations of a 120GB boot drive, especially with how utterly cheap SSDs have gotten, but if you're down to your last $20, it's a lot better than not getting one.

That is a good deal for a 27" monitor, and it should be good enough.