I built a 'Computer' desk.

An7imatt3r

I've always wanted to build a computer into a desk. My initial plans were much more grand in scale and included a custom water loop. However, that wasn't as easy to upgrade or maintain when built into a desk. From start to finish the project took me about three months of work mostly done on the weekends. 

The parts of the computer itself are as follows:

• MOBO - ASUS X370 Prime Pro
  • CPU - Ryzen 1700x
  • RAM - 32GB G-Skill Trident 2400 Mhz CL 15
  • GPU - EVGA nVidia GTX 980ti
  • PSU - Seasonic - 850W Platinum 
  • OS Drive - 512GB Samsung 960 Pro
  • CPU Cooler - NZXT X72
  • GPU Cooler - NZXT X61 w/ G12
  • Case - A heaily used NZXT H440 purchased from eBay was harmed in the making this computer desk. 

I'll do my best to keep this to a mostly computer related affair, but since my computer is inside of a desk, I had to build the desk. I'll start with the basic frame. I should point out that the frame can be taken apart easily (eight total parts) and moved, a requirement since I wouldn't have been able to get it in my door otherwise. Also note the 'rails' that are inside of the frame. This is how I suspend everything. More on that later. 

39zyLxN.jpg.7096fb7e4dac250008761f399ea6dbe0.jpg

This is what it looks like with the top on it

.sXXygC9.jpg.23e3d158510e68b15858bec9c423e2aa.jpg

Everyone of course wants to show off their computer, so I had to cut a hole and then route out an indent. I probably measured this more times than I feel comfortable admitting. I custom ordered a tempered glass panel that fits flush in the cutout.

5OSNCrh.jpg.488f54a10c2541c1bc0ae525ad93d322.jpg

So how does all of this fit together? Kind of like this. The cabinet piece is completely separate and is more of a shell that sits around the computer and stands on its own. The computer sits in a bracket that is suspended by the rails built into the frame. The modular approach was important to me so I could move this large creation if I ever needed to.

Q9xSJZ1.jpg.f1061eb4aa3da528dac96bdc5077cf06.jpgew2nptq.jpg.93e4e82635223ec579f5a2ac233b6bb2.jpg

Most of what's left at this point is to build the computer into the desk. I'll spare you the finishing details of the desk and skip onto the good stuff. The computer was something I mostly already had, but it was time add some additional cooling power. I used my existing NZXT x61 to cool my 980ti and the new x72 to cool my Ryzen 1700x. Bother are overpowered for what they cool but I'm fine with that since I might want to upgrade to power hungry parts in the future (Zen 2). 

86VTiDz.jpg.e516c6b70259d7f2a03c68dbae924172.jpg

I mounted the radiators to the bracket that holds the computer. 

aBV5t5F.jpg.a34385ee3f2432d4e1e9cbf988d0bee9.jpg

Then dropped the computer in and hooked everything up! All of the heat is dealt with outside of the case. The GPU and CPU both run at ambient temperature as long as they're not under sustained load. 

A8TKL7s.jpg.73fe1487cc27efda29005a3e1ad8c851.jpg

This is it powered on for the first time in its new home. 

mAtSGDD.jpg.ff6ea1784921b5b9bad3bb5a85e3d099.jpg

The jankiest part of the whole build is the 'front' panel IO that's actually underneath the desk. This is the only place I could find to put it. It has two USB 3.0 ports, one USB C port, 3.5mm in/out, and an HDMI port. This makes it very easy to use my VR headset. The power and reset buttons are vandal switches, with the halo LED being the power switch/light and the smaller circle LED being the reset/hd button/light. Since these are under my desk, I don't ever see them, which is nice because they're kind of bright. 

LrnCki5.jpg.e5f95911476ec62a70df299a1b477c98.jpg

This is all finished. I added two drawers below the computer for storage. 

uZFs8rn.jpg.90748c5606e687e08d72fd9cd103ec2c.jpg

I'm happy to answer any questions. Thanks for taking a look. 

Edited by An7imatt3r
Extra picture at the end was unintended.

I love the implementation of this, it's nicely done, great craftsmanship. :)

Have you had the chance to test the temperatures? I imagine the NZXT H440 combined with the PC being quite literally inside the desk might impact the temperatures a bit.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

18 hours ago, An7imatt3r said:

I've always wanted to build a computer into a desk. My initial plans were much more grand in scale and included a custom water loop. However, that wasn't as easy to upgrade or maintain when built into a desk. From start to finish the project took me about three months of work mostly done on the weekends. 

The parts of the computer itself are as follows:

• MOBO - ASUS X370 Prime Pro
  • CPU - Ryzen 1700x
  • RAM - 32GB G-Skill Trident 2400 Mhz CL 15
  • GPU - EVGA nVidia GTX 980ti
  • PSU - Seasonic - 850W Platinum 
  • OS Drive - 512GB Samsung 960 Pro
  • CPU Cooler - NZXT X72
  • GPU Cooler - NZXT X61 w/ G12
  • Case - A heaily used NZXT H440 purchased from eBay was harmed in the making this computer desk. 

I'll do my best to keep this to a mostly computer related affair, but since my computer is inside of a desk, I had to build the desk. I'll start with the basic frame. I should point out that the frame can be taken apart easily (eight total parts) and moved, a requirement since I wouldn't have been able to get it in my door otherwise. Also note the 'rails' that are inside of the frame. This is how I suspend everything. More on that later. 

Everyone of course wants to show off their computer, so I had to cut a hole and then route out an indent. I probably measured this more times than I feel comfortable admitting. 

So how does all of this fit together? Kind of like this. The cabinet piece is completely separate and is more of a shell that sits around the computer and stands on its own. The computer sits in a bracket that is suspended by the rails built into the frame. The modular approach was important to me so I could move this large creation if I ever needed to.

Most of what's left at this point is to build the computer into the desk. I'll spare you the finishing details of the desk and skip onto the good stuff. The computer was something I mostly already had, but it was time add some additional cooling power. I used my existing NZXT x61 to cool my 980ti and the new x72 to cool my Ryzen 1700x. Bother are overpowered for what they cool but I'm fine with that since I might want to upgrade to power hungry parts in the future (Zen 2). 

I mounted the radiators to the bracket the holds the computer. 

Then dropped the computer in and hooked everything up! All of the heat is deal with outside of the case. The GPU and CPU both run at ambient temperature as long as they're not under sustained load. 

This is it powered on for the first time in its new home. 

The jankiest part of the whole build is the 'front' panel IO that's actually underneath the desk. This is the only place I could find to put it. It has two USB 3.0 ports, one USB C port, 3.5mm in/out, and an HDMI port. This makes it very easy to use my VR headset. The power and reset buttons are vandal switches, with the halo LED being the power switch/light and the smaller circle LED being the reset/hd button/light. Since these are under my desk, I don't ever see them, which is nice because they're kind of bright. 

This is all finished. I added two drawers below the computer for storage. 

I'm happy to answer any questions. Thanks for taking a look. 

I like the case being inside the desk, looks like a little cave of components

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

30 minutes ago, An7imatt3r said:

That is some DANK af joining work going on. Shame that its not more of a prominent feature in the completed build. 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

45 minutes ago, seoz said:

I love the implementation of this, it's nicely done, great craftsmanship. :)

Have you had the chance to test the temperatures? I imagine the NZXT H440 combined with the PC being quite literally inside the desk might impact the temperatures a bit.

Both CPU and GPU idle at ~27C and max out at around 55C if I keep them under 100% load. Most day to day work loads/gaming see them somewhere between. 

Because the radiators are not even mounted inside the H440, but rather to the frame of the desk, they pull in fresh air that wasn't run through the computer and exhaust the heat outside of the desk. It runs exceptionally cool all the time. 

27 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

That is some DANK af joining work going on. Shame that its not more of a prominent feature in the completed build. 

I'm hoping I'm aloud to post imgur links. There's way more focus on that portion of the build here if that's your type of thing: https://imgur.com/a/dJK2A6Z

17 minutes ago, An7imatt3r said:

Both CPU and GPU idle at ~27C and max out at around 55C if I keep them under 100% load. Most day to day work loads/gaming see them somewhere between. 

Because the radiators are not even mounted inside the H440, but rather to the frame of the desk, they pull in fresh air that wasn't run through the computer and exhaust the heat outside of the desk. It runs exceptionally cool all the time. 

That's so awesome, I love that you've planned that out so smoothly. :) Excellent work.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

9 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

You know what, I think this is cooler than the usual PC built inside the desk idea. Very nice job!

Thanks! The usual ones are what inspired me. The concept of the computer being both hidden and apart of the desk intrigued me, I just didn't want it that hidden. 

Totally different angle on a PC desk than I was expecting - and I admit - this looks more along the lines of something I could accomplish without messing up to bad (rather than the grand ideas Ive had that Ive never even tried to begin with as it all felt way to custom for my skills) as the computer itself isn't in a position for you mess up but is awesomely displayed in a unique way.

Bravo!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Please tell me you're going to seal that wood?!

Nice build.  I like this type of computer desk.  The external AIO is a cool touch.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 hour ago, Velcade said:

Please tell me you're going to seal that wood?!

Everything pictured in the final photo is sealed. The top of the desk has over seven coats of non-glossy polycrylic finish on it. The other parts have about three coats on them.