Direct Optical Fiber adapted to Desktop?

Budgetclocker

I have been looking at the speeds advertised for different networks and the prices of the equipment for these respective networks, but I wondered: is there a way to connect an optical fiber connection directly to a desktop computer via some sort of expansion card?

To clarify this, I want to know if it is possible to have an internet connection by an optical fiber cable connected directly to a network adapter card in the desktop.

49 minutes ago, Budgetclocker said:

I have been looking at the speeds advertised for different networks and the prices of the equipment for these respective networks, but I wondered: is there a way to connect an optical fiber connection directly to a desktop computer via some sort of expansion card?

To clarify this, I want to know if it is possible to have an internet connection by an optical fiber cable connected directly to a network adapter card in the desktop.

Id say yes. But you have to be careful because there are different standards when it comes to Fiber. I do know that Comcast's Gigabit Pro (2Gbps/2Gbps) the media converter they supply provides a 1 Gbps Ethernet port and a 10 Gbps Fiber port. So technically you could hook in to the Fiber port and run a wire to your computer, and yes they do have add on cards that do Fiber. Many people would use one of these cards for PFsense to provide a WAN connection to their router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 hours ago, Budgetclocker said:

is there a way to connect an optical fiber connection directly to a desktop computer via some sort of expansion card?

well it depent what kind of Fiber do you have? A Glasfiber? Something who called "Fiberpower" here who is DSL? So "Fiber" could mean Internet via "Cable TV".

Here the have some Cards where you can put in an SFP Module in: https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_1135_LAN.html

From AT. :x

23 hours ago, Budgetclocker said:

I don't know what the other guys here are talking about but if it's regular old fibre you just need an PCI-E Card for an "SFP" port and and a fitting SFP module (falsely known as a GBIC), either single mode or multimode.

8 hours ago, Acedia said:

I don't know what the other guys here are talking about but if it's regular old fibre you just need an PCI-E Card for an "SFP" port and and a fitting SFP module (falsely known as a GBIC), either single mode or multimode.

The op would also need to figure out how to authenticate to the isp if what he's doing is connecting direct to isp. Usually it's gonna be pppoe (with some sort of vlan tagging) or DHCP and it might need finagling with configs to get it to actually connect. Unless he means to connect from fiber media from a router or a switch or something then that's whatever he set on those boxes.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master