Intel readies the 9th generation low-power CPUs - a 35W i9?

Djole123
9 hours ago, mr moose said:

They are probably no good for laptops unless the laptops have really good thermal solutions.  The base clock is rather low except on the lower core count CPU's. Which makes them low end desktop parts/utility parts rather than mobile solutions.

Well, my thiccpad has a 35W cpu and while it isn't very cool it also doesn't throttle like laptop i9 chips...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

31 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Well, my thiccpad has a 35W cpu and while it isn't very cool it also doesn't throttle like laptop i9 chips...

That indicates that your thinkpad has a well designed cooling solution for the CPU. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

35W at 2.1GHz. Don't even want to know how much power it chugs at anything more than that...

10 hours ago, williamcll said:

I wonder would the 9900T beat the 2700X in efficency.

Technically the i9 9900K when at full stock already is more efficient than the Ryzen 7 2700X....

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I want to thank everyone for their responses to my OP.  I love LTT, you guys are soo kind and nice and helpful unlike some other forums I had joined, but I strictly only use LTT and I love it here.  Thanks all  :)

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Can intel stop with this artificial weakening of their chips by disabling hyperthreading on anything but the flagships chips? Why is there not a 6c/12t or 4C/8t option??

Maybe continued pressure by AMD will finally force them to include unlocked multipliers and HT on all their chips. Arbitrarily disabling features that are already built into the chips is just devious. It’s like buying a car that has a radio but it’s disabled in the base model and they just plug it in if you pay extra.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Technically the i9 9900K when at full stock already is more efficient than the Ryzen 7 2700X....

IIRC the 9900K is 15% faster in Cinebench for 40-50% more power - this is when running in turbo-boost 4.7GHz on all-cores. I would be interested to see the performance comparison if the 9900K was limited to 95w. Ryzen is actually more power efficient in that example.

3 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

IIRC the 9900K is 15% faster in Cinebench for 40-50% more power - this is when running in turbo-boost 4.7GHz on all-cores. I would be interested to see the performance comparison if the 9900K was limited to 95w. Ryzen is actually more power efficient in that example.

I actually found some results where the 9900K was limited to 95w and it was on-par performance-wise with the 2700X (when all-cores are loaded, non-AVX), but the 2700X TDP is 105w so roughly 10% more power draw for the Ryzen at equivalent performance.

Okay, I definitely live on the red side of life, but come on. If this was AMD releasing lower powered Ryzen CPUs everyone here would have a much more positive reaction.

(It's hilarious how just about 2 years ago it was the opposite way, damn things change quick!)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

According to AnandTech, Intel's TDP is based on the base frequency, not the turbo frequency (which makes sense because remember: Turbo is not a guarantee). So for something like the i7-8700T which turbos to 3.8GHz fully loaded, assuming it's really a 35W part at 2.4GHz, it'll be somewhere around 55W at fully loaded turbo.

5 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Can intel stop with this artificial weakening of their chips by disabling hyperthreading on anything but the flagships chips? Why is there not a 6c/12t or 4C/8t option??

Maybe continued pressure by AMD will finally force them to include unlocked multipliers and HT on all their chips. Arbitrarily disabling features that are already built into the chips is just devious. It’s like buying a car that has a radio but it’s disabled in the base model and they just plug it in if you pay extra.

Maybe they are reject chips that don't work with HT enabled, at any rate, why would they enable HT and make all chips higher performing but sell some cheaper? 

As a scale of sales go, a company must provide options for all levels of consumer demand, some consumers can't afford top of the line, but if they make top of the line cheaper, then they'll need more sales than they have customers in order to maintain revenue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

To add what @mr moose says, believe it or not, what drives Intel and I daresay many other hardware manufacturers isn't us, the DIYer. It's large system building companies.

If the system builder wants something stupid and they have the cash to pay for it, the manufacturer will build it.

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

To add what @mr moose says, believe it or not, what drives Intel and I daresay many other hardware manufacturers isn't us, the DIYer. It's large system building companies.

If the system builder wants something stupid and they have the cash to pay for it, the manufacturer will build it.

Agreed, DIY market is a relatively small fry compared to your bigger laptop and desktop manufacturers. In the end, on the PC side of things at least, the real money is in enterprise. That's been Microsoft's focus for a long time and companies like Dell and Lenovo try and secure contracts will large organisations because that's where the biggest gains are.

Sometimes we can get a little caught up in our custom PC and custom hardware bubble but we're really not the priority. I mean look at NVIDIA, most of their developments these days are not strictly around gaming but machine learning and their data centre efforts, both aimed at enterprise markets.