Basic server help

New user to the forum but was looking for some insight on game servers. My buddy just got a server rack for free and wants to throw a server in there. It would be used to host game servers for a couple of us(around 6 ish people).

Games would be mainly minecraft, rust, terraria. I have built computers before but servers are a completely different ballpark for me.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

18 minutes ago, GangTroll said:

New user to the forum but was looking for some insight on game servers. My buddy just got a server rack for free and wants to throw a server in there. It would be used to host game servers for a couple of us(around 6 ish people).

Games would be mainly minecraft, rust, terraria. I have built computers before but servers are a completely different ballpark for me.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

I don't know about Rust or Terraria, But Minecraft (Bedrock edition, you need more expensive hardware for JAVA) seem to run just fine on an old Core 2 Quad desktop.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

7 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Is the rack a necessity? Or more for the fun of using it?

more of fun using it to be honest.

Minecraft servers aren't very demanding, they mostly scale off of RAM. Throw together a decent (consumer grade) build, without a GPU and you should be off to the races, beware though, server cases can be really expencive. I'd recommend looking for a 2u/4u case on ebay or something, they should fit standard ATX mobos, you may have to check CPU cooler clearance, other than that you should be fine.

What OS will you be using? Are you planning to run VMs? Where will the server be located? In a datacenter or just in someones closet? Can you adress the server with a static IP?

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably