Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timl132

6-bit panels? And how to tell them apart.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

So I recently discovered 6-bit laptop screens exist. I was using my dad's laptop for a while and kept being annoyed by these grey vertical lines. After some googling I discovered that's because of the 6-bit panel and dithering.

I am actually looking for a laptop and have myself stumbled upon some HP laptops with 6-bit panels.(The cheaper I7 and Ryzen laptops)

So I'm wondering, since the bitness isn't specified in description or the manafacturer site of the laptops, how can I tell if something has a 6-bit panel?

Are there things to look out for? Certain models/product lines to avoid?

Thanks!

(And while I'm at it, maybe a good ryzen/I7 laptop for under $850, iGPU is fine, but an mx150 is prefered, 1080p screen(ips) and fingerprint would also be nice)

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

If it's a TN panel, it's 6-bit. If it's an IPS panel on a cheaper device, it's likely 6-bit.

It's IPS on a cheaper device. So the only thing I cna do is buy more expensive models?

And is it a fact that all TN panels are 6-bit?

6 minutes ago, timl132 said:

It's IPS on a cheaper device. So the only thing I cna do is buy more expensive models?

It's not an exact guarantee, but if it's a more expensive monitor, it likely has an 8-bit display or better.

6 minutes ago, timl132 said:

And is it a fact that all TN panels are 6-bit?

As far as I know, every TN panel has been 6-bit.

14 hours ago, Glenwing said:

It's fairly standard, most panels on laptops and even low to mid-range monitors use 6-bit + FRC panels.

And I would be okay with that. The problem is that my dad's laptop, which has a 6-bit panel, also has grey lines betwen the pixels on certain colors(mostly blue).

I found this to be a real eye sour and really don't want that. And according to the internet, grey lines between pixels can be a thing 6-bit panels do.(Maybe because of dithering?)

Are 8-bit panels really that uncommon?