Computer Keyboard Broken Potentially - Please Help

Boomwebsearch

Hi LinusTechTips Community, today my UER branded keyboard stopped working and it happened when my computer was in sleep mode and when starting back and going to sign-in I realized that the keyboard did not work when I tried to type my password in and the lights for numb-lock, scroll-lock, and caps-lock were not illuminating even when I tried to turn them on. It did show up with a popup that the device malfunctioned and told me to reconnect it and if Windows 10 still did not recognize it then it could potentially not be working properly. I am now using a spare keyboard and it worked fine when I plugged it in although much rather prefer my other one which I am concerned is broken internally. Please help me resolve this issue which I am having with my computer keyboard. -thanks @Boomwebsearch

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

15 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Hi LinusTechTips Community, today my UER branded keyboard stopped working and it happened when my computer was in sleep mode and when starting back and going to sign-in I realized that the keyboard did not work when I tried to type my password in and the lights for numb-lock, scroll-lock, and caps-lock were not illuminating even when I tried to turn them on. It did show up with a popup that the device malfunctioned and told me to reconnect it and if Windows 10 still did not recognize it then it could potentially not be working properly. I am now using a spare keyboard and it worked fine when I plugged it in although much rather prefer my other one which I am concerned is broken internally. Please help me resolve this issue which I am having with my computer keyboard. -thanks @Boomwebsearch

UER branded ? What is that? 

3 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

UER branded ? What is that? 

UER stands for United-States Electronics Recycling which shows that the product is made from environmentally sustainable materials. I will admit that the overall quality of the product is really low as there is a low of deck-flex during normal operation of the device and that the key printings wear out super easily, if you take your nail and try to run against any key cap the printing fades and wears out almost instantly. I will include a link to the product although the main reason I bought it was because of the layout of the keys and having a larger enter button integrated.

3 hours ago, kidroc666 said:

then ya i'd say it's bad then.

I am thinking so at this point, tried connecting it to a Chromebook and nothing happened and a Windows 7 system and still it did not get detected. The cable is in good shape although the electronics are likely very poorly designed and I read an article that keyboards being left on in the initial power on state can damage them especially if they are of low quality and I left it on that state while the computer was put in sleep for like 2 days or so, and therefore believe that the keyboard was damaged electronically from that. I disabled the function for my new keyboard which I am now using as a replacement to prevent the same issue from happening again. I have gotten so used to typing on the UER keyboard that it is kind of hard to switch to this one which is a standard HP keyboard.

link to the aforementioned UER branded product within this post:   https://www.refurbishedpc.com/collections/peripherals/products/clearance-brand-new-usb-wired-keyboard-color-black-free-and-fast-shipping

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

44 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

UER stands for United-States Electronics Recycling which shows that the product is made from environmentally sustainable materials. I will admit that the overall quality of the product is really low as there is a low of deck-flex during normal operation of the device and that the key printings wear out super easily, if you take your nail and try to run against any key cap the printing fades and wears out almost instantly. I will include a link to the product although the main reason I bought it was because of the layout of the keys and having a larger enter button integrated.

I am thinking so at this point, tried connecting it to a Chromebook and nothing happened and a Windows 7 system and still it did not get detected. The cable is in good shape although the electronics are likely very poorly designed and I read an article that keyboards being left on in the initial power on state can damage them especially if they are of low quality and I left it on that state while the computer was put in sleep for like 2 days or so, and therefore believe that the keyboard was damaged electronically from that. I disabled the function for my new keyboard which I am now using as a replacement to prevent the same issue from happening again. I have gotten so used to typing on the UER keyboard that it is kind of hard to switch to this one which is a standard HP keyboard.

link to the aforementioned UER branded product within this post:   https://www.refurbishedpc.com/collections/peripherals/products/clearance-brand-new-usb-wired-keyboard-color-black-free-and-fast-shipping

It's 15 dollar board,if you like the layout so much,just get another one. Not worth the hassle. It's just a very cheap board and it would be more environmentally sustainable to get better board in that layout,because you will be replacing these pretty often... Finding that layout might be not easy but possible, I think.