Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bhavzzz

Extra ordinarily high Corsair PSU Efficiency

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi Guys

 

So I have a Corsair HX850i and I noticed I was getting efficiency of over 100% according to iCue which also coincided with system lockups which completely froze the system and all lighting effects stopped, and when the system "resumed" all devices connected to my Corsair Commander Pro seemed to turn off and then restart. I've tuned back my overclock and 

the issue persisted. Eventually I had 2 BSOD's with an error on "nvlddmkm.sys"  with error code: "VIDEO TDR FAILURE" (Everything, including display, turned off right before the BSOD). After the second BSOD the system felt completely stable again which really threw me off.

 

Naturally, I assumed Nvidia driver issues so I DDU'd and reinstalled, and everything was fine, but everything was fine immediately after the second BSOD.

 

So what I'm wondering, is whether the efficiency is a symptom or am I looking in the completely wrong direction? If I need to I'm more than happy to RMA the PSU but should I be looking elsewhere?

 

Any help appreciated

 

System Specs:

Asus ROG Strix z270-H

Intel 6600k

Nvidia RTX 2080

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be the iCUE software, I had problems with it to start with. It messed my keyboard up. I thought it was overheating or something, which would have been ridiculous. So I got rid of iCUE, and the keyboard was perfectly fine afterwards. It probably isn't that, but you could try getting rid of iCUE for a few days and see what happens.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Could be the iCUE software, I had problems with it to start with. It messed my keyboard up. I thought it was overheating or something, which would have been ridiculous. So I got rid of iCUE, and the keyboard was perfectly fine afterwards. It probably isn't that, but you could try getting rid of iCUE for a few days and see what happens.

 

 

I agree with MeatFeastMan iCue is horrible... Use Corsair Link instead but you will lose your RGB sighs.  Something tells me its your PSU my friend.  I mean if you don't overclock with the rig you have, you should never get BSOD or freezes etc.  Make sure to go to BIOS and set optimal defaults, so no OCing for now.so we can make certain its the PSU failing.  


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Really? I get that iCUE is hot garbage, but causing system lock ups and BSOD? 

 

I honestly assumed it had to be one of the Board/CPU, PSU, or commander pro.

 

Still worth an RMA?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bhavzzz said:

Really? I get that iCUE is hot garbage, but causing system lock ups and BSOD? 

 

I honestly assumed it had to be one of the Board/CPU, PSU, or commander pro.

 

Still worth an RMA?

Yes like I said the PSU might be dying a slow death.  


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't care about PSU readings tbh, they are never accurate across the range of operation.


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes like I said the PSU might be dying a slow death.  

Thats sad. Been solid overall thus far. 

 

The funny thing is, not too long ago I was having similar lockups before I got the new GPU, and I pretty much narrowed it down to my old wifi/bt card and ever since then it was perfectly fine. The resurgence of the issues got me wondering if it was something else. RMA and hope for the best I suppose. Need a solid PSU for the planned CPU upgrade this year

 

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I wouldn't care about PSU readings tbh, they are never accurate across the range of operation.

I figured, but it might help explain the loss of lighting completely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bhavzzz said:

Thats sad. Been solid overall thus far. 

 

The funny thing is, not too long ago I was having similar lockups before I got the new GPU, and I pretty much narrowed it down to my old wifi/bt card and ever since then it was perfectly fine. The resurgence of the issues got me wondering if it was something else. RMA and hope for the best I suppose. Need a solid PSU for the planned CPU upgrade this year

 

I figured, but it might help explain the loss of lighting completely.

Now more then ever I believe its the PSU,  Those efficient percentage should not be at 100 percent, as that is impossible.  For this reason alone I believe its the PSU gone south.


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your rig is solid and new,  No reason to be the video cards fault or RAM fault or motherboard fault.  Im pointing my finger at the PSU especially showing incorrect efficient numbers.


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an HX850i, an HX1000i, and an AX1200i all of them show somethign similar in iCue once in a while.  It is momentary, but it shows that the efficiency is 108% for a second then drops back to in the high 90% range.  I would assume that it caused by the software not updating one number fast enough and therefore it is not showing an accurate number.

 

I did not realize iCUe was that bad.  But will admit that it uses a much larger portion of memory than it should and when you provide it deep access to the RAM lighting the amount of CPU power it consumes is high.


BLACK and BLUE Build

i9-9900K - 5.2 Ghz @ 1.305 vCore, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (@ 3200 Mhz), Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Extreme, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 970 Pro, Samsung 970 EVO, Dual Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Tower 900, AX1500i

 

VR Build

i7-8700K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.36 vCore, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (@ 3200 Mhz), Asus Maximus X Hero (Wi Fi ac), 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition, Toshiba NVME, Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Core P5, HX1000i

 

FreeNAS Server Build

Pentium G5400, 8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury (@ 2400 MHz), Asrock H370M-ITX/ac, Intel 320 System SSD, 4x Hitachi 7200K 4 TB HDD, Thermaltake TR2 650W, Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120, Bit Fenix Prodigy

 

Daughter's First BuildCore i3-6100, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (@ 2133 MHz), Asrock H270M-ITX/ac, XFX RX-580 GTS, Custom Watercooling (Both CPU and GPU) 2x Corsair Force LS, PowerSpec 550w, NZXT H200i

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
31 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Your rig is solid and new,  No reason to be the video cards fault or RAM fault or motherboard fault.  Im pointing my finger at the PSU especially showing incorrect efficient numbers.

Well, besides the CPU and PSU everything in the system is brand new as well. 

 

19 minutes ago, GMart84 said:

I have an HX850i, an HX1000i, and an AX1200i all of them show somethign similar in iCue once in a while.  It is momentary, but it shows that the efficiency is 108% for a second then drops back to in the high 90% range.  I would assume that it caused by the software not updating one number fast enough and therefore it is not showing an accurate number.

 

I did not realize iCUe was that bad.  But will admit that it uses a much larger portion of memory than it should and when you provide it deep access to the RAM lighting the amount of CPU power it consumes is high.

It was momentary, but it generally coincided with the system lockups, so I had enough time to pull out my phone and take a photo of 152% efficiency etc. We'll have to see if the psu will even get replaced. I guess they'll have to replicate the issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, GMart84 said:

I have an HX850i, an HX1000i, and an AX1200i all of them show somethign similar in iCue once in a while.  It is momentary, but it shows that the efficiency is 108% for a second then drops back to in the high 90% range.  I would assume that it caused by the software not updating one number fast enough and therefore it is not showing an accurate number.

 

I did not realize iCUe was that bad.  But will admit that it uses a much larger portion of memory than it should and when you provide it deep access to the RAM lighting the amount of CPU power it consumes is high.

Def use Corsair Link instead, it has no issues and its accurate.  I have no idea how you get 108 efficiency, that is incorrect,  More like in the 90's ......


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×